Ringing phone confusion

You are here: Home > Forum > General > General questions, comments, and issues > Ringing phone confusion

Page 1 of 1

Ringing phone confusion 29/01/2014 at 12:18 #54487
maxand
1637 posts
I recently selected phone.wav (available from Sounds folder) to be played whenever a new Phone message appeared. Hear it ring until I press A, answer the message, hang up. The only problem is that, even if there are no more callers, the phone still manages to ring once AFTER I hang up, thus confusing me momentarily as to whether there is another caller. It should remain silent once I hang up if there are no further callers, but start ringing again as soon as I hang up if there are more unanswered calls. Phone.wav contains just one phone ring, so this must be a software problem.

No big deal, but it would be nice to see this fixed.

Ringing phone confusion 29/01/2014 at 13:40 #54497
y10g9
895 posts
I have to admit that you are the first person that i know in the 4 years i've been on the forum who has moaned about this.
From the way i see it, others aren't moaning about the software (mostly of which is free) but there always seems to be comments coming from you because the software doesn't do what maxand wants it to do.
This 'problem' that you're talking about, i've just taken that its a confirmation of the message being sent and received by the driver. if i don't get a single ring at the end of the phonecall, then i know that i need to go and deal with him more (ie enter a headcode so he can pass a signal at danger, or hes gone and hung up on me so i need to clear that dialog box)

Ringing phone confusion 29/01/2014 at 14:49 #54503
BoxBoyKit
166 posts
You'll get used to it. Everyone else has.
Ringing phone confusion 29/01/2014 at 16:54 #54509
northroad
870 posts
" said:
I have to admit that you are the first person that i know in the 4 years i've been on the forum who has moaned about this.
From the way i see it, others aren't moaning about the software (mostly of which is free) but there always seems to be comments coming from you because the software doesn't do what maxand wants it to do
Is it me or are people getting more hostile on this forum. Max and was only asking a question which obviously to him was important enough to seek other users help or opinions on. A few years ago people seemed only too ready to help but times seem to have changed and he really did not ask for such a remark in a response.

Or is it me being childish again?.

Geoff

Ringing phone confusion 29/01/2014 at 17:28 #54514
JamesN
1575 posts
" said:
I recently selected phone.wav (available from Sounds folder) to be played whenever a new Phone message appeared. Hear it ring until I press A, answer the message, hang up. The only problem is that, even if there are no more callers, the phone still manages to ring once AFTER I hang up, thus confusing me momentarily as to whether there is another caller. It should remain silent once I hang up if there are no further callers, but start ringing again as soon as I hang up if there are more unanswered calls. Phone.wav contains just one phone ring, so this must be a software problem.

No big deal, but it would be nice to see this fixed.
The sound is attatched to any telephone message, this includes the outgoing message/reply. I think its simply a legacy 'feature' of how SimSig was originally programmed. I don't know how easy it would be to seperate the two, at a guess I can imagine the cost (in time, reprogramming, effort etc) outweighs the benefits.

Thanks for pointing it out though it has been seen by the relevant people.

Ringing phone confusion 29/01/2014 at 17:47 #54517
Gwasanaethau
509 posts
" said:
From the way i see it, others aren't moaning about the software (mostly of which is free) but there always seems to be comments coming from you because the software doesn't do what maxand wants it to do…

I wouldn’t call this a moan, now. To me, this was a good (simple) question: one I too wondered at times but just never actually asked anybody myself. Maybe it was because I had the same approach as BoxBoyKit, but I can certainly understand how this might be on the annoying side for a few people; I have the same attitude towards other things that most other people would ignore. Maxand was right to raise this as, if this is indeed a four-year-old quirk, there might be a really easy solution in the modern evolution of the programme.

Also, as a once avid member of the free and open source community (both user and small-scale coder), I have the opinion that just because something is free (whatever meaning you apply to that), doesn’t mean you shouldn’t make suggestions to try to help make it better…

The following user said thank you: maxand
Ringing phone confusion 29/01/2014 at 18:34 #54519
postal
5190 posts
I suspect that the differences of opinion are due to the different ways that people approach SimSig. I guess that most people are coming from the standpoint of railway enthusiasm and are far more concerned that the railway aspects of the sim are as true to life as possible. However, there are other people who have chanced upon SimSig as piece of computer work. For these people it must be aggravating to see things happening which the most basic of computer work would make simpler and more effective.

In those circumstances, there are always going to be cases where questions the railway fan would never think to ask will be raised. That doesn't make them wrong and in fairness there have been a number of tweaks to the user-friendliness of SimSig as a direct result of questions and suggestions from Maxand where the railwayista have previously never queried how things were working.

Given this and the kerfuffle about the Shout Box, perhaps we've all just been having a bad day. Let's hope tomorrow is better.

“In life, there is always someone out there, who won’t like you, for whatever reason, don’t let the insecurities in their lives affect yours.” – Rashida Rowe
Last edited: 29/01/2014 at 18:34 by postal
Reason: typo

The following users said thank you: maxand, Gwasanaethau, Josie, mfloyd, Signalhunter, BarryM
Ringing phone confusion 29/01/2014 at 20:00 #54528
Peter Bennet
5360 posts
It does seem a reasonable question to ask and one I would probably have asked myself if I'd noticed it, which to be honest I'd not till now.

Peter

I identify as half man half biscuit - crumbs!
Ringing phone confusion 29/01/2014 at 21:15 #54537
KymriskaDraken
963 posts
I seem to remember that the SPT concentrator in Bristol Panel gave a single ring when the phone was hung up by either party.

Kev

Ringing phone confusion 29/01/2014 at 21:19 #54541
Forest Pines
525 posts
It's interesting the things that some people will raise as an issue and others ignore. I'm sure I noticed this years ago but I've never really thought to point it out to anyone as something that needs to be changed. I have a funny feeling it didn't happen in the first few sims, actually, but I could be wrong. It reminds me of accouple of things: a phone my parents had 30 years ago which would "ding" when you replaced the handset on the hook switch, and the way that key token instruments ring the block bell when you withdraw a token.
Ringing phone confusion 29/01/2014 at 21:30 #54545
jc92
3629 posts
" said:
reminds me of lever 102 at Exeter West...

"We don't stop camborne wednesdays"
Ringing phone confusion 30/01/2014 at 01:19 #54571
maxand
1637 posts
Well, my original intention was not to annoy anyone but simply state the problem as I saw it. Thanks to all who replied constructively.
Ringing phone confusion 30/01/2014 at 02:20 #54574
Muzer
718 posts
If this were ever to be changed (not saying it has to be, but if, for example, the whole phone logic is being rewritten so this may as well be changed as well), a good compromise would presumably be to have an "incoming phone message" and "outgoing phone message" ring sound effect. This way, people who like the current behaviour can have both set to the same file, people who don't can leave the second empty, and you have the added bonus of being able to insert a single "ding" like many old-fashioned phones do actually make when placed back on the hook to make it even more realistic.
Ringing phone confusion 30/01/2014 at 10:34 #54584
kbarber
1712 posts
Then there's the old-style (1960s, but still in use in the '80s and probably much later) concentrators used for signal post telephones on the ER (and, I think, on the West Coast Main Line, therefore authentic for Euston). Memory may be mixing things up a little, but I seem to recall an incoming call would be heralded by a series of clicks as the uniselectors connected it, followed by a single ring (I don't recall whether it went on until answered or rang then stopped). On ending the call, it was cleared down by pressing a button on the concentrator; there was then a brief buzz caused by the uniselectors clearing down very rapidly to their normal state. So if a feature were created to separate signal post phones from other calls (not a bad idea in my view, though possibly complicating things beyond what's sensible) it might also make sense to provide separate 'ring' and 'hang up' sounds so they could be specified as necessary (including no sound where that's appropriate).

Pedant? Moi???

Ringing phone confusion 30/01/2014 at 14:08 #54595
Danny252
1461 posts
" said:
" said:
reminds me of lever 102 at Exeter West...
102's a beautiful lever, no one could ever hate such a finely crafted example of awkward interlocking and unfathomably long lever leads!

The following user said thank you: welshdragon
Ringing phone confusion 30/01/2014 at 14:34 #54597
ralphjwchadkirk
275 posts
I think this is an entirely reasonable issue to be brought up by Maxand, and I have to say I'm quite disappointed to read the hostile response he got in the first two posts.
Ringing phone confusion 30/01/2014 at 20:19 #54656
clive
2738 posts
" said:
Memory may be mixing things up a little, but I seem to recall an incoming call would be heralded by a series of clicks as the uniselectors connected it, followed by a single ring (I don't recall whether it went on until answered or rang then stopped). On ending the call, it was cleared down by pressing a button on the concentrator; there was then a brief buzz caused by the uniselectors clearing down very rapidly to their normal state.
Are you sure they were uniselectors rather than standard Strowger selectors? Uniselectors just spun, so wouldn't need to reset afterwards. Selectors would need to return to the start position after the call.

Ringing phone confusion 30/01/2014 at 21:14 #54663
Forest Pines
525 posts
" said:

Uniselectors just spun, so wouldn't need to reset afterwards.
It depends how they were wired. For example in large GPO telephone exchanges with a dedicated uniselector for each line, the uniselectors would have one or two "home" positions where the wipers were not connected to a first-digit selector. When the subscriber took their phone off the hook their uniselector would step from the home position to the first free first-digit selector, and when their phone went back on the hook it would step forward to the next home position. I would imagine a uniselector in a concentrator might work in a similar way, to make sure that the phone in the signalbox was not left connected to a line when not in use.

Ringing phone confusion 31/01/2014 at 06:23 #54684
clive
2738 posts
" said:
" said:

Uniselectors just spun, so wouldn't need to reset afterwards.
It depends how they were wired. For example in large GPO telephone exchanges with a dedicated uniselector for each line, the uniselectors would have one or two "home" positions where the wipers were not connected to a first-digit selector.
Oops, I'd forgotten about that point.

Ringing phone confusion 31/01/2014 at 09:38 #54690
kbarber
1712 posts
" said:
" said:
Memory may be mixing things up a little, but I seem to recall an incoming call would be heralded by a series of clicks as the uniselectors connected it, followed by a single ring (I don't recall whether it went on until answered or rang then stopped). On ending the call, it was cleared down by pressing a button on the concentrator; there was then a brief buzz caused by the uniselectors clearing down very rapidly to their normal state.
Are you sure they were uniselectors rather than standard Strowger selectors? Uniselectors just spun, so wouldn't need to reset afterwards. Selectors would need to return to the start position after the call.

Have to admit I'm not sure... I know uniselectors got used quite a bit in railway telecom-type kit (the SR magazine-type train describers used them for sure and the sound was quite similar, which may be why I thought they were used in SPT concentrators).

Ringing phone confusion 31/01/2014 at 11:13 #54696
Forest Pines
525 posts
Two-motion selectors do have a distinctly different sound if you're attuned to it, because the noise comes in two bursts, one for each direction of motion, with different tones. If you're a selector expert you can identify some specific types of selector from the sound, particularly the release sound (some will "spring back" the way they came, some will drive the horizontal mechanism to the end of the level before springing back)
Ringing phone confusion 31/01/2014 at 12:17 #54702
maxand
1637 posts
This is all very interesting, but we are now in the 21st century and expect phones to ring only when there is a call waiting to be answered; in fact, I've now disabled the ring sound for this reason. So may I request again that this feature be brought into line with present day expectations? Thanks.
Ringing phone confusion 31/01/2014 at 13:40 #54711
jc92
3629 posts
" said:
This is all very interesting, but we are now in the 21st century and expect phones to ring only when there is a call waiting to be answered; in fact, I've now disabled the ring sound for this reason. So may I request again that this feature be brought into line with present day expectations? Thanks.
slightly disrespectful response... but moving on, are they everyones expectations or yours? as keith has pointed out the concentrator at Euston produced a similar result. Euston has been closed for around 13 years so why would a simulation of it reflect present day expectations? you can still buy a phone with a dialler that produces a single ring. I know becuase my Nan bought one brand new last month.

I side with your opinion having noted this issue previously, and its why I dont now use a telephone sound file, but I find your tone in this and several other recent posts very poor.

"We don't stop camborne wednesdays"
The following users said thank you: John, Airvan00, MikeW, Prof Jolly, BarryM