Worst TCF's

You are here: Home > Forum > General > General questions, comments, and issues > Worst TCF's

Page 1 of 1

Worst TCF's 21/04/2014 at 09:25 #59191
flyingpigs123456
36 posts
Where would people say are the worst place to get a TCF
Worst TCF's 21/04/2014 at 09:35 #59193
kaiwhara
584 posts
As a driver, between the last signal and the means of getting home.

Seriously though, what kind of answer are you after? This is a very broad question...

Sorry guys, I am in the business of making people wait!
Worst TCF's 21/04/2014 at 09:56 #59194
Jsun
212 posts
The simple answer is across a junction with the points frozen for a useless branch.
Worst TCF's 21/04/2014 at 10:01 #59195
SPADmad
104 posts
I remember in one multiplayer game I was on Kings Cross panel and there was a TCF that blocked Platforms 1-6 during rush-hour. That was pretty bad
The following user said thank you: bnsf734
Worst TCF's 21/04/2014 at 11:32 #59199
tbh183
24 posts
Learning Panel 2 at London Bridge. Borough Market Junction from the Up Cannon Street Reversible to the Up Cannon Street thorough a critical set of moveable angles at 0730 hrs on a Monday Morning. Coupled with a 4-car gapped train out of Platform 3 onto the Down Cannon Street - rescued by a 10 Car and being pushed back into the Platform (14 coaches in a 12 car platform). Ultimately ending up at 1100 hrs with 16 carriages in another 12 car platform after two further trains split in the platform and left bits behind PLUS the 10 car rescue train from earlier in the shift. Gave up at that point and handed back to the Panel Man before spending the next hour writing it all up in the Occurrence Book. Most frantic shift of my signalling career but the most memorable. Learnt one very important lesson on that morning - use ALL reminder appliances available to you. It might just save you from dropping a bollock!

Dave

Worst TCF's 21/04/2014 at 16:42 #59226
Muzer
718 posts
I have a game at Euston right now and some horrific TCFs have put me off playing for a bit. One is on the down departure line with a route blocking the down fast (the overlap can't be swung because the TCF is so close to the points). The other is hard to describe, but it's blocking all access to platforms 12-18 from the up lines and access from all platforms to the down slow. The down fast is still accessible from platforms 5 to 18 but of course is blocked later on! To make matters worse, the up slow is blocked because I have a loco on it waiting to couple to the sleeper on platform 15 (and some trains that I routed behind it before I quite realised the predicament).

TL;DR: two track circuit failures blocking almost all departures in Euston (a few are possible by talking past a signal at danger), arrivals to many of the platforms and, secondarily, the up slow.

TCFs blocking branch line junctions are bad, but at least you can just give up at that stage because there really is nothing you can do. Somewhere like here, it's possible to do something, which makes it harder

Worst TCF's 21/04/2014 at 18:30 #59237
wellgroomed
109 posts
" said:
Where would people say are the worst place to get a TCF
Difficult to specify a location without considering the time of day and level of traffic too. Critical junctions are always a bad place to get a Track Circuit Failure, especially if they are holding a set of points in one direction. The failure of a track circuit in a siding, less so.

Speaking personally, two of the most disruptive failures I've worked on have been the failure of ME AS on the Down Main line at the station throat of Marylebone during the evening peak and the complete failure of points ME813 (i.e. no normal/no reverse detection) at the same location in the morning peak.

Worst TCF's 08/02/2016 at 16:04 #80467
Jos
1 posts
One day, i was playing rugby... and then i happened to get a TCF here...
Post has attachments. Log in to view them.
Worst TCF's 08/02/2016 at 18:36 #80472
arabianights
138 posts
" said:
what kind of answer are you after?
I can't speak for the OP, but I am after answers set to the tune of "I am the very model of a modern major general".

Last edited: 08/02/2016 at 18:37 by arabianights
Worst TCF's 09/02/2016 at 09:42 #80493
kbarber
1712 posts
" said:
" said:
what kind of answer are you after?
I can't speak for the OP, but I am after answers set to the tune of "I am the very model of a modern major general".

In this kind of situation I'd prefer "As one day it may happen that a victim must be found"

Worst TCF's 09/02/2016 at 12:51 #80498
postal
5190 posts
" said:
One day, i was playing rugby...
League or Union?

“In life, there is always someone out there, who won’t like you, for whatever reason, don’t let the insecurities in their lives affect yours.” – Rashida Rowe
The following user said thank you: TimTamToe
Worst TCF's 09/02/2016 at 13:09 #80499
jc92
3629 posts
Probably Euston Throat which pretty much writes the station off completely.

John I'm fairly sure with the way this governments going we'll be stuck with league. They dont like Unions.

"We don't stop camborne wednesdays"
Worst TCF's 09/02/2016 at 13:49 #80500
clive
2738 posts
At one meet we were playing Cambridge. I forget whether it was a TCF or a points failure, but we ended up with the crossover at Ely North Junction locked in the reverse position. That meant:

* Up Line between the station and North Jn inaccessible, so everything on the Down Line.
* Down Peterborough traffic had to run on to the KL or Norwich lines and then reverse to run around the Ely Loop.

Worst TCF's 14/02/2016 at 01:06 #80659
Hawk777
386 posts
I vaguely remember having a TCF lock a route across the left-hand entrance to almost every platform in Carlisle one time.
Worst TCF's 14/02/2016 at 21:46 #80685
Ianno
28 posts
SimSig: Peterborough, with a train out of the West Yard to the Down Slow leaving behind a TCf, locking up every track of the ECML north of Peterborough.

Real Life: I was a passenger on a Shrewsbury-Wolverhampton stopper one Sunday that left behind a TCF that locked Wolverhampton North Jn in the Shrewsbury direction only...

Worst TCF's 15/02/2016 at 10:46 #80690
--miki--
68 posts
" said:
I vaguely remember having a TCF lock a route across the left-hand entrance to almost every platform in Carlisle one time.

I had a similar TCF in multiplayer, blocking all platforms. The host cleared it immediately with F11, because it made the game unplayable.

Worst TCF's 16/02/2016 at 21:34 #80714
valenta43002
43 posts
I had one on New Street on the down Derby right into the tunnel which locked the route onto platform 7. Which meant nothing could go in or out at that end of platforms 8-12 and I could on use platforms 5 or 6 for trains from five trains going towards proof house, this involved some interesting platforms changes to get around it. Also had to divert some trains to/from international via Aston to cut congestion on the stours
Worst TCF's 18/02/2016 at 18:16 #80759
Slash
76 posts
Was playing Brighton when the track failed to clear after the passage of a Preston Park to Hove train. It was kicking out time at Lovers Walk too, so it wasn't a case of leave the route set and talk past.
Worst TCF's 19/02/2016 at 06:48 #80773
Champs450007
96 posts
Playing multiplayer with a friend on East Croydon had a TCF across Windmill Bridge Junction and across the junction country side of South Croydon, needless to say it took us awhile to sort that mess out.
Worst TCF's 19/02/2016 at 22:44 #80782
HHeming
5 posts
That did take a good while to clear.
Worst TCF's 20/02/2016 at 09:42 #80788
5 posts
Not technically one but my current version of Westbury has a pretty atrocious combination. TCF between the station and Hawkeridge Junction meaning trains can only leave for Bradford Junction from P3. Sent a train in there that needs a join before leaving and a points failure at Westbury North Junction has prevented me getting it into Westbury, now I can only get trains to/from Woodborough.

Then on the one train I could get out a TCF just occurred at Fairwood Junction so nothing can go round the avoider now or get into P1/2 at Westbury from Fairwood Junction.

I'm not sure I have a train I can move!