Upcoming Games

Upcoming Events

Who's Online

postal, Tempest Malice, kaiwhara, Dionysusnu, TUT, whatlep (6 users seen recently)

Sim needs a password?

You are here: Home > Forum > Simulations > Released > Southampton > Sim needs a password?

Page 1 of 1

Sim needs a password? 20/04/2022 at 23:50 #146238
A350100BA
Avatar
41 posts
Hi I was just looking through the southampton thread for any photos to recreate it in ms.paint and I noticed the top of the threadboard now says that the thread requires a password, anyone know what this means?


Post has attachments. Log in to view them.
Bon
Log in to reply
Sim needs a password? 20/04/2022 at 23:53 #146239
headshot119
Avatar
4426 posts
As Southampton isn't generally available it's just a historical artifact, older versions of the simulation that where once available for download needed as password to run, the one that's shown on the forum.
"Passengers for New Lane, should be seated in the rear coach of the train " - Opinions are my own and not those of my employer
Log in to reply
Sim needs a password? 20/04/2022 at 23:59 #146240
A350100BA
Avatar
41 posts
Ahh, so its for those who still have the files installed to run it if they want
Bon
Log in to reply
Sim needs a password? 24/04/2022 at 21:50 #146263
A350100BA
Avatar
41 posts
Wait so is that possible then to get a version of the sim from someone who has it? and then play it using said password?
Bon
Log in to reply
Sim needs a password? 25/04/2022 at 09:01 #146264
postal
Avatar
4872 posts
Online
A350100BA in post 146263 said:
Wait so is that possible then to get a version of the sim from someone who has it? and then play it using said password?
If I understand the legalities correctly, anyone passing on a copy of the sim to you would be breaking the terms and conditions applicable to the SimSig software. See the Software Licence Agreement where Para 2.4 includes "The Licensee may not make available the Simulation for use by one or more third parties."

“In life, there is always someone out there, who won’t like you, for whatever reason, don’t let the insecurities in their lives affect yours.” – Rashida Rowe
Last edited: 25/04/2022 at 09:03 by postal
Reason: None given

Log in to reply
The following users said thank you: Peter Bennet, A350100BA, elltrain3, GeoffM
Sim needs a password? 27/04/2022 at 08:00 #146284
Jan
Avatar
829 posts
Though you if you don't keep the software, you are permitted to transfer it to somebody else (1.a.ii). So in theory if you find somebody with a copy of Southampton he or she no longer requires, they could transfer it to you…
Two million people attempt to use Birmingham's magnificent rail network every year, with just over a million of them managing to get further than Smethwick.
Log in to reply
Sim needs a password? 27/04/2022 at 12:57 #146285
Peter Bennet
Avatar
5166 posts
Jan in post 146284 said:
Though you if you don't keep the software, you are permitted to transfer it to somebody else (1.a.ii). So in theory if you find somebody with a copy of Southampton he or she no longer requires, they could transfer it to you…
1.a.ii (it's actually 1.1.a.ii) is referring to the loader, not the sims.
Having said that 2.4 is about .sim files, not .exe files to which earlier t&cs. would have applied.
However, I've no reason to believe that such terms were not the same in effect if not in wording.

I've probably got a copy somewhere as I recall helping draft them: or was that the Forum t&cs.

Peter

I identify as half man half biscuit - crumbs!
Log in to reply
Sim needs a password? 27/04/2022 at 13:07 #146286
Sacro
Avatar
1125 posts
Peter Bennet in post 146285 said:
Jan in post 146284 said:
Though you if you don't keep the software, you are permitted to transfer it to somebody else (1.a.ii). So in theory if you find somebody with a copy of Southampton he or she no longer requires, they could transfer it to you…
1.a.ii (it's actually 1.1.a.ii) is referring to the loader, not the sims.
Having said that 2.4 is about .sim files, not .exe files to which earlier t&cs. would have applied.
However, I've no reason to believe that such terms were not the same in effect if not in wording.

I've probably got a copy somewhere as I recall helping draft them: or was that the Forum t&cs.

Peter
Yes it did. We have this same discussion every couple of years.

Log in to reply
Sim needs a password? 27/04/2022 at 15:25 #146287
postal
Avatar
4872 posts
Online
Peter Bennet in post 146285 said:
Jan in post 146284 said:
Though you if you don't keep the software, you are permitted to transfer it to somebody else (1.a.ii). So in theory if you find somebody with a copy of Southampton he or she no longer requires, they could transfer it to you…
1.a.ii (it's actually 1.1.a.ii) is referring to the loader, not the sims.
Having said that 2.4 is about .sim files, not .exe files to which earlier t&cs. would have applied.
However, I've no reason to believe that such terms were not the same in effect if not in wording.

I've probably got a copy somewhere as I recall helping draft them: or was that the Forum t&cs.

Peter
In reality there would be no way that the licence in respect of the older .exe files could be policed or enforced but it's been a trip down an arcane byway.

“In life, there is always someone out there, who won’t like you, for whatever reason, don’t let the insecurities in their lives affect yours.” – Rashida Rowe
Log in to reply