Upcoming Games


Full list
Add a game

Birmingham Meet, 23rd. March 2019 - Simulation Speculation

You are here: Home > Forum > General > Meeting up > Birmingham Meet, 23rd. March 2019 - Simulation Speculation

Page 2 of 2

Birmingham Meet, 23rd. March 2019 - Simulation Speculation 01/01/2019 at 12:10 #114514
Meld
Avatar
473 posts
TimTamToe in post 114512 said:
Meld in post 114463 said:
.

BTW the TT department is still in the dark as much as you lot are
Until March the 22nd when you get asked for 5 tt's for the next day....
If I'm lucky I get 2 days notice

Log in to reply
Birmingham Meet, 23rd. March 2019 - Simulation Speculation 01/01/2019 at 12:11 #114515
pedroathome
Avatar
454 posts
Online
Meld in post 114514 said:
TimTamToe in post 114512 said:
Meld in post 114463 said:
.

BTW the TT department is still in the dark as much as you lot are
Until March the 22nd when you get asked for 5 tt's for the next day....
If I'm lucky I get 2 days notice ;)
Oi, Next time I give you a sim to timetable, You'll be lucky to get 5 mins notice

Log in to reply
Birmingham Meet, 23rd. March 2019 - Simulation Speculation 01/01/2019 at 12:12 #114516
Meld
Avatar
473 posts
pedroathome in post 114515 said:
Meld in post 114514 said:
TimTamToe in post 114512 said:
Meld in post 114463 said:
.

BTW the TT department is still in the dark as much as you lot are
Until March the 22nd when you get asked for 5 tt's for the next day....
If I'm lucky I get 2 days notice ;)
Oi, Next time I give you a sim to timetable, You'll be lucky to get 5 mins notice
Yeah but then you need 3 hours to fix all the issues that arise from the first import

Log in to reply
Birmingham Meet, 23rd. March 2019 - Simulation Speculation 01/01/2019 at 13:26 #114517
axmh
Avatar
25 posts
headshot119 in post 114391 said:
The development team are pleased to announce that at least one brand new simulation will be previewed at the March 2019 meet. We reckon you will love this simulation.

This thread is purely for speculation over what the simulation may be.
Oh well !! Let's hope it is a rebuild of Southampton with lines up to Dorchester, Weymouth, Romsey, Basingstoke, Eastliegh and as far as up to Cosham junction area.

Or even better... Salisbury to Honiton !!!

Nah !!! ... probably London to China freight !!!

Log in to reply
Birmingham Meet, 23rd. March 2019 - Simulation Speculation 01/01/2019 at 14:17 #114520
postal
Avatar
3623 posts
TimTamToe in post 114511 said:
The rumour I'd heard was a special sim for Mr Gallon, the heritage Royal Mail underground line in London ;)

Gareth
Never had a ride on it (not even now it is a tourist attraction) but I've been on the platforms at London WDO (Rathbone Place) and Mount Pleasant.

After the system was mothballed there was a video on line produced by a team of subterranean explorers who unofficially accessed various underground passages and caverns below London. The video documents how they climbed up to the roof of Paddington sorting office on a Sunday, down through the building to the basement while dodging the weekend security staff then walked the whole system to Whitechapel. Unfortunately the video now seems to have been hidden ( I hesitate to say "gone underground"). The system was kept on a care and maintenance basis and the old station platforms were still lit and accessible from the parent office if that office still existed when I left the business in 2007.

"The truth about your own life is not always easy to accept, and sometimes hasn't even occurred to you." - Anna Quindlen (Born 08/07/1952) American Journalist
Log in to reply
Birmingham Meet, 23rd. March 2019 - Simulation Speculation 01/01/2019 at 14:50 #114522
Edgemaster
Avatar
80 posts
I was lucky enough to visit and have a walk through of some of the tunnels at Mount Pleasant on a Postal Museum guided tour whilst they were preparing to transfer it to the museum. I've got some photos of the tour somewhere, I should put them online...
Log in to reply
Birmingham Meet, 23rd. March 2019 - Simulation Speculation 02/01/2019 at 18:18 #114540
hotwellian
Avatar
130 posts
I would love a sim of the post office railway, which I worked on in the early 1970s
Log in to reply
Birmingham Meet, 23rd. March 2019 - Simulation Speculation 19/01/2019 at 08:56 #114870
jem771
Avatar
81 posts
Crewe or Reading new layout would be fantastic.
Big junctions and chaining oportunities too...
Fingers Crossed

Log in to reply
The following user said thank you: BenWright
Birmingham Meet, 23rd. March 2019 - Simulation Speculation 19/01/2019 at 15:37 #114889
DaveHarries
Avatar
884 posts
axmh in post 114517 said:
[quote=headshot119;post=114391]Or even better... Salisbury to Honiton !!!

There was once a piece of software distributed for doing mockups of SimSig layouts. I can't get it to work nowadays so I can't correct this effort but I used the photos of Basingstoke ASC (Salisbury to Exeter) - https://photos.signalling.org/index?/category/31-west_of_england_panel - to produce the attached.

I did also try and do a Poole to Wool mockup and still have that also.

Dave


Post has attachments. Log in to view them.
Log in to reply
Birmingham Meet, 23rd. March 2019 - Simulation Speculation 19/01/2019 at 16:02 #114891
ajax103
Avatar
588 posts
Online
DaveHarries in post 114889 said:
axmh in post 114517 said:
[quote=headshot119;post=114391]Or even better... Salisbury to Honiton !!!

There was once a piece of software distributed for doing mockups of SimSig layouts. I can't get it to work nowadays so I can't correct this effort but I used the photos of Basingstoke ASC (Salisbury to Exeter) - https://photos.signalling.org/index?/category/31-west_of_england_panel - to produce the attached.

I did also try and do a Poole to Wool mockup and still have that also.

Dave

What software was it called?

Log in to reply
Birmingham Meet, 23rd. March 2019 - Simulation Speculation 19/01/2019 at 16:38 #114893
DaveHarries
Avatar
884 posts
ajax103 in post 114891 said:
DaveHarries in post 114889 said:
axmh in post 114517 said:
[quote=headshot119;post=114391]Or even better... Salisbury to Honiton !!!

There was once a piece of software distributed for doing mockups of SimSig layouts. I can't get it to work nowadays so I can't correct this effort but I used the photos of Basingstoke ASC (Salisbury to Exeter) - https://photos.signalling.org/index?/category/31-west_of_england_panel - to produce the attached.

I did also try and do a Poole to Wool mockup and still have that also.

Dave

What software was it called?
S-box Track and Signals Editor. It was a good interface. The files for it were never uploaded onto this site but it was great fun to use.

What I did was to draw the layout on S-box, then do the colours on MS Paint by screen grabbing part of a SimSig layout and extracting the colours from the screen grab.

Dave

Last edited: 19/01/2019 at 16:39 by DaveHarries
Reason: None given

Log in to reply
Birmingham Meet, 23rd. March 2019 - Simulation Speculation 19/01/2019 at 18:35 #114902
ajax103
Avatar
588 posts
Online
DaveHarries in post 114893 said:
ajax103 in post 114891 said:
DaveHarries in post 114889 said:
axmh in post 114517 said:
[quote=headshot119;post=114391]Or even better... Salisbury to Honiton !!!

There was once a piece of software distributed for doing mockups of SimSig layouts. I can't get it to work nowadays so I can't correct this effort but I used the photos of Basingstoke ASC (Salisbury to Exeter) - https://photos.signalling.org/index?/category/31-west_of_england_panel - to produce the attached.

I did also try and do a Poole to Wool mockup and still have that also.

Dave

What software was it called?
S-box Track and Signals Editor. It was a good interface. The files for it were never uploaded onto this site but it was great fun to use.

What I did was to draw the layout on S-box, then do the colours on MS Paint by screen grabbing part of a SimSig layout and extracting the colours from the screen grab.

Dave
Sounds complicated!

Log in to reply
Birmingham Meet, 23rd. March 2019 - Simulation Speculation 02/02/2019 at 13:51 #115268
DaveHarries
Avatar
884 posts
Another sim possibility I might hazard a guess at, albeit probably wrongly, for the Birmingham meet (even though I will be in Devon that weekend) would be Cambridge as a loader sim to chain with West Anglia. There would be an updated layout of the Cambridge area to incorporate Cambridge North and perhaps also the Breckland line (ie. the route through Attleborough, Shippea Hill, etc.) as I believe it is called and which is, I believe, now controlled from Cambridge.

More likely to be either Crewe or Doncaster PSB than an updated Cambridge though I suspect.

Dave

Last edited: 02/02/2019 at 13:53 by DaveHarries
Reason: None given

Log in to reply
Birmingham Meet, 23rd. March 2019 - Simulation Speculation 02/02/2019 at 14:15 #115269
bugsy
Avatar
371 posts
DaveHarries in post 115268 said:
Another sim possibility I might hazard a guess at, albeit probably wrongly, for the Birmingham meet (even though I will be in Devon that weekend) would be Cambridge as a loader sim to chain with West Anglia. There would be an updated layout of the Cambridge area to incorporate Cambridge North and perhaps also the Breckland line (ie. the route through Attleborough, Shippea Hill, etc.) as I believe it is called and which is, I believe, now controlled from Cambridge.

More likely to be either Crewe or Doncaster PSB than an updated Cambridge though I suspect.

Dave
Any of the above sims would be excellent, although my most eagerly awaited sim is a Doncaster one. It would be awesome, with loads of passenger and freight trains to deal with.

And just think of the chaining possabilities King's Cross, Peterbprough, York and Tyneside! (Newcastle)

My goodness, that was difficult, but I managed it.
Last edited: 02/02/2019 at 14:19 by bugsy
Reason: Added text

Log in to reply
Birmingham Meet, 23rd. March 2019 - Simulation Speculation 02/02/2019 at 18:43 #115276
clive
Avatar
1813 posts
DaveHarries in post 115268 said:
Another sim possibility I might hazard a guess at, albeit probably wrongly, for the Birmingham meet (even though I will be in Devon that weekend) would be Cambridge as a loader sim to chain with West Anglia.
Cambridge Loader is still way down my job queue. Sorry.

Log in to reply
Birmingham Meet, 23rd. March 2019 - Simulation Speculation 03/02/2019 at 10:27 #115287
ajax103
Avatar
588 posts
Online
As case is with a loader version of Cambridge but apart from the new layout at Cambridge itself and Cambridge North, I hope it's possible to see more of the Breckland line as signalling is now done from Cambridge although I'm not sure how far to Norwich that Cambridge actually controls?

There is another sim which could be possible and that's a updated Bristol which would take into account the possibilities of chaining to Newport plus the resignalling of Bristol Temple Meads as I understand it, the existing Bristol sim can't chain to Newport?

Doncaster would be nice but equally so would a sim to cover Tyneside to Edinburgh, another sim that could be shown is Croydon chaining with Victoria.

All that said, one wonders if it's a area not even discussed here ie Hastings as East Coastway has the possibility to chain to a future Hastings sim although it's referred to as 1066.

Log in to reply
Birmingham Meet, 23rd. March 2019 - Simulation Speculation 03/02/2019 at 18:20 #115300
Trainfan344
Avatar
167 posts
ajax103 in post 115287 said:
As case is with a loader version of Cambridge but apart from the new layout at Cambridge itself and Cambridge North, I hope it's possible to see more of the Breckland line as signalling is now done from Cambridge although I'm not sure how far to Norwich that Cambridge actually controls?
I think Norwich only control the junction onto the line with the rest of the line signalled from Cambridge.

Cambridge is one of my favourite sims to play with so much going on!

Log in to reply