Upcoming Games

No games to display

Full list
Add a game

Upcoming Events

Yahoo Groups Shutdown & Archival

You are here: Home > Forum > General > Temporary postings > Yahoo Groups Shutdown & Archival

Page 1 of 1

Yahoo Groups Shutdown & Archival 22/10/2019 at 01:52 #121246
Edgemaster
251 posts
In case you may not have heard, Yahoo Groups are shutting down the majority of their functionality in the next few months.

There's potentially a *lot* of useful historical railway information (such as stock allocations and diagrams) that could potentially be lost, and would be useful to archive.
I'm part of a group that are going to be archiving various Yahoo Groups to the Internet Archive.

If you're aware of any such railway related groups that would be useful to have archived, it would be helpful if you could link to the group in this thread so I can personally take an archive of the group myself.

Groups may also be nominated for archival via this form.

The following users said thank you: flabberdacks, GeoffM, axmh
Yahoo Groups Shutdown & Archival 22/10/2019 at 07:50 #121253
axmh
29 posts
In view of these Yahoo groups situation, I've seen comments via emails message that a lot are annoyed and is contemplating moving to groups.io.

Some of them have already moved to groups.io and i am in the midst of moving my buses group from yahoo to io

Wonder if your archival group could go there to io?

Yahoo Groups Shutdown & Archival 22/10/2019 at 09:21 #121256
postal
3897 posts
Invaluable resource for those creating heritage TTs:

British Railways loco-hauled coaching stock since 1948

In process of moving to groups.io so this is hopefully only a belt-and-braces message.

"No question is too stupid, there are just some stupid answers" - Dr. Michael Reece, 12/08/1927 - 03/06/2019. Electrical engineer and inventor
Yahoo Groups Shutdown & Archival 22/10/2019 at 12:35 #121257
Edgemaster
251 posts
axmh in post 121253 said:
In view of these Yahoo groups situation, I've seen comments via emails message that a lot are annoyed and is contemplating moving to groups.io.

Some of them have already moved to groups.io and i am in the midst of moving my buses group from yahoo to io

Wonder if your archival group could go there to io?
It's been noted that a number of groups are moving to groups.io, however groups.io appear to be struggling with the recent influx, and have doubled their prices as of yesterday. It's still worthwhile taking an independent archive in case some groups don't make it over there for whatever reason.

postal in post 121256 said:
Invaluable resource for those creating heritage TTs:

British Railways loco-hauled coaching stock since 1948

In process of moving to groups.io so this is hopefully only a belt-and-braces message.
Yes, this is one such group I came across last night when trying to discover further groups, however they've disabled new members from joining, so I'm not able to get access to take an independent archive.

Last edited: 22/10/2019 at 12:37 by Edgemaster
Reason: None given

Yahoo Groups Shutdown & Archival 22/10/2019 at 14:30 #121259
postal
3897 posts
Edgemaster in post 121257 said:
Yes, this is one such group I came across last night when trying to discover further groups, however they've disabled new members from joining, so I'm not able to get access to take an independent archive.
For the purposes of TT writers, the most crucial information is the archive of Carriage Working Notices. These notices are held on Google Drive so hopefully not affected by the mpove from Yahoo!. The index held on Yahoo! is a pdf file with clickable links to the relevant notices. Obviously not best practice to attach this pdf from a closed group to a public forum; however, I have taken a copy of the pdf which I can copy to you if required. Alternatively, I still have access to the group. Do you need me to do anything to create an archive for you.

"No question is too stupid, there are just some stupid answers" - Dr. Michael Reece, 12/08/1927 - 03/06/2019. Electrical engineer and inventor