Upcoming Games

No games to display

Full list
Add a game

Upcoming Events

No events to display

Who's Online

i26, DriverCurran, uboat, Cheapside, RailwayFan8, GeoffM (6 users seen recently)

Up trains becoming a Down without reversing

You are here: Home > Forum > Miscellaneous > The real thing (anything else rail-oriented) > Up trains becoming a Down without reversing

Page 1 of 1

Up trains becoming a Down without reversing 26/07/2015 at 15:05 #74483
BoxBoyKit
166 posts
" said:
" said:
I see that Westbury-Salisbury is Down.

So trains from Cardiff to Portsmouth travel down from Westbury to Salisbury, up from Salisbury to Southampton/St Denys and down from St Denys to Portsmouth.

You also have the ex LSWR main line Waterloo to Barnstaple going down through Exeter St Davids in the opposite direction to the GWR down from Bristol to Penzance.
If you start from Cardiff you go on the Up Main as far as Severn Tunnel Jn, Up Tunnel to Patchway, Down Bristol to Filton Jn, Down Filton to Dr Days Jn, Down Filton Main or Relief into Temple Meads where you reverse. Then back out on the Up Main to Bathampton Jn, Up Trowbridge to Westbury and then the Down Salisbury to Salisbury. The train "changes" direction a lot from up to down, but only actually reverses once at Bristol TM.

Also you get name changes between TCB and AB areas. For example the Up & Down Hereford lines go from Newport to Little Mill Jn, and are then labelled as Up & Down Main in the manual boxes from Abergavenny up to Hereford.
Based on this discussion, thought it could be an interesting discussion (for those that find this kind of thing interesting anyway!) about similar journeys... So my question is this.

Which regular train (passenger and/or freight) has the most number of direction changes without reversing? Or anything like that.

Up trains becoming a Down without reversing 26/07/2015 at 17:06 #74486
LucasLCC
94 posts
How many times does FGW's Portsmouth to Cardiff service change direction? As that could be a good contender..
Up trains becoming a Down without reversing 26/07/2015 at 17:07 #74487
headshot119
4869 posts
A Chester - Cardiff service will do

Down leaving Chester - Saltney Junction
Up Saltney Junction - Shrewsbury
Down Shrewsbury - Cardiff Central

Without reversing.

"Passengers for New Lane, should be seated in the rear coach of the train " - Opinions are my own and not those of my employer
Last edited: 26/07/2015 at 17:15 by headshot119
Up trains becoming a Down without reversing 26/07/2015 at 17:11 #74489
KymriskaDraken
963 posts
" said:
A Chester - Cardiff service will do

Down leaving Chester - Saltney Junction
Up Saltney Junction - Shrewsbury
Down Shrewsbury - Maindee West
Up Maindee West - Cardiff Central

All without reversing!
Er, Maindee to Cardiff is Down not Up!

Up trains becoming a Down without reversing 26/07/2015 at 17:16 #74491
headshot119
4869 posts
Indeed, I was thinking of the one in a morning which goes round to Maindee East and reverses to get to Cardiff Central. Post suitably amended!
"Passengers for New Lane, should be seated in the rear coach of the train " - Opinions are my own and not those of my employer
Up trains becoming a Down without reversing 26/07/2015 at 19:29 #74496
clive
2738 posts
There used to be a Norwich to Birmingham service omitting Ely, which would be:

Up: Norwich to Ely North Junction
Down: Ely North Junction to Syston S Junction
Up: Syston S Junction to Wigston N Junction
Down: Wigston N Junction to Birmingham New Street

(It might have been the one coming the other way that omitted Ely, but the principle is the same.)

Up trains becoming a Down without reversing 26/07/2015 at 19:50 #74497
Tempest Malice
122 posts
The best example I could pull off the top of my head is the transpennine south route from Cleethorpes to Manchester:

Down: Cleethorpes to Marshgate junction
Up: Marshgate junction to South Yorkshire junction (either end of Doncaster station)
Down: South Yorkshire junction to Swinton junction
Up: Swinton junction to Dore Station junction
Down: Dore Station junction to Manchester Picadilly
The train then goes back to Manchester airport, but that's an actual reversal, not just a direction change.

It's the switching between grand central up to Cleethorpes mileages and other railways's up to London ones which causes all the switching.

Up trains becoming a Down without reversing 27/07/2015 at 03:55 #74500
John
884 posts
A 2Oxx Thameslink Wimbledon Loop service will be Up line from Luton to Farringdon, then Down line from Farringdon to Sutton, then Up line from West Sutton to Farringdon, then Down line from Farringdon to Luton.
Up trains becoming a Down without reversing 27/07/2015 at 10:26 #74506
Mattyq
259 posts
With the exception of Queensland and Northern Territory, most lines in Australia tend to be Up direction towards the state capital. When a train crosses a state border between NSW, SA or Victoria, it changes from a Down train to an Up train at the border. For historically operational reasons, this does not occur when crossing into QLD, NT or WA.

As such, an 'SP' freighter from Sydney to Perth via the Blue Mtns (EG: 6SP6) would be:-

Up: Chullora Yard - Chullora Nth Jn (Approx 2km)
Dn: Chullora Nth Jn - Lidcombe - Broken Hill (NSW/SA border) (1115km)
Up: Broken Hill - Crystal Brook (junction of the line to Adelaide) (396km)
Dn: Crystal Brook - SA/WA border - Parkeston (1780km)
Up: Parkeston - Midlands (640km)
Dn: Midlands - Forrestfield Yard (7km)

For interest sake, total trip = approx 3940km (2448mi).

Not fat ..... fluffy!! (G Iglesias)