A and B platforms

You are here: Home > Forum > Simulations > Released > Derby > A and B platforms

Page 1 of 1

A and B platforms 29/08/2019 at 14:02 #120254
Underwood
Avatar
687 posts
Just noticed something in timetable testing which I think I noticed before on the 2015 TT available for the sim.

Train A terminates Platform 2B from Ambergate, sits there for an hour then goes to Nottingham. Train A has 2B set to timetable

Train B terminates in Platform 2A from Crewe then goes to Nottingham.

Train A rolls in to Derby, sails past 2B and stops at 2A. Not knowing where its stopped I divert Train B to the only platform available, P5, as it's a 2 car unit.

Now I'm sure I noticed this when playing the 2015 TT on what I think was the same setup as above example but I cant remember if it was just '2' used or if '2A' and '2B' were used but I know Train A sailed through 2B, so I put Train B in from the Crewe end hoping there was room, but it appeared that Train A was right up to the starting signal of 2A as Train B was stuck over the points.

I've noted down to make Train A stop at the Near End, but I don't know about the programming but I assume the platforms aren't divided in the code so a train will just stop at either end of the platform by default?

Though I'm sure one of the Cardiff - Nottinghams reversed at Platform 1A without going through to 1B? But one Birmingham to Newcastle booked for Platform 1A I know went through to the other end at 1B.

Log in to reply
A and B platforms 29/08/2019 at 16:01 #120255
GeoffM
Avatar
4526 posts
Just use near-end stops. In many places (in real life) there is no physical demarcation - you could have a long train in A and a short in B, or the other way around, making such demarcations nigh on impossible.

The dev can also make entire locations, or individual platforms near-end as well. This is often used for reversing at shunt signals.

SimSig Boss
Log in to reply
The following user said thank you: Underwood
A and B platforms 29/08/2019 at 17:51 #120256
jc92
Avatar
2634 posts
Online
I had the same issue with derby 1992. As Geoff says near and far end are the quick fix.
Log in to reply
A and B platforms 29/08/2019 at 18:12 #120257
postal
Avatar
3829 posts
Online
jc92 in post 120256 said:
I had the same issue with derby 1992. As Geoff says near and far end are the quick fix.
And if you are really pernickety you can set a distance into the stopping position so that the train stops towards the middle of the platform rather than pulling right up to the far end or stopping with the tail of the train right at the near end. For example if you have a 300m. platform split into two 150m. portions and you want a 46m. unit to pull just past the centre point of the platform you would set a stopping position of say FX@100.

"You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it." - Malcolm X (19/05/1925 – 21/02/1965) American Muslim minister and human rights activist.
Log in to reply
A and B platforms 31/08/2019 at 10:19 #120268
Lyn-Greenwood
Avatar
171 posts
GeoffM in post 120255 said:
Just use near-end stops. In many places (in real life) there is no physical demarcation - you could have a long train in A and a short in B, or the other way around, making such demarcations nigh on impossible.

The dev can also make entire locations, or individual platforms near-end as well. This is often used for reversing at shunt signals.
Do you have to use near-end stop for the A/B sections of P2, P5, P6 & P8 in the Sheffield (York ROC) sim or will it suffice to just specify PnA or PnB regardless of which end the train enters the platform?

Log in to reply
A and B platforms 31/08/2019 at 17:38 #120277
GeoffM
Avatar
4526 posts
Lyn-Greenwood in post 120268 said:
GeoffM in post 120255 said:
Just use near-end stops. In many places (in real life) there is no physical demarcation - you could have a long train in A and a short in B, or the other way around, making such demarcations nigh on impossible.

The dev can also make entire locations, or individual platforms near-end as well. This is often used for reversing at shunt signals.
Do you have to use near-end stop for the A/B sections of P2, P5, P6 & P8 in the Sheffield (York ROC) sim or will it suffice to just specify PnA or PnB regardless of which end the train enters the platform?
You don't have to. But if you need it to stop in a particular place, other than the sim default, then yes, you will need to override with near end, or one of the exacts.

SimSig Boss
Log in to reply
A and B platforms 31/08/2019 at 18:20 #120279
Underwood
Avatar
687 posts
Thank you Geoff, I shall use the Near End stops where needed
Log in to reply
A and B platforms 01/09/2019 at 15:34 #120287
Lyn-Greenwood
Avatar
171 posts
GeoffM in post 120277 said:
Lyn-Greenwood in post 120268 said:
GeoffM in post 120255 said:
Just use near-end stops. In many places (in real life) there is no physical demarcation - you could have a long train in A and a short in B, or the other way around, making such demarcations nigh on impossible.

The dev can also make entire locations, or individual platforms near-end as well. This is often used for reversing at shunt signals.
Do you have to use near-end stop for the A/B sections of P2, P5, P6 & P8 in the Sheffield (York ROC) sim or will it suffice to just specify PnA or PnB regardless of which end the train enters the platform?
You don't have to. But if you need it to stop in a particular place, other than the sim default, then yes, you will need to override with near end, or one of the exacts.
Are you saying that a train which is timetabled for P5B (with the Default stopping location) should stop in P5B and not travel through to P5A if it enters the platform from the North end?

Log in to reply
A and B platforms 01/09/2019 at 19:42 #120289
jc92
Avatar
2634 posts
Online
Lyn-Greenwood in post 120287 said:
GeoffM in post 120277 said:
Lyn-Greenwood in post 120268 said:
GeoffM in post 120255 said:
Just use near-end stops. In many places (in real life) there is no physical demarcation - you could have a long train in A and a short in B, or the other way around, making such demarcations nigh on impossible.

The dev can also make entire locations, or individual platforms near-end as well. This is often used for reversing at shunt signals.
Do you have to use near-end stop for the A/B sections of P2, P5, P6 & P8 in the Sheffield (York ROC) sim or will it suffice to just specify PnA or PnB regardless of which end the train enters the platform?
You don't have to. But if you need it to stop in a particular place, other than the sim default, then yes, you will need to override with near end, or one of the exacts.
Are you saying that a train which is timetabled for P5B (with the Default stopping location) should stop in P5B and not travel through to P5A if it enters the platform from the North end?
It will travel to the end of the platform regardless of timetable. It needs near or far adding to enforce specific behaviour.

Log in to reply
The following user said thank you: Lyn-Greenwood