Upcoming Games

(UTC times)

Full list
Add a game

Upcoming Events

No events to display

Kings Cross 1955 Steam Timetable

You are here: Home > Forum > Simulations > Timetables > King's Cross > Kings Cross 1955 Steam Timetable

Page 1 of 1

Kings Cross 1955 Steam Timetable 23/01/2011 at 01:07 #2285
BarryM
2158 posts
Quizman, You have gone to a lot of great work. Did you do an analysis of the timetable? There are over 1200 warnings. Most of the warnings relate to the way you change engines. In the timetable activities, the Next command should be the last entry.
Barry

Barry, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Kings Cross 1955 Steam Timetable 23/01/2011 at 01:07 #13305
BarryM
2158 posts
Quizman, You have gone to a lot of great work. Did you do an analysis of the timetable? There are over 1200 warnings. Most of the warnings relate to the way you change engines. In the timetable activities, the Next command should be the last entry.
Barry

Kings Cross 1955 Steam Timetable 23/01/2011 at 09:39 #13307
Quizman
276 posts
Barry - Yes I did and I realise is does not conform to the 'proper' way of doing things. However I took the decision, rightly or wrongly, that because of the complexity of the timetable, and to assist Simmers working alone, that the changing of loco's follows the logical (i.e. the way the changes would actually happen in real life) way. e.g. train arrives, loco detaches, stock becomes the next working and is joined by the new loco. By having to manually input the new working number it also assists when the 'new' loco appears as it is easy to identify to which platform the loco should go to, particularly if the platforms are out of sequence because of failures, late working etc. etc. "Rule - A generalized statement that describes what is true in most or all cases" or in my case I just wanted to be blxxdy awkward! Please don't lose too much sleep over it as long as the sim works. LOL
Steve

Kings Cross 1955 Steam Timetable 23/01/2011 at 12:49 #13313
BarryM
2158 posts
Quizman said:
Barry - Yes I did and I realise is does not conform to the 'proper' way of doing things.

Steve, thats fine by me as long as it works.
Noted a couple of minor adjustments needed so far.
1. 9H51 is tabled to KX P9. Its next trip 2H51 is tabled from P7.
2. 9U52 clashes with 2Y35 at Finsbury Park P1.
Barry

Kings Cross 1955 Steam Timetable 23/01/2011 at 12:53 #13314
Quizman
276 posts
Thanks for the adjustments anymore just keep 'em coming!
Kings Cross 1955 Steam Timetable 23/01/2011 at 20:55 #13323
UKTrainMan
1803 posts
I note that many stopper trains ('all shacks' / 'every lamp post', etc, etc) seem to be tt'ed to stop at Welham Green, yet the Wikipedia article for the station shows it as having opened in September 1986.

::

Any views and / or opinions expressed by myself are from me personally and do not represent those of any company I either work for or am a consultant for.
Kings Cross 1955 Steam Timetable 24/01/2011 at 13:13 #13326
Quizman
276 posts
As with all things 'in the past' compromises have to be made and yes you are correct in the fact that Welham Green did not exist in this era however to maintain some sort of resemblence to the timetable, and remember that trains were slower in those days, I inserted this stop so as to get timings at PB and WGC as near as possible to the timetable. Conversely, there was also a station called 'Three Counties' which was between Hitchin and Arlesley which obviously did not appear on the sim so again compromises had to be made. I believe Three Counties closed in 1958 at the same time as Arlesley however Arlesley reopened some time later. The timetable also shows services from Hitchin to Bedford which terminated where Hitchin Down Yard is located. The lack of passenger services between Hertford North and Hitchin seems to be explained by the fact that Watton at Stone had closed in the 1920's along with another one called Stapleford for which there seems to be very little history but was still showing in the timetable! I'm sure more facts can be gleaned from the usual sources.
Re: Kings Cross 1955 Steam Timetable 20/01/2012 at 23:49 #27841
paul120
1 posts
A lot of work has gone into WTT Here are some detail note on locos. N2s ruled the suburban roost, N7s had a small allocation at Hatfield {see GNR Engines Sheds, Booklaw publ] Shunters J50 & J52s
No D49s or J39s south of Peterborough. B17/B2 more common than B12s. [Pre war D16s & C2s on Cambridge trains]
Nice to see plenty of Streaks.
As an asside I have a 1974-75 WTT

Re: Kings Cross 1955 Steam Timetable 21/01/2012 at 08:50 #27847
paul87101
66 posts
Where is a copy of KX 1955 tt please?

Paul

Re: Kings Cross 1955 Steam Timetable 28/03/2012 at 19:29 #31001
thickmike
37 posts
Hi Steve, just started this one off - what a great job you have done. I have some general comments but please accept these as trying to be helpful as I wouldn't dare criticise this magnum opus.
Suburban steam was dominated by N2's plus a few L1/L3's. As I am sure you know there was no connection to Moorgate via Drayton PArk in those days (not for service trains anyway). Moorgate was served via the widened lines (Farringdon) by condensing fitted N2's - the LMS 2-6-2's served Moorgate widened lines from the St. Pancras route. I think it's been mentioned elsewhere that B1/B2/B17 dominated the semi-fasts. Fast freight was V2, B1 and the occasional pacific - particularly the through Niddrie-KX trains and the fish trains. Slow freight could be austerities, Ox's or a rich mixture of anything New England could lay its hands on. J50's and J52's provided station pilots plus the inevitable N2's. J3x's for local trip work and lighter freights. I never saw an N7 at the London end - I guess those shedded at WGC and Hatfield were used on the branches? The use of push and pull working makes great sense with the modern layout so I guess there you have a free hand - I seem to remember that C12's were p/p fitted but not in the London area but on this one it's your call.
I'm at 85% at the moment but it's only 03:00 and I can see that this could get very busy. Shame the widened lines are gone off the simulation but then the layout would not have handled the additional traffic anyway!
Thanks very much for a really good job!
Mike

Re: Kings Cross 1955 Steam Timetable 06/02/2013 at 10:30 #41224
gricehead
44 posts
What a great timetable! Got myself into some nasty spots, but I'm really chuffed(!) with my 78%.

Couple of pointers for people to take note of / edit into the timetable before starting:

1. 5A28 (enters Welwyn Car Sidings 19:45) has no initial power set. This needs editing before starting.
2. 4K19-1 is too long for the booked move into Hertford North P2 and reverse into Hertford North Up Sidings.

I found it best to turn off delay notifications < 5 minutes as there are a number of LE departures from the blocks at Kings Cross which are timed to depart before the train in front of them.

It's also fun to turn off all automatic signals and operate in "blocks"

Kings Cross 1955 Steam Timetable 30/05/2014 at 18:42 #61147
GeorgeUK
29 posts
Sorry to bump, but I can't get 0H06-1 to join 5H06 at Drayton Park.
Kings Cross 1955 Steam Timetable 30/05/2014 at 19:17 #61149
BarryM
2158 posts
" said:
Sorry to bump, but I can't get 0H06-1 to join 5H06 at Drayton Park.

To get it to join, the timetable for 5H06's location at Drayton Park must have the Stopping position :"Far end exact".
Check that 5H07 is the same.

Barry

Re: Kings Cross 1955 Steam Timetable 06/04/2016 at 02:27 #81654
asl
8 posts
If you look up Wikpedia history of the Moorgate - Drayton Park - Finsbury Park line (Northern City Line) it was always electric, and was Metropolitan Railway owned then obviously part of London Underground until the 70s / 80s when the link was built to British Rail at Finsbury Park. However there used to be service to Moorgate via the City Widened Lines, which is now part of the Thameslink route. I suppose they'd be standing in for these, however I don't think the need to limit the type of steam loco operating this service should be done, as the City Widened Lines are quite different to the Northern City Line.
Last edited: 06/04/2016 at 02:52 by asl
Re: Kings Cross 1955 Steam Timetable 02/05/2016 at 20:33 #82110
thickmike
37 posts
Hi - cheekily replying on behalf of Steve who did all the hard work on this brilliant timetable; the widened lines ran from York Road station/platform up and into platform 16 down - neither of which exist on the simulation which represents KX after the remodelling. So Steve used the Northern City Line to represent the widened lines - which in my humble opinion was an excellent compromise in that we retained the trains in the timetable and got them to Moorgate but via a different route. What we lost was the freights to the GN depot at Farringdon and via the Snow Hill route - but that's a small price to pay.

Hope this helps. Best wishes,

Mike

Kings Cross 1955 Steam Timetable 28/04/2021 at 16:19 #139170
stighetl
97 posts
Is the 1955 steam timetable still functional?

When starting a new game I couldn't find it in the scenario list, so I had to start the game without any scenarios and merge it.
All trains are either diesel or AC, no steam engines.

- Stig
Kings Cross 1955 Steam Timetable 28/04/2021 at 16:44 #139171
Dionysusnu
575 posts
Yes, the timetable is still functional. Because it is in the old timetable format, it will not show in the loader, and you indeed have to merge it after starting the simulation paused.
Trains that are listed as AC are to prevent them going into the Moorgate tunnels, as those trains do not have condensing tanks. As for the diesel trains I don't know why they aren't listed as Steam. My guess is that maybe there was no steam traction type yet when the timetable was made.

TL;DR yes, timetable is still good, just in old format.

Last edited: 28/04/2021 at 16:45 by Dionysusnu
Reason: None given

Kings Cross 1955 Steam Timetable 28/04/2021 at 16:47 #139172
jc92
3629 posts
stighetl in post 139170 said:
Is the 1955 steam timetable still functional?

When starting a new game I couldn't find it in the scenario list, so I had to start the game without any scenarios and merge it.
All trains are either diesel or AC, no steam engines.
Steam isn't available as a traction type at all (functionally diesel does the same). Theres a classification type of steam for the purposes of speed limits, but otherwise it has no difference on the train.

"We don't stop camborne wednesdays"
Kings Cross 1955 Steam Timetable 28/04/2021 at 19:08 #139176
Albert
1313 posts
I have seen steam displayed as a traction type in the F2 train list for heritage trains in modern timetables, are you sure it isn't available?
AJP in games
Kings Cross 1955 Steam Timetable 28/04/2021 at 19:13 #139177
Steamer
3920 posts
Albert in post 139176 said:
I have seen steam displayed as a traction type in the F2 train list for heritage trains in modern timetables, are you sure it isn't available?
Selecting the 'Steam' speed class overrides the display of the 'Diesel' power type.

"Don't stress/ relax/ let life roll off your backs./ Except for death and paying taxes/ everything in life.../ is only for now." (Avenue Q)