Stevenage new platform

You are here: Home > Forum > Simulations > Released > King's Cross > Stevenage new platform

Page 1 of 1

Stevenage new platform 28/10/2021 at 18:56 #142086
Jor_kill
Avatar
1 posts
Hi everyone !
As you may know already, the real Stevenage station has a new platform since a year. So, i'd like to know if someone can plan an update on the KGX sim te get more flexibility.

Log in to reply
The following user said thank you: UKTrainMan
Stevenage new platform 28/10/2021 at 19:39 #142087
Stephen Fulcher
Avatar
1826 posts
Kings Cross is no longer controlled by Kings Cross PSB, so I suspect it will not be updated to include any new lines.
Log in to reply
The following users said thank you: TUT, Jor_kill
Stevenage new platform 28/10/2021 at 20:15 #142088
Dionysusnu
Avatar
472 posts
Stephen Fulcher in post 142087 said:
Kings Cross is no longer controlled by Kings Cross PSB, so I suspect it will not be updated to include any new lines.
Wasn't Stevenage platform 5 added while the PSB was still open? If so, it would be nice if the simulation got an update to include this final state before it got removed.
Control boxes being removed hasn't stopped simulations before, for example London Bridge being released in 2018 despite closing after 2014.

Last edited: 28/10/2021 at 20:18 by Dionysusnu
Reason: None given

Log in to reply
The following user said thank you: UKTrainMan
Stevenage new platform 28/10/2021 at 20:28 #142090
Steamer
Avatar
3741 posts
There was a statement from Geoff a while ago that King's Cross won't be receiving any further updates.
"Don't stress/ relax/ let life roll off your backs./ Except for death and paying taxes/ everything in life.../ is only for now." (Avenue Q)
Log in to reply
The following users said thank you: Hap, Dionysusnu, elltrain3
Stevenage new platform 28/10/2021 at 20:31 #142091
TUT
Avatar
421 posts
Dionysusnu in post 142088 said:
Stephen Fulcher in post 142087 said:
Kings Cross is no longer controlled by Kings Cross PSB, so I suspect it will not be updated to include any new lines.
Wasn't Stevenage platform 5 added while the PSB was still open? If so, it would be nice if the simulation got an update to include this final state before it got removed.
Control boxes being removed hasn't stopped simulations before, for example London Bridge being released in 2018 despite closing after 2014.
Well yeah but London Bridge specifically simulates the ASC doesn't it and doesn't include the Thameslink upgrade.

Sheffield ROC could be a better example but I understand very little changed.

Log in to reply
Stevenage new platform 28/10/2021 at 22:49 #142096
GeoffM
Avatar
5876 posts
Dionysusnu in post 142088 said:
Wasn't Stevenage platform 5 added while the PSB was still open? If so, it would be nice if the simulation got an update to include this final state before it got removed.
I think many, many years of free updates to a free sim (with an occasional donation) is generous enough, no?

Dionysusnu in post 142088 said:
Control boxes being removed hasn't stopped simulations before, for example London Bridge being released in 2018 despite closing after 2014.
Completely different. The sim specifically targets the ASC era. If there were to be a current era it would be a new simulation, so vast are the changes.

SimSig Boss
Log in to reply
The following users said thank you: TUT, Hap
Stevenage new platform 28/10/2021 at 23:31 #142097
jc92
Avatar
3467 posts
TUT in post 142091 said:

Sheffield ROC could be a better example but I understand very little changed.
Nothing changed on opening, other than the panel/workstation boundaries changing and ARS equivalent being provided. The Major difference was the tram train alterations at Parkgate and Tinsley which followed the transition to ROC.

Since the sim was released, Woodburn, Woodhouse and Beighton have all closed and been added to Rotherham Workstation, although for the most part there aren't any changes other than renumbered signals and Beighton CCTV becoming OD. Woodburn Junction itself was completely remodelled to simplify the pointwork but provides the same functionality. Thankfully none of this really affects or prevents up to date timetables from being run.

"We don't stop camborne wednesdays"
Log in to reply
Stevenage new platform 29/10/2021 at 00:19 #142098
DavidSplett
Avatar
141 posts
GeoffM in post 142096 said:
Dionysusnu in post 142088 said:
Wasn't Stevenage platform 5 added while the PSB was still open? If so, it would be nice if the simulation got an update to include this final state before it got removed.
I think many, many years of free updates to a free sim (with an occasional donation) is generous enough, no?
Personal view, however I can’t help but find this frustrating. I have licenses for something in the region of 40 sims, but this doesn’t change King’s Cross being one of my three personal favourites (the other two happen to be payware). The reason is partly that King’s Cross is a quite captive sim, including a lot of trains which don’t leave the sim for the entire day, allowing a lot more in the way of “control” type decisions than many other sims.

Much as one can enjoy pushing trains through a simple area, this is in no way the same as having a debilitating failure right in the middle of the railway and having to put it all back together again. King’s Cross absolutely offers this experience with a high level of intensity, whilst at the same time being just about possible for one person to manage.

I’d certainly be more than happy for KX to become payware. The modern era timetables do work quite happily, I’ve recently done a rework of May 2020 for the most recent sim version, and the end result is only a couple of “workarounds” being required, and no timetable warnings at all. Certainly many long evenings playing it and going to bed with numbers and times running round in the head!

Last edited: 29/10/2021 at 00:19 by DavidSplett
Reason: None given

Log in to reply
The following user said thank you: Dionysusnu
Stevenage new platform 29/10/2021 at 12:23 #142103
Dionysusnu
Avatar
472 posts
GeoffM in post 142096 said:
Dionysusnu in post 142088 said:
Wasn't Stevenage platform 5 added while the PSB was still open? If so, it would be nice if the simulation got an update to include this final state before it got removed.
I think many, many years of free updates to a free sim (with an occasional donation) is generous enough, no?
Of course, my appreciation of a further update means that I am in no way grateful for the hard work that has already been done, resulting in the great simulation it is right now.
To be clear - I absolutely appreciate all the work the SimSig team puts into producing simulations.

Last edited: 29/10/2021 at 13:08 by Dionysusnu
Reason: None given

Log in to reply
Stevenage new platform 29/10/2021 at 12:25 #142104
Dionysusnu
Avatar
472 posts
GeoffM in post 142096 said:
Dionysusnu in post 142088 said:
Control boxes being removed hasn't stopped simulations before, for example London Bridge being released in 2018 despite closing after 2014.
Completely different. The sim specifically targets the ASC era. If there were to be a current era it would be a new simulation, so vast are the changes.
My point was that the London Bridge simulation was also released "post-mortem", after the PSB closed. The post I was responding to said "The simulation will not be updated because the PSB has now closed". I was merely pointing out that that has occurred in the past.

Log in to reply
The following user said thank you: UKTrainMan