Upcoming Games

Upcoming Events

No events to display

Who's Online

TUT, BenWright, d233 (3 users seen recently)

Great Cockcrow miniature railway simulations

You are here: Home > Forum > Miscellaneous > Open mic (non-railway) > Great Cockcrow miniature railway simulations

Page 1 of 1

Great Cockcrow miniature railway simulations 27/07/2015 at 19:05 #74528
Jan
889 posts
Just stumbled across this by chance:
It looks like somebody wrote simulations for the three signalboxes on the Great Cockcrow miniature railway.

Two million people attempt to use Birmingham's magnificent rail network every year, with just over a million of them managing to get further than Smethwick.
Last edited: 28/07/2015 at 00:22 by Jan
Reason: fixed misspelling

Great Cockcrow miniature railway simulations 27/07/2015 at 19:16 #74529
AndyG
1834 posts
All created by David Grant, member of the signalling team on the GCR.
I can only help one person a day. Today's not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look too good either.
Last edited: 28/07/2015 at 07:51 by AndyG
Reason: title spelling

Great Cockrow miniature railway simulations 27/07/2015 at 20:15 #74531
GW43125
495 posts
" said:
All created by David Grant, member of the signalling team on the GCR.
They are brilliant simulations, very accurate representations of the boxes.
Also, I just wish to point out it's the Great Cockcrow Railway (As I'm a volunteer, it annoys me when it's misspelled-sorry!)

Great Cockrow miniature railway simulations 28/07/2015 at 00:24 #74539
Jan
889 posts
:blush: Fixed the spelling.
Two million people attempt to use Birmingham's magnificent rail network every year, with just over a million of them managing to get further than Smethwick.
Great Cockcrow miniature railway simulations 28/07/2015 at 06:21 #74542
WDAGRANT
18 posts
The real thing is more fun. I know its a miniature railway, but the protocols are as full size and it is busy; perhaps 40 trains in 4 hours from the terminus, each with associated light engine moves. Each train passes the central box twice or three times on conflicting paths.

Waiting for a timer to run after a misroute is more challenging when you have upset a real driver, who can be less polite on the SPT than those in SimSig

There is a contact on the website if you would like to visit.

David Grant

The following users said thank you: AndyG, NCC1701
Great Cockcrow miniature railway simulations 28/07/2015 at 07:38 #74544
GW43125
495 posts
" said:
The real thing is more fun. I know its a miniature railway, but the protocols are as full size and it is busy; perhaps 40 trains in 4 hours from the terminus, each with associated light engine moves. Each train passes the central box twice or three times on conflicting paths.

Waiting for a timer to run after a misroute is more challenging when you have upset a real driver, who can be less polite on the SPT than those in SimSig

David Grant
I swear the 30 seconds after you put back with a driver standing at the signal are the longest 30 seconds of your life.

Great Cockcrow miniature railway simulations 28/07/2015 at 09:20 #74545
Jan
889 posts
" said:
The real thing is more fun. [...]

I can imagine that, and I'd love to visit it. Unfortunately Chertsey is a bit far for a day trip :silly:, but I'll keep it in mind for my next trip to the UK, whenever that may be.

Great Cockcrow miniature railway simulations 28/07/2015 at 09:47 #74546
TimTamToe
655 posts
Ohhh I remember going here as a kid with my godparents but could never remember where it was until I saw one of the pics on the site

That fills in one of the black holes in my head ;)

Gareth

Great Cockcrow miniature railway simulations 28/07/2015 at 12:40 #74548
NCC1701
129 posts
Those sims aren't the easiest to play, unfortunately. They'd make a nice SimSig though! :whistle:
Signalman Exeter West & Llangollen
Great Cockcrow miniature railway simulations 28/07/2015 at 13:17 #74549
Steamer
3922 posts
There's a similar simulation of Spinney Box on the Spinney Light Railway, which appears to have been written by the same person.
"Don't stress/ relax/ let life roll off your backs./ Except for death and paying taxes/ everything in life.../ is only for now." (Avenue Q)
Great Cockcrow miniature railway simulations 28/07/2015 at 15:27 #74552
AndyG
1834 posts
" said:
There's a similar simulation of Spinney Box on the Spinney Light Railway, which appears to have been written by the same person.
I think David G probably did so too, as he's also a regular there.

I can only help one person a day. Today's not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look too good either.
Last edited: 29/07/2015 at 12:53 by AndyG
Reason: typo

Great Cockcrow miniature railway simulations 29/07/2015 at 12:39 #74574
GW43125
495 posts
" said:
Those sims aren't the easiest to play, unfortunately. They'd make a nice SimSig though! :whistle:
They're not that difficult once you know what you're doing, actually.

I've also been making a SimSig-type layout for the GCR in notepad.

I've done the Hardwick and Cockcrow Hill areas but I haven't made Everglades Jn yet.

Great Cockcrow miniature railway simulations 29/07/2015 at 12:49 #74576
RainbowNines
272 posts
I've had a crack at all of them now. Fascinating stuff. The help program (built in Windows Help) isn't a permanent fixture on Windows 7 so it's been frustrating to learn.

I've got the hang of the terminus now - I send out 5 trains and I only summon the goods right at the end. The horror of being belled ahead of an incoming train when all four platforms are occupied is quite frustrating! I don't know if the five trains is prototypical, of course... Just found it the best way to get a good score.

Great Cockcrow miniature railway simulations 29/07/2015 at 13:30 #74577
Steamer
3922 posts
" said:
I've had a crack at all of them now. Fascinating stuff. The help program (built in Windows Help) isn't a permanent fixture on Windows 7 so it's been frustrating to learn.

I've got the hang of the terminus now - I send out 5 trains and I only summon the goods right at the end. The horror of being belled ahead of an incoming train when all four platforms are occupied is quite frustrating! I don't know if the five trains is prototypical, of course... Just found it the best way to get a good score.
You can download Windows Help here.

Having read the Help pages, I don't think the number of trains you have in the simulation affects the score.

"Don't stress/ relax/ let life roll off your backs./ Except for death and paying taxes/ everything in life.../ is only for now." (Avenue Q)
Great Cockcrow miniature railway simulations 29/07/2015 at 13:45 #74578
Sacro
1171 posts
That's only for Windows 7.

Help for Windows 8.1

Not sure about Windows 10

Last edited: 29/07/2015 at 13:47 by Sacro
Great Cockcrow miniature railway simulations 29/07/2015 at 13:46 #74579
Sacro
1171 posts
" said:

You can download Windows Help here..
That's only for Windows 7

There's also Help for Windows 8.1

Not sure what you need on Windows 10.

Great Cockcrow miniature railway simulations 29/07/2015 at 18:03 #74580
GW43125
495 posts
" said:

Normally, there will be anywhere from three to five sets out, depending on how busy it is.

I would, however, only advise using three in the game.

In real life, a train takes approximately 20 minutes to return after leaving, so it is easier to run.

Last edited: 29/07/2015 at 20:52 by GW43125
The following user said thank you: RainbowNines
Great Cockcrow miniature railway simulations 29/07/2015 at 19:35 #74585
RainbowNines
272 posts
Thanks - made it through with 5 without any errors but will bear that in mind.

Certainly makes me want to visit!

Great Cockcrow miniature railway simulations 29/07/2015 at 21:11 #74587
Steamer
3922 posts
" said:

In real life, a train takes approximately 20 minutes to return after leaving, so it is easier to run.
How much would you say the compression is in the simulation? For example, roughly how long would it take a train leaving Hardwick to pass signal 52 in reality?

Great Cockcrow miniature railway simulations 29/07/2015 at 22:23 #74589
GW43125
495 posts
" said:
" said:

How much would you say the compression is in the simulation? For example, roughly how long would it take a train leaving Hardwick to pass signal 52 in reality?
In real life, when I'm working Lester's Crossing, just beyond sig 52, the train usually arrives roughly a minute (usually just under) after leaving Hardwick.

It's then about 15 seconds to 51 signal.

Last edited: 29/07/2015 at 22:26 by GW43125
The following user said thank you: Steamer
Great Cockcrow miniature railway simulations 06/08/2015 at 13:54 #74817
GW43125
495 posts
Sorry to bump this thread,
I have been drawing up a track diagram in SimSig layout for the Great Cockcrow Railway. If anyone is interested, I may post them. The track layout is done, as well as all the signals added, however things such as track circuiting and the train describer are yet to be added.

Great Cockcrow miniature railway simulations 06/08/2015 at 15:04 #74820
clive
2738 posts
" said:
Can someone contact the author and see if they're willing to provide the actual interlocking and scheme data? With that, it's a possibility. Without it, it's just a dream.

Great Cockcrow miniature railway simulations 06/08/2015 at 18:01 #74826
GW43125
495 posts
" said:
" said:
Can someone contact the author and see if they're willing to provide the actual interlocking and scheme data? With that, it's a possibility. Without it, it's just a dream.
I'm there next Wednesday, so I'll ask him then if he shows. I've got pictures of the diagram for one of the boxes if you'd like them.

EDIT: Anyway, here is the WIP text file. Track circuiting and train describer are not yet completed, but track, signalling, etc is.

Post has attachments. Log in to view them.
Last edited: 06/08/2015 at 18:06 by GW43125
Great Cockcrow miniature railway simulations 06/08/2015 at 18:03 #74827
GW43125
495 posts
Anyway, here is the WIP text file. Track circuiting and train describer are not yet completed, but track, signalling, etc is.
Post has attachments. Log in to view them.
Last edited: 06/08/2015 at 18:04 by GW43125