Upcoming Games

No games to display

Full list
Add a game

Upcoming Events

No events to display

Who's Online

uboat, Cheapside, RailwayFan8, DriverCurran, GeoffM, kaiwhara (6 users seen recently)

Point Normalisation Alarms (was Remember to check points before authorising a train past danger)

You are here: Home > Forum > Miscellaneous > The real thing (signalling) > Point Normalisation Alarms (was Remember to check points before authorising a train past danger)

Page 1 of 1

Point Normalisation Alarms (was Remember to check points before authorising a train past danger) 03/07/2013 at 23:04 #46383
Nutter
78 posts
Just a quick one. John, did you find out what the "points normalisation alarm" was. I find I don't loose any points for it and it can be overcome by locking the points prior to the route being set, or is that what your supposed to do? (I normally just let the route setting take care of the points)
Point Normalisation Alarms (was Remember to check points before authorising a train past danger) 03/07/2013 at 23:10 #46384
GeoffM
6282 posts
" said:
Just a quick one. John, did you find out what the "points normalisation alarm" was. I find I don't loose any points for it and it can be overcome by locking the points prior to the route being set, or is that what your supposed to do? (I normally just let the route setting take care of the points)
You don't lose any points for not doing it but it is a reminder that you should normalise the points. Locking them reverse manually is like taping over the engine warning light in your car . Yes it's more work but also more realistic. It's to trap any trains running away from sidings, yards, etc.

SimSig Boss
The following user said thank you: Nutter
Point Normalisation Alarms (was Remember to check points before authorising a train past danger) 03/07/2013 at 23:37 #46386
flabberdacks
579 posts
I've found it sometimes difficult to tell exactly where I should be clicking to normalise the points on Brighton, which is a little frustrating. I suppose it'll come with experience.

I did find it a little strange that the points would not just self-normalise a few seconds after the route drops and the track is unoccupied (unnecessary work for the signaller), but if that's the way it is then I will deal with it!

Point Normalisation Alarms (was Remember to check points before authorising a train past danger) 04/07/2013 at 01:20 #46389
Nutter
78 posts
Ok. So its just a way of reminding you to set the points back to normal to act as trap points. Got you, thought it might have been a developer message that had sliped through r something. Thanks for the amazing sims again Geoff
Point Normalisation Alarms (was Remember to check points before authorising a train past danger) 04/07/2013 at 02:11 #46390
GeoffM
6282 posts
" said:
Ok. So its just a way of reminding you to set the points back to normal to act as trap points. Got you, thought it might have been a developer message that had sliped through r something. Thanks for the amazing sims again Geoff
We don't always remember to add new items to the manual but thanks to your (perhaps unintentional!) prompt I have now added it to the Glossary. And auto normalising points which has never been in there, surprisingly.

SimSig Boss