Upcoming Events

08/09/2018 11:30:00

Loader V4.6.12

You are here: Home > Forum > General > Temporary postings > Loader V4.6.12

Page 1 of 1

Loader V4.6.12 10/03/2018 at 05:37 #106572
BarryM
1983 posts
Loader V4.6.12 has appeared on the horizon!

Hopefully GeofM will give us an update.

Barry, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Last edited: 10/03/2018 at 05:42 by BarryM
Reason: add

Loader V4.6.12 10/03/2018 at 06:00 #106574
GeoffM
3898 posts
It's available via Check for Updates in the Loader.
SimSig Boss. Website issues: Check here first: https://www.simsig.co.uk/Wiki/Show?page=newwebsite
The following user said thank you: BarryM
Loader V4.6.12 10/03/2018 at 06:08 #106575
BarryM
1983 posts
As a result of the above, an error has occurred "Bad type of CurrentTrain evaluating SMC413 PDA" whilst running a preLoader Motherwell save.

Barry

Loader V4.6.12 10/03/2018 at 07:24 #106577
Meld
410 posts
Barry remember that previous saves may not work correctly on any updated loader
The following user said thank you: BarryM
Loader V4.6.12 10/03/2018 at 08:44 #106579
BarryM
1983 posts
Now no problems using this latest Loader.
Last edited: 10/03/2018 at 11:27 by BarryM
Reason: .

Loader V4.6.12 10/03/2018 at 13:29 #106596
Hap
154 posts
Hi chaps. Anything in this loader update or just a version number change?
HAP
Loader V4.6.12 10/03/2018 at 14:41 #106598
Steamer
2713 posts
Hap in post 106596 said:
The version history is available here. It now appears to be possible to globally adjust which headcodes are interpreted as passenger and freight, the rest is big fixes and behind the scenes stuff for the forthcoming Australian simulations.

Geoff or Clive- please could you explain how the COS page works?

Let the challenge... Begin!
The following user said thank you: Hap
Loader V4.6.12 10/03/2018 at 18:40 #106616
Hap
154 posts
Cheers mate, that's the link I was looking for. (Y)
HAP
Loader V4.6.12 10/03/2018 at 18:40 #106617
GeoffM
3898 posts
Steamer in post 106598 said:
Hap in post 106596 said:
The version history is available here. It now appears to be possible to globally adjust which headcodes are interpreted as passenger and freight, the rest is big fixes and behind the scenes stuff for the forthcoming Australian simulations.

Here, though I'd appreciate Clive checking it (he wrote the code).

SimSig Boss. Website issues: Check here first: https://www.simsig.co.uk/Wiki/Show?page=newwebsite
The following user said thank you: Steamer
Loader V4.6.12 10/03/2018 at 23:22 #106631
clive
1688 posts
GeoffM in post 106617 said:

I've checked through it and added a bit more material about defaults (i.e. if you don't use the COS tab or if a train doesn't match any rule), so if you've already looked at it you probably want to look again.

The following users said thank you: Steamer, 58050
Loader V4.6.12 11/03/2018 at 11:44 #106643
postal
3298 posts
clive in post 106631 said:

I've checked through it and added a bit more material about defaults (i.e. if you don't use the COS tab or if a train doesn't match any rule), so if you've already looked at it you probably want to look again.
For those of us struggling with understanding the Wiki page, could someone please do a Janet and John for us about what COS is, why it is there, what effect it will have on pre-existing or new TTs and what benefits it brings to the table. The Wiki page as written seems to pre-suppose that readers already have their heads round the whole concept and need some notes about the detailed application of it.

"It is a most mortifying reflection for a man to consider what he has done, compared to what he might have done." - Samuel Johnson, English author, 18/09/1709 - 13/12/1784
The following users said thank you: VInce, KymriskaDraken
Loader V4.6.12 11/03/2018 at 12:08 #106644
VInce
314 posts
postal in post 106643 said:
clive in post 106631 said:

For those of us struggling with understanding the Wiki page, could someone please do a Janet and John for us about what COS is, why it is there, what effect it will have on pre-existing or new TTs and what benefits it brings to the table. The Wiki page as written seems to pre-suppose that readers already have their heads round the whole concept and need some notes about the detailed application of it.
Glad its not just me struggling with this concept.

I have a feeling this will be very good for vintage timetables, if only I could get my head around it.

Loader V4.6.12 11/03/2018 at 17:59 #106657
Jan
569 posts
I moved some content from the train types wiki page to the new COS page, which might clear some things up?
Two million people attempt to use Birmingham's magnificent rail network every year, with just over a million of them managing to get further than Smethwick.
Loader V4.6.12 11/03/2018 at 18:37 #106659
postal
3298 posts
Jan in post 106657 said:
I moved some content from the train types wiki page to the new COS page, which might clear some things up?
Jan, thanks for that. However, my limited intellect is still struggling with why COS is there and what benefits it brings as compared with the pre-COS regime where we all bumbled along with defined train types, each with their own characteristics and with each train in a well-ordered TT being given its defined train type.

"It is a most mortifying reflection for a man to consider what he has done, compared to what he might have done." - Samuel Johnson, English author, 18/09/1709 - 13/12/1784
The following users said thank you: VInce, KymriskaDraken
Loader V4.6.12 11/03/2018 at 19:34 #106662
Jan
569 posts
Well, the default rules mostly assume standard UK main line headcodes and operating practices and they were hard-coded into the loader. So if a sim covers a system with train descriptions differing from those assumptions, you're going run into problems, although Simsig has at least allowed overriding the COS for each train individually since some time now.

E.g. in Wembley Suburban, the default rules mean that all LU trains would be classified as "Passenger" trains (their headcode starts with a letter, so "Other" in the second default rules table, and their speed class is EMU + Tripcock, so "Passenger A", which results in a COS of "Passenger").
The new COS rules facility now means that you can add custom rules saying that any headcodes starting with O, P, S, T or W are in fact ECS trains without having to manually override the COS in each separate timetable.

Edit: As for the relation to the train type system - train types mostly cover the physical characteristics of a certain type of stock (or combined formation, i.e. multiple units coupled together, respectively combinations of loco + coaches/wagons), like length, maximum speed, acceleration, power, etc [1]. The same type of stock may however operate more than one type of service - e.g. passenger trains will typically operate both as "Passenger" and as "ECS" and maybe even as the occasional "Excursion". COS models the fact that differing operational rules apply to those differing kinds of service and allows you to set this independently of the train type. Otherwise, you'd have to keep a lot of duplicate train types around for every required combination of physical rolling stock and COS used.

[1] The exception is that train types have offered the "Can use freight lines" option as well.

Two million people attempt to use Birmingham's magnificent rail network every year, with just over a million of them managing to get further than Smethwick.
Last edited: 11/03/2018 at 19:50 by Jan
Reason: None given

Loader V4.6.12 11/03/2018 at 19:53 #106663
clive
1688 posts
postal in post 106643 said:

Okay, I'll try.

If you're writing a timetable for a reasonably modern era, where headcodes all look like 1A23 and the first digit tells you what class the train is, this feature probably doesn't do anything for you.

But if you're trying to work from a timetable written 80 years ago, or you're trying to deal with LU train numbers rather than BR-designed headcodes, or you're writing a timetable for an Australian sim where their headcodes look nothing like hours, then this is the feature for you.

The COS feature allows you to decide which headcode patterns represent passenger trains. If you want ECS trains to all have headcodes of the form E1A23, then at present you have make each such train be explicitly an ECS. But the COS feature allows you to say that all headcodes beginning E are ECS. Or it could make all headcodes that have "SW" as the second and third characters (e.g. "4SW22" and "0SW916"be goods trains. Or other such things.

You can still set the class of service for a train explicitly. But you don't have to do it for loads and loads of trains whose headcodes match a pattern, just not the right pattern.

The following users said thank you: postal, Steamer, BarryM, 58050
Loader V4.6.12 11/03/2018 at 19:57 #106664
postal
3298 posts
Just to make sure I'm understanding things correctly, for those involved with heritage TTs covering ex-BR operations, then the COS additions do not need to be used and have no impact at all. What is already coded into the software covers the scenarios those TTs will involve. For those involved with later TTs or with TTs involving more than the basic BR operations then the COS additions may allow for some simplification of TTs. That sort of scenario could involve what we might loosely call non-BR trains (e.g. LUL, Tyne & Wear Metro), out-of-the-ordinary TDs (such as Class 9 for Virgin WC and XC passenger trains) or non-UK simulations. That is not intended to be an exhaustive list rather to give a flavour of where the COS additions will be a useful upgrade.

Edit: still typing while Clive was posting. Hopefully his posting confirms what I have just written.

Last edited: 11/03/2018 at 19:59 by postal
Reason: None given