User names

You are here: Home > Forum > General > Temporary postings > User names

Page 1 of 1

User names 11/01/2018 at 23:42 #104987
postal
Avatar
3098 posts
When new users register they are given fields for User Name, e-mail and Password. There have been a number of recent User Names which also appear to be the user's e-mail address.

Would it make sense to have a warning that using your e-mail address as your User Name puts the address into full public view so anyone wishing to preserve any sort of confidentiality should not use their e-mail address as their User Name? This could perhaps be generated if the User Name and e-mail fields are identical when registration is attempted with the option of continuing to register or editing the User Name field.

"Common sense is the most widely shared commodity in the world, for every man is convinced that he is well supplied with it." - René Descartes, March 31, 1596 - February 11, 1650, French Philosopher.
Last edited: 12/01/2018 at 00:34 by postal
Reason: None given

Log in to reply
The following users said thank you: Steamer, Ar88
User names 12/01/2018 at 00:51 #104988
BarryM
Avatar
1877 posts
Online
An adjourn, I noticed a user in Australia has been able to use "Simsig" as their user name!

Geoff, is that you?

Barry

Barry, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Log in to reply
User names 12/01/2018 at 01:39 #104990
GeoffM
Avatar
3701 posts
Online
I noticed another email address as username today - yes, I need to block such.

Barry, thanks, that and a couple of others (years ago since last visit, no posts, and no licenses) deleted.

SimSig Boss. Website issues: Check here first: https://www.simsig.co.uk/Wiki/Show?page=newwebsite
Log in to reply
The following user said thank you: postal
User names 12/01/2018 at 08:23 #104992
Peter Bennet
Avatar
4276 posts
If I filter usernames by @ there are over a page of names.

Peter

Stereotypes only have themselves to blame
Log in to reply
User names 12/01/2018 at 17:36 #105005
Hap
Avatar
74 posts
Any way of changing Usernames? CGilmour to Hap?
HAP
Log in to reply
User names 12/01/2018 at 18:20 #105008
Peter Bennet
Avatar
4276 posts
CGilmour in post 105005 said:
Any way of changing Usernames? CGilmour to Hap?
I think admin can in theory but I get an error message when I tried to change my test one.
Probably not something we'd want to encourage anyway as it takes time especially if licenses are involved too.

Peter

Stereotypes only have themselves to blame
Log in to reply
The following user said thank you: Hap
User names 12/01/2018 at 18:27 #105009
headshot119
Avatar
2495 posts
I must agree with Peter, once you've got an established username you need to stick with it.
"Platform 1 your Maesteg service. Platform 1A your Aberdare. Platform 2 your London!"
Log in to reply
The following user said thank you: Hap
User names 12/01/2018 at 18:28 #105010
Hap
Avatar
74 posts
No worries guys. It's no biggy, just curious if possible and hassle free. Thanks for getting back.
HAP
Log in to reply
User names 12/01/2018 at 21:31 #105015
Ar88
Avatar
169 posts
You can do what I did:

Pay £500 into headshot & Meld's bank accounts - this grants name change.

The Welsh contingent. Aron, or Ar to mates. Also known as 88E or ThatManCalledAr.
Log in to reply
User names 12/01/2018 at 22:13 #105016
GeoffM
Avatar
3701 posts
Online
Ar88 in post 105015 said:
You can do what I did:

Pay £500 into headshot & Meld's bank accounts - this grants name change.
<Adds code to prevent name changes unless I'm included>

SimSig Boss. Website issues: Check here first: https://www.simsig.co.uk/Wiki/Show?page=newwebsite
Log in to reply
User names 12/01/2018 at 22:13 #105017
pedroathome
Avatar
317 posts
Online
GeoffM in post 105016 said:
Ar88 in post 105015 said:
You can do what I did:

Pay £500 into headshot & Meld's bank accounts - this grants name change.
<Adds code to prevent name changes unless I'm included>
Has this increased the fee now to £1000?

Log in to reply
User names 12/01/2018 at 22:16 #105018
GeoffM
Avatar
3701 posts
Online
pedroathome in post 105017 said:
GeoffM in post 105016 said:
Ar88 in post 105015 said:
You can do what I did:

Pay £500 into headshot & Meld's bank accounts - this grants name change.
<Adds code to prevent name changes unless I'm included>
Has this increased the fee now to £1000?
Plus interest, convenience fees, resort fee, and taxes.

SimSig Boss. Website issues: Check here first: https://www.simsig.co.uk/Wiki/Show?page=newwebsite
Log in to reply
The following users said thank you: headshot119, JamesN, Hap, Meld, Ar88
User names 13/01/2018 at 08:59 #105021
clive
Avatar
1598 posts
GeoffM in post 105018 said:
pedroathome in post 105017 said:
GeoffM in post 105016 said:
Ar88 in post 105015 said:
You can do what I did:

Pay £500 into headshot & Meld's bank accounts - this grants name change.
<Adds code to prevent name changes unless I'm included>
Has this increased the fee now to £1000?
Plus interest, convenience fees, resort fee, and taxes.
What about my cut?

Log in to reply
User names 13/01/2018 at 09:45 #105022
postal
Avatar
3098 posts
clive in post 105021 said:
GeoffM in post 105018 said:
pedroathome in post 105017 said:
GeoffM in post 105016 said:
Ar88 in post 105015 said:
You can do what I did:

Pay £500 into headshot & Meld's bank accounts - this grants name change.
<Adds code to prevent name changes unless I'm included>
Has this increased the fee now to £1000?
Plus interest, convenience fees, resort fee, and taxes.
What about my cut?
Who says McMafia is not true to life?

"Common sense is the most widely shared commodity in the world, for every man is convinced that he is well supplied with it." - René Descartes, March 31, 1596 - February 11, 1650, French Philosopher.
Log in to reply
User names 13/01/2018 at 11:59 #105023
Ar88
Avatar
169 posts
postal in post 105022 said:
clive in post 105021 said:
GeoffM in post 105018 said:
pedroathome in post 105017 said:
GeoffM in post 105016 said:
Ar88 in post 105015 said:
You can do what I did:

Pay £500 into headshot & Meld's bank accounts - this grants name change.
<Adds code to prevent name changes unless I'm included>
Has this increased the fee now to £1000?
Plus interest, convenience fees, resort fee, and taxes.
What about my cut?
Who says McMafia is not true to life?
I feel sorry for any newcomers - I've already done it, so no hidden fees for me.

The Welsh contingent. Aron, or Ar to mates. Also known as 88E or ThatManCalledAr.
Log in to reply
User names 13/01/2018 at 20:15 #105048
GeoffM
Avatar
3701 posts
Online
Ar88 in post 105023 said:
postal in post 105022 said:
clive in post 105021 said:
GeoffM in post 105018 said:
pedroathome in post 105017 said:
GeoffM in post 105016 said:
Ar88 in post 105015 said:
You can do what I did:

Pay £500 into headshot & Meld's bank accounts - this grants name change.
<Adds code to prevent name changes unless I'm included>
Has this increased the fee now to £1000?
Plus interest, convenience fees, resort fee, and taxes.
What about my cut?
Who says McMafia is not true to life?
I feel sorry for any newcomers - I've already done it, so no hidden fees for me. :)
Like the US health insurance scam, sorry scheme, you can be billed up to a year after the procedure - even when you thought everything was done and dusted.


SimSig Boss. Website issues: Check here first: https://www.simsig.co.uk/Wiki/Show?page=newwebsite
Log in to reply
User names 13/01/2018 at 20:32 #105050
Ar88
Avatar
169 posts
GeoffM in post 105048 said:
Ar88 in post 105023 said:
postal in post 105022 said:
clive in post 105021 said:
GeoffM in post 105018 said:
pedroathome in post 105017 said:
GeoffM in post 105016 said:
Ar88 in post 105015 said:
You can do what I did:

Pay £500 into headshot & Meld's bank accounts - this grants name change.
<Adds code to prevent name changes unless I'm included>
Has this increased the fee now to £1000?
Plus interest, convenience fees, resort fee, and taxes.
What about my cut?
Who says McMafia is not true to life?
I feel sorry for any newcomers - I've already done it, so no hidden fees for me. :)
Like the US health insurance scam, sorry scheme, you can be billed up to a year after the procedure - even when you thought everything was done and dusted.

:)
I'm sorry, I now live on a random island where money is no concern or living requirement.

The Welsh contingent. Aron, or Ar to mates. Also known as 88E or ThatManCalledAr.
Log in to reply