Upcoming Games


Full list
Add a game

Upcoming Events

No events to display

We are not planning any more in-person events until the COVID-19 situation has improved.

A little Mock-SimSig Fun!

You are here: Home > Forum > Wishlist > Simulation wish list > A little Mock-SimSig Fun!

Page 3 of 14

A little Mock-SimSig Fun! 16/03/2021 at 11:38 #137883
bill_gensheet
Avatar
818 posts
elltrain3 in post 137879 said:
and a very long Inverness sim complete! the amount of crossings is just mad! you'd be on the phone all the time! haha

... not to mention wearing out the scroll wheel !

Noticed a couple of typos, unless you have got real 'railway' spellings ...
Fodderty
Achterneed
Acheilidh
Georgemas

Kildonan OC is adjacent to the station, and Learable some distance north.
http://www.gensheet.co.uk/photo2L/158740_kildonan.jpg

Kinbrace LC is north of the station

Does Georgemas not also have route buttons for Thurso / south like Dingwall ?

Bill

Log in to reply
A little Mock-SimSig Fun! 16/03/2021 at 12:19 #137884
Albert
Avatar
1215 posts
And Kyle of Lochalsh.
AJP in games
Log in to reply
A little Mock-SimSig Fun! 16/03/2021 at 13:22 #137885
Steamer
Avatar
3652 posts
Online
peterb in post 137880 said:
Steamer in post 137868 said:
My take on the S&C:

Blea Moor's UGL starter is BM19.
Cheers, the photos of that box weren't as clear as some of the others.

Does anyone know if Settle Jn has an annunciator on the Carnforth line? It's not marked on the box diagram as far as I can tell, but equally I can't imagine they just pull off and pray given the length of the section.

"Don't stress/ relax/ let life roll off your backs./ Except for death and paying taxes/ everything in life.../ is only for now." (Avenue Q)
Log in to reply
A little Mock-SimSig Fun! 16/03/2021 at 14:13 #137886
elltrain3
Avatar
276 posts
Online
Yeah, haha sorry about the spellings xD was a long night trawling the appendix and finished it at 2am!

and not sure about georgemas junc its all done via a button on the platform there. The diver presses as to the route requested

"The Out-of-control Host"
Log in to reply
The following user said thank you: bill_gensheet
A little Mock-SimSig Fun! 16/03/2021 at 17:30 #137887
Ron_J
Avatar
305 posts
elltrain3 in post 137879 said:
and a very long Inverness sim complete! the amount of crossings is just mad! you'd be on the phone all the time! haha


That’s why the real thing has a level crossing desk.

Log in to reply
The following user said thank you: Guts
A little Mock-SimSig Fun! 16/03/2021 at 17:56 #137888
bill_gensheet
Avatar
818 posts
The background operation at Dingwall, from the Scot-Rail group
>>
They work when the plunger on the platform is pressed to set the desired route at
the junction. The track circuit in the platform has to be occupied to complete the
operation, when either B for Branch (Kyle) or M for Main (North) will appear in the
theatre route indicator, along with the steady PSI light and flashing blue TPWS
light.
For trains entering Dingwall from the north or from Kyle, they occupy track circuits
which set the junction points. When they and the hydraulically sprung points loop
points are detected in the correct position the PSI on the approach to the junction
will illuminate.
<<

Since then the yellow / off PSI has become a yellow / flashing red PSI

Also you'd need to cope with the 'loop clear' phone call from the driver
or replicate invisibly via track circuiting. This allows a Kyle train to depart while a Wick train is still between Dingwall and Evanton IB / Invergordon.

I think it has been said before that any actual FNL SimSig is more likely be pre-RETB.

Bill

Log in to reply
A little Mock-SimSig Fun! 16/03/2021 at 19:40 #137890
peterb
Avatar
437 posts
Steamer in post 137885 said:
peterb in post 137880 said:
Steamer in post 137868 said:
My take on the S&C:

Blea Moor's UGL starter is BM19.
Cheers, the photos of that box weren't as clear as some of the others.

Does anyone know if Settle Jn has an annunciator on the Carnforth line? It's not marked on the box diagram as far as I can tell, but equally I can't imagine they just pull off and pray given the length of the section.
Do shout if you want any more info regarding BM - it became my specialist subject during Lockdown.

No annunciator as far as I know either, but there's about 400 yards between SJ7 and SJ8 - might that be sufficient?

bill_gensheet in post 137888 said:
The background operation at Dingwall, from the Scot-Rail group
>>
They work when the plunger on the platform is pressed to set the desired route at
the junction. The track circuit in the platform has to be occupied to complete the
operation, when either B for Branch (Kyle) or M for Main (North) will appear in the
theatre route indicator, along with the steady PSI light and flashing blue TPWS
light.
For trains entering Dingwall from the north or from Kyle, they occupy track circuits
which set the junction points. When they and the hydraulically sprung points loop
points are detected in the correct position the PSI on the approach to the junction
will illuminate.
<<

Since then the yellow / off PSI has become a yellow / flashing red PSI

Also you'd need to cope with the 'loop clear' phone call from the driver
or replicate invisibly via track circuiting. This allows a Kyle train to depart while a Wick train is still between Dingwall and Evanton IB / Invergordon.

I think it has been said before that any actual FNL SimSig is more likely be pre-RETB.

Bill
Likewise at Crianlarich and Georgemas, I understand.

As I think someone has said already - if WHL/FNL were simulated, in RETB era, then it would be similar to the Hereford sim yet on a bigger scale. I for one would still buy it though...

Log in to reply
A little Mock-SimSig Fun! 16/03/2021 at 19:53 #137892
DaveHarries
Avatar
1120 posts
elltrain3 in post 137879 said:
and a very long Inverness sim complete! the amount of crossings is just mad! you'd be on the phone all the time! haha


Nice: looks like it would be a challenge on a single-player!

Dave

Log in to reply
A little Mock-SimSig Fun! 16/03/2021 at 20:04 #137894
elltrain3
Avatar
276 posts
Online
Yeah, the station and shunts would keep you busy, and also keeping an eye on X-ings & the RETB lines would be an interesting sim to play
"The Out-of-control Host"
Log in to reply
A little Mock-SimSig Fun! 16/03/2021 at 21:04 #137899
Steamer
Avatar
3652 posts
Online
peterb in post 137890 said:
Steamer in post 137885 said:
peterb in post 137880 said:
Steamer in post 137868 said:
My take on the S&C:

Blea Moor's UGL starter is BM19.
Cheers, the photos of that box weren't as clear as some of the others.

Does anyone know if Settle Jn has an annunciator on the Carnforth line? It's not marked on the box diagram as far as I can tell, but equally I can't imagine they just pull off and pray given the length of the section.
Do shout if you want any more info regarding BM - it became my specialist subject during Lockdown.
The only other thing that crossed my mind at Blea Moor was whether the Timber/VQ siding could be accessed from the north; for some reason I had it in my head that a working from Carlisle ran to it at some point, but looking at the diagram there's nothing to allow it.

Quote:
No annunciator as far as I know either, but there's about 400 yards between SJ7 and SJ8 - might that be sufficient?
Unlike the branch distant at Hellifield, the one from Carnforth is worked, so the intention seems to be there to give a clear run to a train off the branch. I spent a couple of hours photographing from the bridge at Settle Jn last summer, and as I recall the signals were pulled off a few minutes before the train off the branch passed. The area was relatively busy around that time, so I just can't imagine they were cleared on blind faith.

"Don't stress/ relax/ let life roll off your backs./ Except for death and paying taxes/ everything in life.../ is only for now." (Avenue Q)
Log in to reply
A little Mock-SimSig Fun! 16/03/2021 at 21:48 #137901
jc92
Avatar
3396 posts
The sectional appendix shows a 15mph limit over Settle Junction from Carnforth, I wonder if the distant isn't worked in practice during busy periods (assuming no annunciator, and I agree it seems likely there is one) as a clear distant is of limited value when the train has be slowed right down anyway.
"We don't stop camborne wednesdays"
Log in to reply
A little Mock-SimSig Fun! 17/03/2021 at 08:35 #137913
peterb
Avatar
437 posts
Steamer in post 137899 said:

The only other thing that crossed my mind at Blea Moor was whether the Timber/VQ siding could be accessed from the north; for some reason I had it in my head that a working from Carlisle ran to it at some point, but looking at the diagram there's nothing to allow it.
No - access is from the down line only. Likewise at Arcow. I think there have been workings from Carlisle but these would have gone the long way round via Clitheroe.

Log in to reply
The following user said thank you: Steamer
A little Mock-SimSig Fun! 17/03/2021 at 08:43 #137914
Splodge
Avatar
575 posts
jc92 in post 137901 said:
The sectional appendix shows a 15mph limit over Settle Junction from Carnforth, I wonder if the distant isn't worked in practice during busy periods (assuming no annunciator, and I agree it seems likely there is one) as a clear distant is of limited value when the train has be slowed right down anyway.
Looks like the distant is actually colour light ( https://www.google.com/maps/@54.0535081,-2.2904057,3a,62.1y,172.14h,86.96t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s5uMjCx4RrFmzoXO0QtdHuw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656 ) so presumably it can show both caution and clear aspects

There's the right way, the wrong way and the railway.
Last edited: 17/03/2021 at 08:59 by Peter Bennet
Reason: Link was not working properly due to brackets

Log in to reply
A little Mock-SimSig Fun! 17/03/2021 at 09:02 #137915
kbarber
Avatar
1586 posts
Steamer in post 137899 said:
peterb in post 137890 said:
Steamer in post 137885 said:
peterb in post 137880 said:
Steamer in post 137868 said:
My take on the S&C:

Blea Moor's UGL starter is BM19.
Cheers, the photos of that box weren't as clear as some of the others.

Does anyone know if Settle Jn has an annunciator on the Carnforth line? It's not marked on the box diagram as far as I can tell, but equally I can't imagine they just pull off and pray given the length of the section.
Do shout if you want any more info regarding BM - it became my specialist subject during Lockdown.
The only other thing that crossed my mind at Blea Moor was whether the Timber/VQ siding could be accessed from the north; for some reason I had it in my head that a working from Carlisle ran to it at some point, but looking at the diagram there's nothing to allow it.

Quote:
No annunciator as far as I know either, but there's about 400 yards between SJ7 and SJ8 - might that be sufficient?
Unlike the branch distant at Hellifield, the one from Carnforth is worked, so the intention seems to be there to give a clear run to a train off the branch. I spent a couple of hours photographing from the bridge at Settle Jn last summer, and as I recall the signals were pulled off a few minutes before the train off the branch passed. The area was relatively busy around that time, so I just can't imagine they were cleared on blind faith.
I can't think off-hand where I've seen it, but it's not unknown for SBSIs to mandate offering forward and/or clearing signals x minutes after TES received from the rear box.

Log in to reply
A little Mock-SimSig Fun! 17/03/2021 at 11:40 #137916
jc92
Avatar
3396 posts
Splodge in post 137914 said:
jc92 in post 137901 said:
The sectional appendix shows a 15mph limit over Settle Junction from Carnforth, I wonder if the distant isn't worked in practice during busy periods (assuming no annunciator, and I agree it seems likely there is one) as a clear distant is of limited value when the train has be slowed right down anyway.
Looks like the distant is actually colour light ( https://www.google.com/maps/@54.0535081,-2.2904057,3a,62.1y,172.14h,86.96t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s5uMjCx4RrFmzoXO0QtdHuw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656 ) so presumably it can show both caution and clear aspects
Steamer has already said that. It's definitely a worked distant. The point is that giving the driver a clear road from the distant may have limited value, so maybe when busy, they don't pull off in time to give the driver a green, if no annunciator is provided.

"We don't stop camborne wednesdays"
Log in to reply
A little Mock-SimSig Fun! 17/03/2021 at 11:43 #137918
jc92
Avatar
3396 posts
kbarber in post 137915 said:
Steamer in post 137899 said:
peterb in post 137890 said:
Steamer in post 137885 said:
peterb in post 137880 said:
Steamer in post 137868 said:
My take on the S&C:

Blea Moor's UGL starter is BM19.
Cheers, the photos of that box weren't as clear as some of the others.

Does anyone know if Settle Jn has an annunciator on the Carnforth line? It's not marked on the box diagram as far as I can tell, but equally I can't imagine they just pull off and pray given the length of the section.
Do shout if you want any more info regarding BM - it became my specialist subject during Lockdown.
The only other thing that crossed my mind at Blea Moor was whether the Timber/VQ siding could be accessed from the north; for some reason I had it in my head that a working from Carlisle ran to it at some point, but looking at the diagram there's nothing to allow it.

Quote:
No annunciator as far as I know either, but there's about 400 yards between SJ7 and SJ8 - might that be sufficient?
Unlike the branch distant at Hellifield, the one from Carnforth is worked, so the intention seems to be there to give a clear run to a train off the branch. I spent a couple of hours photographing from the bridge at Settle Jn last summer, and as I recall the signals were pulled off a few minutes before the train off the branch passed. The area was relatively busy around that time, so I just can't imagine they were cleared on blind faith.
I can't think off-hand where I've seen it, but it's not unknown for SBSIs to mandate offering forward and/or clearing signals x minutes after TES received from the rear box.
Hammerton & Cattal both have that mandated due to long single line sections, and Line clear effectively results in "locking" the intermediate crossings worked by keepers so its done reduce the amount of time this occurs for. its something like 3 or 4 mins after TES. the trouble with this section is purely that its incredibly long (the longest in fact) with multiple stations and delay possibilities.

"We don't stop camborne wednesdays"
Log in to reply
The following user said thank you: kbarber
A little Mock-SimSig Fun! 19/03/2021 at 18:06 #137977
elltrain3
Avatar
276 posts
Online
A quick Stranraer Sim (Paisley Fringe To Stranraer Hbr)

Electric Train Tablet here (ETT)
Plus a complex and weird arrangement at Dunragit where the line joins the original Port Road From Carlisle
As when Stranraer is switched "out" then a key token is locked into the frame at Dunragit, which in turn allows the OTS to be removed
so done my best to replicate that in this mock, apart from a "king" lever at Stranraer as not sure how that'd work in simsig.

Also clueless on the Track Circuit arrangement at Stranraer Harbour as due to the box not having been open regularly since 2007 and even little-used before then means there isn't an illuminated diagram nor are there any clear shots of the diagram.

lovely line though!

Post has attachments. Log in to view them.
"The Out-of-control Host"
Last edited: 19/03/2021 at 18:07 by elltrain3
Reason: None given

Log in to reply
A little Mock-SimSig Fun! 19/03/2021 at 18:48 #137979
bill_gensheet
Avatar
818 posts
A SimSig would simply have a 'generic green round' control and when clicked (with the right conditions to Dunragit and points set appropriately) would clear both signals.
That would then put Dunragit in 'OTW' mode.

Assume you'd worked from this diagram ?
https://signalbox.org/~SBdiagrams/stranraerhbr.jpg

As TC allow a remote signaller to 'see' train positions, it would not be unreasonable to allow a local signaller to 'see' any trains that would be visible out of the windows - ie TC for all the station area.

Log in to reply
A little Mock-SimSig Fun! 19/03/2021 at 19:17 #137980
DaveHarries
Avatar
1120 posts
elltrain3 in post 137977 said:
A quick Stranraer Sim (Paisley Fringe To Stranraer Hbr)

Electric Train Tablet here (ETT)
Plus a complex and weird arrangement at Dunragit where the line joins the original Port Road From Carlisle
As when Stranraer is switched "out" then a key token is locked into the frame at Dunragit, which in turn allows the OTS to be removed
so done my best to replicate that in this mock, apart from a "king" lever at Stranraer as not sure how that'd work in simsig.

Also clueless on the Track Circuit arrangement at Stranraer Harbour as due to the box not having been open regularly since 2007 and even little-used before then means there isn't an illuminated diagram nor are there any clear shots of the diagram.

lovely line though!

Would make a nice one-layer sim for practicing absolute block. This route is on my "intention to photo" list.

Dave

Log in to reply
A little Mock-SimSig Fun! 19/03/2021 at 19:45 #137981
jc92
Avatar
3396 posts
It would if there was any absolute block on it.
"We don't stop camborne wednesdays"
Log in to reply
A little Mock-SimSig Fun! 19/03/2021 at 20:37 #137982
elltrain3
Avatar
276 posts
Online
bill_gensheet in post 137979 said:
A SimSig would simply have a 'generic green round' control and when clicked (with the right conditions to Dunragit and points set appropriately) would clear both signals.
That would then put Dunragit in 'OTW' mode.

Assume you'd worked from this diagram ?
https://signalbox.org/~SBdiagrams/stranraerhbr.jpg

As TC allow a remote signaller to 'see' train positions, it would not be unreasonable to allow a local signaller to 'see' any trains that would be visible out of the windows - ie TC for all the station area.
I would if I could've found that diagram! i knew It existed but couldn't find it!
So there are some TC's just not many!

and ah yeah, might go add the roundel in!


and yeah No Absolute Block here, All Scottish Region Tokenless Block/Electric Train Tablet (Unique to this line)/One Train Staff & Electric Key Token

"The Out-of-control Host"
Last edited: 19/03/2021 at 20:39 by elltrain3
Reason: None given

Log in to reply
A little Mock-SimSig Fun! 19/03/2021 at 20:54 #137983
elltrain3
Avatar
276 posts
Online
A revised sim adding the King at Stranraer and adding some more TC's


Post has attachments. Log in to view them.
"The Out-of-control Host"
Log in to reply
A little Mock-SimSig Fun! 19/03/2021 at 21:27 #137984
bill_gensheet
Avatar
818 posts
Would have thought that the king lever required 12 / 13 / 14 rev, 17 normal, and it would then *allow* the signals (10, 11, 15) to be cleared into each other as normally 11 and 15 both off would not be allowed.

Equally 10, 11, 15 back 'on' to replace the lever

Bill

Last edited: 19/03/2021 at 21:28 by bill_gensheet
Reason: add 17 N

Log in to reply
A little Mock-SimSig Fun! 19/03/2021 at 21:33 #137985
elltrain3
Avatar
276 posts
Online
Yeah, i think it would be done that way, but assumed you wouldn't say the points need to be moved as simsig does that automatically when you set the route from the signals
"The Out-of-control Host"
Log in to reply
A little Mock-SimSig Fun! 19/03/2021 at 21:53 #137986
bill_gensheet
Avatar
818 posts
The likes of CSCOT at higher difficult levels needs points to be set manually before signals, so I'd expect the same for a king lever, and the signals to then follow automatically or be free.
Log in to reply