Upcoming Games


Full list
Add a game

Upcoming Events

We are not planning any more in-person events until the COVID-19 situation has improved.

What happened to Euston?

You are here: Home > Forum > Simulations > Released > Euston PSB > What happened to Euston?

Page 1 of 1

What happened to Euston? 04/08/2020 at 08:24 #130353
manadude2
Avatar
172 posts
I remember Euston being a relatively new sim to SimSig, so I can't imagine it's been discontinued?

Having said that, it's not on the loader, neither is it available to download, despite the sim being listed on the wiki as available for download:



(Wait, was it really released in 2011?!)

Would be a shame to lose this sim as well, it was another good one!

Log in to reply
What happened to Euston? 04/08/2020 at 08:32 #130354
pedroathome
Avatar
645 posts
Yes, the sim was released that long ago (And no, I didn't think about it that long ago)

However, as to the question in hand, all EXE simulations were withdrawn with the release of Version 5 of the loader.

As a point of reference, Marlybone was released back in 2013, which was the first Loader simulation, with no EXE simulations being released past this date.

James

Log in to reply
What happened to Euston? 04/08/2020 at 08:40 #130355
manadude2
Avatar
172 posts
Wow, time has flown!

Honestly thought Euston was post-loader.

Log in to reply
What happened to Euston? 04/08/2020 at 08:50 #130356
y10g9
Avatar
646 posts
Euston is however in the process of being updated to a loader sim so it will be ready when its ready
Log in to reply
What happened to Euston? 04/08/2020 at 10:21 #130359
greatkingrat
Avatar
67 posts
Euston is now part of the Wembley Mainline loader sim. It seems unlikely that a stand-alone Euston sim would be rereleased as well as then there would be two sims covering the same area.
Log in to reply
What happened to Euston? 04/08/2020 at 10:35 #130360
clive
Avatar
2133 posts
Yes, Euston is that old. It was the third (I think) sim I wrote. I recall that we did a preview at the York meeting (who remembers that?) where some nasty bugs in the multiplayer logic showed up.

Loader Euston has been in alpha test for some time. There have been delay because of personal problems I've been dealing with, but a snapshot went to testers on Friday night; I'm waiting for feedback. There's also still at least one bug to fix before it can move to beta testing.

So it *will* appear, but I can't promise when. It will be ready when it's ready.

My next project will be to convert Cambridge to Loader. There will *probably* be an intermediate release that just replicates what was in the EXE rather than including all the layout changes that have happened since it was first written (though, of course, having all the stuff the Loader has). Again, no timescales.

[I'm the developer of Cambridge and Euston, so you may take this as authoritative.]

Log in to reply
The following users said thank you: as1981, markt, broodje, manadude2, Mikhail, Phil-jmw, JWNoctis, kpl455, 58050, UKTrainMan, leigh, fotorob, larsht, StepSig
What happened to Euston? 04/08/2020 at 11:46 #130361
manadude2
Avatar
172 posts
Thank you for the updates Clive!

Aware of the old SimSig mantra "ready when it's ready" and as it was (is?) a donationware sim of course it takes a back seat :)

Played Euston for many hours in the past, if you want an extra pair of eyes testing I'd be happy to help.

Log in to reply
What happened to Euston? 04/08/2020 at 11:48 #130362
y10g9
Avatar
646 posts
clive in post 130360 said:
Loader Euston has been in alpha test for some time. There have been delay because of personal problems I've been dealing with, but a snapshot went to testers on Friday night; I'm waiting for feedback. There's also still at least one bug to fix before it can move to beta testing.
And it is on my list for this afternoon to look at ;)

greatkingrat in post 130359 said:
Euston is now part of the Wembley Mainline loader sim. It seems unlikely that a stand-alone Euston sim would be rereleased as well as then there would be two sims covering the same area.
Euston sim and Wembley Mainline are set in different eras and so are happily able to both be concurrently released with each other.

Log in to reply
What happened to Euston? 04/08/2020 at 15:49 #130364
TUT
Avatar
284 posts
We saw a similar case recently when Liverpool Lime Street (also simulated on the Edge Hill sim) was re-released as a standalone sim (and a very good one).

Also, it's not just that the Euston sim simulated a different era, Eustom sim simulated Euston PSB while Wembley Mainline simulates Wembley ASC and I should imagine that they make for very different games. In fact I remember some possibly ill-advised thinking out loud from a while back that it might be a good idea to have the old PSBs at Euston, Willesden, Watford Junction (full) Bletchley etc. in parallel to the modern sims with Rugby SCC, Wembley ASC etc. I'm not suggesting this will or even can happen, but it was definitely a nice idea, whoever's it was ....

Log in to reply
What happened to Euston? 04/08/2020 at 18:50 #130371
GeoffM
Avatar
5217 posts
TUT in post 130364 said:
In fact I remember some possibly ill-advised thinking out loud from a while back that it might be a good idea to have the old PSBs at Euston, Willesden, Watford Junction (full) Bletchley etc. in parallel to the modern sims with Rugby SCC, Wembley ASC etc. I'm not suggesting this will or even can happen, but it was definitely a nice idea, whoever's it was .... :P
It has certainly been mused as an idea, but unless a lot of information and time comes up, I doubt it would happen, sadly. The older areas/eras do tend to be more complex in signalling and shunting, though sometimes less busy for passenger trains.

SimSig Boss
Log in to reply
What happened to Euston? 04/08/2020 at 19:28 #130373
TUT
Avatar
284 posts
GeoffM in post 130371 said:
TUT in post 130364 said:
In fact I remember some possibly ill-advised thinking out loud from a while back that it might be a good idea to have the old PSBs at Euston, Willesden, Watford Junction (full) Bletchley etc. in parallel to the modern sims with Rugby SCC, Wembley ASC etc. I'm not suggesting this will or even can happen, but it was definitely a nice idea, whoever's it was .... :P
It has certainly been mused as an idea, but unless a lot of information and time comes up, I doubt it would happen, sadly. The older areas/eras do tend to be more complex in signalling and shunting, though sometimes less busy for passenger trains.
Yes it was your post I remembered back from July 2014 (https://www.simsig.co.uk/Forum/PostView/62883)! See we do listen guv'nor :P

I didn't like to imply to anyone it was on the cards though, but thought it was relevant to this thread that the WCML PSBs and today's Wembley ASC and Rugby SCC, let alone tomorrow's Rugby ROC, are quite separate and different

Yeah, I should play more older timetables really, they do seem to be more fun, but perhaps lacking in service frequency sometimes

Last edited: 04/08/2020 at 19:29 by TUT
Reason: None given

Log in to reply
What happened to Euston? 05/08/2020 at 09:21 #130398
kbarber
Avatar
1504 posts
TUT in post 130373 said:
GeoffM in post 130371 said:
TUT in post 130364 said:
In fact I remember some possibly ill-advised thinking out loud from a while back that it might be a good idea to have the old PSBs at Euston, Willesden, Watford Junction (full) Bletchley etc. in parallel to the modern sims with Rugby SCC, Wembley ASC etc. I'm not suggesting this will or even can happen, but it was definitely a nice idea, whoever's it was .... :P
It has certainly been mused as an idea, but unless a lot of information and time comes up, I doubt it would happen, sadly. The older areas/eras do tend to be more complex in signalling and shunting, though sometimes less busy for passenger trains.
Yes it was your post I remembered back from July 2014 (https://www.simsig.co.uk/Forum/PostView/62883)! See we do listen guv'nor :P

I didn't like to imply to anyone it was on the cards though, but thought it was relevant to this thread that the WCML PSBs and today's Wembley ASC and Rugby SCC, let alone tomorrow's Rugby ROC, are quite separate and different

Yeah, I should play more older timetables really, they do seem to be more fun, but perhaps lacking in service frequency sometimes
I wouldn't say the old Willesden PSB was lacking in service frequency. Not if you were Brent Sidings Supervisor anyway. Quite apart from all the up freightliners changing engines in High Level Sidings then coming on the panel at Harlesden, while in the down direction the engine change took place at WN101 (on the Down City, right outside the box). And all the stocks heading to & from Willesden Carriage Shed (and the notorious 'Golden Mile'), and locos working between the TMD and Euston - a rare old mix of diagrammed moves of locos for exam and undiagrammed 'for repairs' that usually had Control tearing their hair out to find substitutes down at Euston.

Log in to reply
What happened to Euston? 11/08/2020 at 23:56 #130574
DavidSplett
Avatar
85 posts
clive in post 130360 said:
Yes, Euston is that old. It was the third (I think) sim I wrote. I recall that we did a preview at the York meeting (who remembers that?) where some nasty bugs in the multiplayer logic showed up.

Loader Euston has been in alpha test for some time. There have been delay because of personal problems I've been dealing with, but a snapshot went to testers on Friday night; I'm waiting for feedback. There's also still at least one bug to fix before it can move to beta testing.

So it *will* appear, but I can't promise when. It will be ready when it's ready.

My next project will be to convert Cambridge to Loader. There will *probably* be an intermediate release that just replicates what was in the EXE rather than including all the layout changes that have happened since it was first written (though, of course, having all the stuff the Loader has). Again, no timescales.

[I'm the developer of Cambridge and Euston, so you may take this as authoritative.]
Really wonderful news to hear Cambridge is in the pipeline.

I’d be more than happy to write a modern era timetable or two for it when the time comes.

Log in to reply
What happened to Euston? 12/08/2020 at 14:30 #130587
bugsy
Avatar
789 posts
DavidSplett in post 130574 said:


Really wonderful news to hear Cambridge is in the pipeline.

Couldn't agree more.
Cambridge is definitely very near the top of my shopping list which is getting longer and longer and waiting for funds to build up

Your life can have a thousand different meanings or maybe just one....I'd recommend more than one in case you got it wrong - (Rezende)
Log in to reply