Upcoming Games

Upcoming Events

No events to display

Who's Online

Jimmo94, Trainmancharlie, Fendahl, geswedey, GeoffM, TUT, BenWright (7 users seen recently)

An Access Violation

You are here: Home > Forum > Simulations > Released > Marylebone IECC > An Access Violation

Page 1 of 1

An Access Violation 16/11/2014 at 16:24 #65622
TUT
507 posts
Hi,

I'm posting this here, because I happened to get the fault while playing the Marylebone sim, but it seems that it's not exclusive to Marylebone (cf. here, here, here). It has, however, certainly been reported as occurring when playing the Marylebone sim (here).

The fault is an access violation - which, I believe, is equivalent to a seg fault: Wikipedia. Judging by the Wikipedia article, the range of sims the fault seems to affect, and a very small amount of googling (I know nothing about programming!) I think it's possible that the fault is actually with the SimSig core code, rather than any individual sims, but I could very easily be wrong.

Anyway, for what it's worth, the precise error message I get is this:

Internal error: Exception in OneSecondLo (EAccessViolation: Access violation at address 0043ED1D in module 'SimSigLoader.exe'. Read of address 00000008)

I am using Wine on Ubuntu (on a laptop which is admittedly past its prime and does need replacing), which may or may not be a factor.

The precise context in which this error occurs is as follows:

A little while ago I purchased the Marylebone sim and played it through to the end without any problems, enjoying it greatly. Having learned it, I decided to have another go (this time on a harder difficulty) and, at around 17:00, I got a similar message. I immediately saved the game, hoping to preserve my progress, expecting the game to crash or something like that. The game did not crash, but the ARS failed completely, so I restarted the game, but because (I assumed) of when I'd saved it, the error continually recurred on start-up.

I decided to have another go, this time resolving not to save the game if I saw that message, but to simply restart from my last save point. Obviously I decided to save regularly.

Yesterday, I finished playing and saved the game. When I loaded the sim, immediately I got the message I have just given you upon start up. This occurs every time, even on an older version of the Loader which I keep separate (because it seems to work better with the Victoria LUL sim, the new loader does not automatically update the TD at the end of a trip for some reason).

The time in the sim is 11:46 and I'm using the Marylebone Combined 18_12_12 v7-0 (0400) timetable, with full LUL, extra ARS and the 2015+ option. I've tried to attach the .ssg file.

6M48-1 has just left the sim to Calvert & Claydon Junction at this time, although it does not actually pass Grendon Underwood Jn GF until 11:47. I can't think of anything else that I was doing or that happens around that time that is particularly significant. The only thing I could add is that I had extra ARS turned on both times I had an access violation, but I had not turned it on the first time I played, where I was able to play through to the end.

Post has attachments. Log in to view them.
An Access Violation 16/11/2014 at 17:54 #65629
Albert
1313 posts
I've also had access violations at times with Wine. It can be caused by using the F8 simplifier on a recent sim where it's an HTML viewer.

Some faults with the HTML versions of the F2 train list and F8 simplifier can be solved by installing Internet Explorer 8 using Winetricks, which is in the repository. (In terminal, you can run: winetricks ie8).
I believe there also exists a configuration option to get the old version back of, at least, the Train List.

Please note however that SimSig on Linux is not officially supported.

AJP in games
An Access Violation 16/11/2014 at 19:57 #65631
awilson1
5 posts
I've not really had any issues using Simsig under WINE (mainly west mids sims) oddly the main issue I've had is not being able to lift CCTV LCS manually
An Access Violation 16/11/2014 at 20:16 #65635
TUT
507 posts
Thanks for the responses :)

" said:
I've also had access violations at times with Wine. It can be caused by using the F8 simplifier on a recent sim where it's an HTML viewer...Please note however that SimSig on Linux is not officially supported.
Yeah, that's fair enough. I've generally found SimSig to work pretty well and had no problems playing Swindon & Didcot through to the end. On the many other sims I've played, they've generally worked very well (apart from the minor issue with TDs on Victoria LUL), though I've usually only got a few hours into them.

All the same, I hope this is a fairly useful bug report, especially as it doesn't seem an isolated incident.

" said:
Some faults with the HTML versions of the F2 train list and F8 simplifier can be solved by installing Internet Explorer 8 using Winetricks, which is in the repository. (In terminal, you can run: winetricks ie8).
I believe there also exists a configuration option to get the old version back of, at least, the Train List.
Hmmmm...thanks for the advice I'll try and bear it in mind. I'm fairly sure I have ie8 and I don't usually use the simplifier, however I obviously do make regular use of the train list, so that could have had something to do with it.

An Access Violation 16/11/2014 at 20:38 #65636
Muzer
718 posts
" said:
I've not really had any issues using Simsig under WINE (mainly west mids sims) oddly the main issue I've had is not being able to lift CCTV LCS manually
This works fine for me. You have to unset all routes across them (even if the signal is still at danger) - this is by design for whatever reason.

The following user said thank you: awilson1
An Access Violation 16/11/2014 at 20:39 #65637
Muzer
718 posts
" said:
" said:
Hmmmm...thanks for the advice I'll try and bear it in mind. I'm fairly sure I have ie8 and I don't usually use the simplifier, however I obviously do make regular use of the train list, so that could have had something to do with it.
In the F3 options menu, there's a "Use legacy train list" option or something to that affect. It makes the train list much more usable in Linux even if it doesn't cause crashes normally - you no longer have to use the keyboard to navigate the menus.

An Access Violation 16/11/2014 at 22:12 #65639
Albert
1313 posts
Indeed, though with IE8 installed through Winetricks it works just like in Windows as far as I've seen. And I have yet to see such an option for the simplifier, which is more problematic because it doesn't work at all without IE.
AJP in games
An Access Violation 18/11/2014 at 12:25 #65649
clive
2738 posts
Any message saying "Internal error: Exception in ..." is generated by the core code and, therefore, is a core code issue. The exact text following the message is important in investigating it, so thank you for that; I also need to know exactly which version of the Loader you are using.
An Access Violation 18/11/2014 at 15:33 #65651
TUT
507 posts
Erm V4.1.2 I do believe.

The error also occurred on start-up when I loaded the save file with a back-up copy of V4.0.28 (although the initial error was generated whilst playing the sim in V4.1.2 and, in fact, I have only ever used that version when playing Marylebone IECC, including for all progress up until the save point).

An Access Violation 18/11/2014 at 22:02 #65654
clive
2738 posts
I've located something in the core code which could cause this message. Raised as Mantis 11970; Geoff will have to look at it, rather than me.
The following user said thank you: flherne
An Access Violation 19/11/2014 at 00:16 #65658
TUT
507 posts
Well thanks a lot for looking into it!
An Access Violation 28/11/2014 at 18:01 #65859
GeoffM
6282 posts
ARS issue - fixed.
SimSig Boss
The following users said thank you: maxand, TUT
An Access Violation 10/12/2014 at 18:32 #66425
TUT
507 posts
Seems promising so far, thanks!
An Access Violation 08/03/2015 at 09:23 #69890
danny_twonk
5 posts
Hi,

I keep getting the same error as mentioned by the OP, I am using windows 8 and I am using the latest version of the software that I downloaded a few days ago. I have tried re-loading the sim a few times but I still get the same error message and the ARS fails.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Many Thanks
Daniel

An Access Violation 08/03/2015 at 21:41 #69905
clive
2738 posts
What version does the Loader say it is?
An Access Violation 09/03/2015 at 09:16 #69910
danny_twonk
5 posts
Hi,

Its version 4.0.28

An Access Violation 09/03/2015 at 11:11 #69914
BarryM
2158 posts
" said:
Hi,

Its version 4.0.28
You need to update your Loader to version 4.3.2. Click on the "Check for Updates" box and see if that fixes your problem.

Barry

Barry, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia