Upcoming Games

(UTC times)

Full list
Add a game

Upcoming Events

No events to display

1M41 platform clash

You are here: Home > Forum > Simulations > Released > Birmingham New Street > 1M41 platform clash

Page 1 of 1

1M41 platform clash 24/03/2014 at 07:59 #57648
wumpty
2 posts
The ECS that forms 1D52 and 1D53 is timetabled to run to Platform 10M, and as such when 1M41 arrives to 10B there's not enough space, as I've just found out . The current booked platform for 1M41 is actually 9B, which makes sense as it's also free for the duration of its time in New St in the era simulated.

Incidentally how does the signaller at New St know if there's space for another train if a driver doesn't in the right place on one of these platform middle jobs?

1M41 platform clash 24/03/2014 at 11:08 #57654
Late Turn
696 posts
In reality, at most major stations at least, platform staff are in the best position to confirm whether there's sufficient room for a second train (and often indicate the required stopping position to an incoming driver), unless it can be deduced by track circuit occupation where there's more than one through the length of the platform. No idea whether New Street works like that, but it seems likely!

Tom

1M41 platform clash 24/03/2014 at 11:43 #57656
John
884 posts
At Victoria, when things are going wrong and the station's upside down, the signaller will give me a quick call to confirm what's where before s/he routes a train into an already occupied platform.
The following user said thank you: mfcooper
1M41 platform clash 24/03/2014 at 15:45 #57675
mfcooper
707 posts
" said:
At Victoria, when things are going wrong and the station's upside down, the signaller will give me a quick call to confirm what's where before s/he routes a train into an already occupied platform.
Those few moments whilst John (and his colleagues) say "I'll just check the cameras", and the signaller hope they're going to say the correct answer.

It doesn't help when they make a mistake is made and 8 goes on top of 6 in platform 12 :whistle: Damn stock changes!

1M41 platform clash 24/03/2014 at 16:20 #57677
John
884 posts
A few years back, the timetable had an 8 375 arriving in the platform which would then have a 4 375 from Grosvenor sidings follow it into the same platform to attach to it.

Now, sometimes the shunter will ring two trains out at the same time - one in A section, the other in B. The next train scheduled from Grosvenor sidings immediately after the 4 375 was a 12 375.

You can probably guess what happened next...!

Last edited: 24/03/2014 at 16:33 by John
1M41 platform clash 25/03/2014 at 16:51 #57773
TimB2010
77 posts
In regards to your question about the signaller knowing if there is space or not for a certain move, the regulator will ask the platform supervisor/chargeman concerened on the radio link between the box and the station.

It is quite common for the supervisor on 6/7 or 10/11 to ask for certain trains to be brought into the station either Derby-side or Western if there are space issues.

I had many of these conversations in my time as platform staff or supervisor at BHM.

1M41 platform clash 26/03/2014 at 08:40 #57818
wumpty
2 posts
Many thanks for the answers. Curses 1D53 for stopping too far down the Gloucester end.

I've just reloaded the save file. It's actually 1M53 which won't fit not 1M41. Oops, that'll teach me from posting after looking at current timetable which is a bit different. I used to be a guard in the West Mids, but it never dawned on me what the signallers had to put up with at New St, and how, even a couple delay minutes can spread to other lines. Really enjoying this though, thanks to all concerned

1M41 platform clash 30/09/2014 at 21:26 #64797
TimB2010
77 posts
" said:
Many thanks for the answers. Curses 1D53 for stopping too far down the Gloucester end.

I've just reloaded the save file. It's actually 1M53 which won't fit not 1M41. Oops, that'll teach me from posting after looking at current timetable which is a bit different. I used to be a guard in the West Mids, but it never dawned on me what the signallers had to put up with at New St, and how, even a couple delay minutes can spread to other lines. Really enjoying this though, thanks to all concerned :)
It never dawned on me either, and I was a platform supervisor and dispatch trainer...

:yikes

1M41 platform clash 01/10/2014 at 07:47 #64799
delticfan
476 posts
" said:
" said:

I've just reloaded the save file. It's actually 1M53 which won't fit not 1M41. Oops, that'll teach me from posting after looking at current timetable which is a bit different. I used to be a guard in the West Mids, but it never dawned on me what the signallers had to put up with at New St, and how, even a couple delay minutes can spread to other lines. Really enjoying this though, thanks to all concerned :)
It never dawned on me either, and I was a platform supervisor and dispatch trainer...

Same here. I was a dispatcher at New St 12 years. Couldn't imagine what the signallers faced until I tackled New St sim. I remember how many short-notice platform changes there used to be though.

1M41 platform clash 01/10/2014 at 20:55 #64821
TimB2010
77 posts
" said:
" said:
" said:

Same here. I was a dispatcher at New St 12 years. Couldn't imagine what the signallers faced until I tackled New St sim. I remember how many short-notice platform changes there used to be though.
I know, it used to drive the punters mad. I swear they all thought we were just doing it to "play trains".

1M41 platform clash 02/10/2014 at 22:36 #64836
IrishDave
51 posts
" said:

Apologies - I only just saw this thread! I compiled the timetable, and in particular I made sure there aren't any platform clashes (which took more time than I'd care to admit...!).

Looking carefully at the timetable, you'll note that 5D52 is due into New St at 07:09, two minutes after 1M53. (5D52 has 9 minutes pathing time between St Andrews Jn and Proof House Jn, so should be held at NS127 until right time.)

So, if 1M53 is signalled into 10B first, and *then* 5D52 is given the call-on route at the mid-platform signal on 10, then 5D52 will stop in the right place and still leave enough room for 1V81-1 to reverse in 10A (after 1D52 has departed).

Hopefully that should suffice as a work-around for now? When I next come to revise it I'll experiment with putting a stopping position on 5D52 and see if I can get it to work regardless of what order you put the trains in.