Upcoming Games


Full list
Add a game

Working Timetable Library?

You are here: Home > Forum > Miscellaneous > The real thing (anything else rail-oriented) > Working Timetable Library?

Page 1 of 1

Working Timetable Library? 27/05/2020 at 13:27 #127164
Underwood
Avatar
721 posts
Hello all,

My mind has gone blank, I'm sure there was some group I signed up to (paid subscribtion) which had some monthly news booklet, and access to some library of Working Timetables if if still exists? This was some years ago though, you could borrow one which was posted (it was some 1990s WTT) and then you posted it back.

Anyone know what this may have been and if there is still a library? Interested in knowing what era's they have if so.


Any help appreciated

James.

Log in to reply
Working Timetable Library? 27/05/2020 at 13:31 #127165
jc92
Avatar
3025 posts
Can't help you with that but the National archives in Kew and the National archives of Scotland both offer a scanning service to post out a copy of WTT documents that they hold.

the NRM also holds a large collection of WTT's which can be scanned although they don't offer a postal option.

Log in to reply
Working Timetable Library? 27/05/2020 at 14:11 #127166
Underwood
Avatar
721 posts
jc92 in post 127165 said:
Can't help you with that but the National archives in Kew and the National archives of Scotland both offer a scanning service to post out a copy of WTT documents that they hold.

the NRM also holds a large collection of WTT's which can be scanned although they don't offer a postal option.
Oh do they! Been to the NRM before not been in the library though, do you possibly know is it 'classic' collection (1930's - 1970's or something) or a range up to modern? I'm particularly interested in a 2000 - 2003 Section WG if one is in a library somewhere?

Log in to reply
Working Timetable Library? 27/05/2020 at 14:47 #127167
postal
Avatar
4257 posts
Underwood in post 127164 said:
Hello all,

My mind has gone blank, I'm sure there was some group I signed up to (paid subscribtion) which had some monthly news booklet, and access to some library of Working Timetables if if still exists? This was some years ago though, you could borrow one which was posted (it was some 1990s WTT) and then you posted it back.

Anyone know what this may have been and if there is still a library? Interested in knowing what era's they have if so.


Any help appreciated

James.
Are you thinking of the Railway Correspondence and Travel Society (RCTS)? They hold a large library of WTTs going back to the 1950s.

The holder of the keys to the post-1969 section of the collection is Kurt Sickelmore, formerly of this parish.

“In life, there is always someone out there, who won’t like you, for whatever reason, don’t let the insecurities in their lives affect yours.” – Rashida Rowe
Log in to reply
Working Timetable Library? 27/05/2020 at 15:04 #127168
Underwood
Avatar
721 posts
postal in post 127167 said:

Are you thinking of the Railway Correspondence and Travel Society (RCTS)? They hold a large library of WTTs going back to the 1950s.

The holder of the keys to the post-1969 section of the collection is Kurt Sickelmore, formerly of this parish.
Ahhh that's it!!

Thank you John! Looks like there is a collection still, tried looking in the library catalogue but the page doesn't exist, I've sent an E-mail to Kurt to see if he has what I am after before I get a subscription.

Thank you for jogging my memory John

Log in to reply
Working Timetable Library? 27/05/2020 at 15:57 #127171
northroad
Avatar
816 posts
Sorry to say this but I hope Kurt does not issue any timetable to you free of charge. The rules are that you need to be a paid up member of the RCTS before you have access to this facility of borrowing. I would hate to think I was paying for something that you get for free........
Never apologise son, it's a sign of weakness (John Wayne)
Log in to reply
Working Timetable Library? 27/05/2020 at 16:14 #127172
jc92
Avatar
3025 posts
Underwood in post 127166 said:
jc92 in post 127165 said:
Can't help you with that but the National archives in Kew and the National archives of Scotland both offer a scanning service to post out a copy of WTT documents that they hold.

the NRM also holds a large collection of WTT's which can be scanned although they don't offer a postal option.
Oh do they! Been to the NRM before not been in the library though, do you possibly know is it 'classic' collection (1930's - 1970's or something) or a range up to modern? I'm particularly interested in a 2000 - 2003 Section WG if one is in a library somewhere?
They have a bit of everything. The catalogue is on the museums website.

Log in to reply
Working Timetable Library? 27/05/2020 at 16:49 #127173
headshot119
Avatar
3676 posts
Online
northroad in post 127171 said:
Sorry to say this but I hope Kurt does not issue any timetable to you free of charge. The rules are that you need to be a paid up member of the RCTS before you have access to this facility of borrowing. I would hate to think I was paying for something that you get for free........
I don't think Underwood has at any point implied he's after anything for free, he was simply seeing if they had what he was after before purchasing a subscription, I'd liken it to ringing ahead to B&Q to check they've got that kitchen cupboard you need in stock before paying out the diesel fee for the 40 mile round trip.

"CHECK Do you stop at Capenhurst?" - Opinions are my own and not those of my employer
Log in to reply
The following users said thank you: Underwood, Trainfan344, Temple Meads
Working Timetable Library? 27/05/2020 at 17:15 #127174
northroad
Avatar
816 posts
Point taken and a good way of letting people know the rules.
Never apologise son, it's a sign of weakness (John Wayne)
Log in to reply
Working Timetable Library? 27/05/2020 at 17:57 #127175
Underwood
Avatar
721 posts
Northroad - No I wasn't looking for a freebie, as Karl mentioned I was interested to know what was in the collection first, hence I put 'before I get a subscription.' in the post.

I will get a subscription as Kurt has rapidly responded with a list which has what I am after

Log in to reply
Working Timetable Library? 27/05/2020 at 18:00 #127176
northroad
Avatar
816 posts
Good lad
Never apologise son, it's a sign of weakness (John Wayne)
Log in to reply
Working Timetable Library? 08/06/2020 at 17:00 #127420
Muzer
Avatar
715 posts
Is it just WTTs they hold or do they hold things like Carriage Working Notices etc. as well?
Log in to reply
Working Timetable Library? 08/06/2020 at 17:07 #127422
northroad
Avatar
816 posts
Both but not too many CWN’s. You might be lucky. Don’ expect a quick response at the moment either but again you might be lucky
Never apologise son, it's a sign of weakness (John Wayne)
Log in to reply
Working Timetable Library? 08/06/2020 at 17:24 #127423
Muzer
Avatar
715 posts
Cheers! Based on the extensiveness of their WTT collection I've just joined up, I imagine societies like that could do with the money these days, and I'm quite sure I can make use of it! I've popped off an email, let's see if I strike lucky!
Log in to reply
Working Timetable Library? 08/06/2020 at 17:29 #127424
postal
Avatar
4257 posts
Muzer in post 127420 said:
Is it just WTTs they hold or do they hold things like Carriage Working Notices etc. as well?
If you are after historical information groups.io host "BR Loco-hauled Coaching Stock 1948-97" which holds a large archive of CWNs from pre-1948 up to 1997. The documents are listed in a PDF at https://brcoachingstock.groups.io/g/main/files/Carriage%20workings/Carriage_Workings_Google-Drive_BRCS_24-05-20.pdf. You click on the hyperlink in the PDF and are taken to a scanned copy of the notice. You may need to create an account before you can access the PDF.

“In life, there is always someone out there, who won’t like you, for whatever reason, don’t let the insecurities in their lives affect yours.” – Rashida Rowe
Log in to reply
The following users said thank you: northroad, Muzer
Working Timetable Library? 08/06/2020 at 17:32 #127425
northroad
Avatar
816 posts
Fingers crossed. The reason why I said you might have to wait was based on the fact that my paper copy of the society magazine The Railway Observer for May has still not arrived but they do say that the printers that they use has closed down for the moment and not the society’s own problems. You can download a copy from the website once a member but I do have copies from late 1930 to date much to my wife’s annoyance.

Geoff

Never apologise son, it's a sign of weakness (John Wayne)
Log in to reply
Working Timetable Library? 09/06/2020 at 01:55 #127441
whatlep
Avatar
246 posts
Online
Muzer in post 127423 said:
Cheers! Based on the extensiveness of their WTT collection I've just joined up, I imagine societies like that could do with the money these days, and I'm quite sure I can make use of it! I've popped off an email, let's see if I strike lucky!
The RCTS - meaning Kurt Sicklemore - is an excellent source of material for compiling historic SimSig timetables and the collection is growing over time. Your use of the library will increase the regular users by 100%, me being the other one!

Log in to reply