Upcoming Games

No games to display

Full list
Add a game

Upcoming Events

No events to display

Hints & tips

You are here: Home > Forum > General > General questions, comments, and issues > Hints & tips

Page 1 of 3

Hints & tips 30/03/2014 at 15:37 #58023
welshdragon
315 posts
Having been a SimSignaller for a few years, I thought it might be a good idea to give some handy tips:

• Interposing times in the opposite berth to a train headcode is a useful reminder for later, just don't do it when you're in multiplayer on a fringe to another panel

• Use your scroll wheel/trackpad's scrolling feature to have much finer control over the speed setting in F3

• Do use the F8 Simplifier in conjunction with the train list

Do you have any tips you want to share?

The following user said thank you: larsht
Hints & tips 30/03/2014 at 16:52 #58026
TimTamToe
656 posts
" said:

Do you have any tips you want to share?
Scan the area you are controlling from left to right rather than jumping from one part to another. Being methodical will have a better flow to your thoughts to, so as to plan ahead accordingly, and less likely to have the FATS (Forgot About Train Syndrome) which can occur while jumping around.

In non ACI sims or locations, where a train changes headcode, interpose the next working as it arrives at the station so you don't forget and end up with xxxx when it departs.

Gareth

Hints & tips 30/03/2014 at 17:17 #58027
delticfan
476 posts
First thing I do when starting a session is to ensure the TT is listed in time order of arrivals/departures and I usually choose to hide entered trains, and I make sure I interpose the next working on arrival.
Mal.

Hints & tips 30/03/2014 at 17:46 #58029
Temple Meads
307 posts
Large simulations are more manageable in single player mode if you know the area in real-life, so for your first foray into this area start with a local one if you can. It helps with large areas that you don't know to read the wiki and browse the the timetable and simulation before playing. That way you're less likely to get frustrated or just give up. (Been there, done that!)
Username TIM in multiplayer
Hints & tips 30/03/2014 at 18:01 #58030
ZephyrLuke
9 posts
I've been playing SimSig for a while, but not posted on the forums much. My tips would be to get stuck into the forums - a lot of people on here are actually nice people who will help you if you ask!

On single player I like using sticky notes for departure times and the line/direction the train will go as opposed to interposing the times into the opposite berth - personal preference I guess.

Reading the Wiki for specific simulations help more than anything, and going on Mulitplayer can help you learn a lot - I learnt a lot the other day on a simulation hosted on the Exeter sim - one I'd never played before.

Hopefully these are of help to anyone!

Hints & tips 30/03/2014 at 18:06 #58032
panpantom
12 posts
WELSHDRAGON in multiplayer mode I try always to start each communication with the ID of the recipient. Also I acknowledge a message from another player in a way that demonstrates that I understand the content.
Hints & tips 30/03/2014 at 18:23 #58033
Forest Pines
525 posts
If you've got lots of trains in the area, use the overview hover feature.
Hints & tips 30/03/2014 at 18:26 #58034
Temple Meads
307 posts
On the subject of multiplayer it can get stressful at times, particularly when failures occur, or someone makes a mistake, but try to remember that things go wrong in real life too, and see sorting out any disruption caused as part of the fun.
Username TIM in multiplayer
Hints & tips 30/03/2014 at 19:52 #58039
robert
18 posts
No doubt Max will have plenty to say on the subject lol
Hints & tips 30/03/2014 at 20:27 #58041
postal
5190 posts
" said:
No doubt Max will have plenty to say on the subject lol
Adding the Max Factor to the make-up of a thread

[/coat]

“In life, there is always someone out there, who won’t like you, for whatever reason, don’t let the insecurities in their lives affect yours.” – Rashida Rowe
Hints & tips 30/03/2014 at 21:16 #58044
robert
18 posts
" said:
[quote="robert" post=58039]No doubt Max will have plenty to say on the subject lol
Adding the Max Factor to the make-up of a thread

Excellent, will it be a compact reply?

Hints & tips 30/03/2014 at 21:16 #58045
robert
18 posts
Will it be a compact reply?
Last edited: 30/03/2014 at 21:17 by robert
Hints & tips 30/03/2014 at 23:13 #58051
MrBitsy
121 posts
AUTO BUTTONS!

In an area like West Hampstead use your auto buttons. Put all auto buttons in as soon as you can. Scan your traffic one junction at a time and take your auto buttons out when appropriate. You need to be set up several moves ahead so when your attention is taken away from the traffic you don't miss something.

For example at West Hampstead panel 3. Get Radlett Junction set up. Check what is approaching on the down fast/slow and set auto buttons as required (you should be looking as far as Carlton Road to see what's coming). Late FCC on the down fast with an East Midlands behind? Pull it in slow at Radlett. Scan up fast towards St.Albans/Harpenden and set your auto buttons as required. Move on to St.Albans and check for terminators/trains out the sidings. Move on to Harpenden, checking the down fast/slow then the up lines. Late East Midlands on the up approaching Harpenden? Extend any FCC that should go fast at Harpenden to Radlett and put fast behind the late Midland. Late FCC that should be fast beyond Luton on the down fast? Pull them in slow at Harpenden if late so you don't delay a Midland. Lastly check Luton area for terminators and departures - set those auto buttons as required!

You have got to use and manage those auto buttons if you are going to be successful at a busy location like West Hampstead. As I said in another thread, we are allowed three 3 minute delays a month, so if you do not manage your auto buttons, you will visit the office!

TVSC Link 4 signaller - Temple Meads, Bath & Stoke Gifford
The following users said thank you: postal, Temple Meads, CTCThiago, slatteryc
Hints & tips 31/03/2014 at 07:29 #58057
flabberdacks
579 posts
- Take on easier simulations first otherwise you will sink immediately. Do Royston until you're familiar with reading timetables and setting routes before moving onto a mid-size one. The old Southampton sim is really underrated for learners, there are plenty of ways for trains to come and go but they'll all move through a central area and it will teach you how to make decisions, replatforming, etc.

- Disable 'right click to cancel route', so that right-clicking on a signal will open a menu allowing you to quicky apply a block or change the train description in addition to returning it to stop. The right-click menu also shows the signal number and allows you to set an individual train to Non-ARS without disabling the whole ARS area.

- Like many have said, always scan your panels regularly. Even the best signallers in the world can become distracted by one end of their panel and block trains at the other. A good way to learn this is to never ever have your F2 train list open at any time, and only open it when you need to change a train's orders (change a platform etc). Also disable any message that would tell you a train is waiting at a signal. You'll soon learn to scan once those calls come piling in!

- Don't use your auto re-clear buttons through a diverging junction until you're familiar with the timetable. If you are in any doubt, have the whole junction at stop to avoid delays or a misroute.

- As soon as you become aware of a problem (train delayed, points failure etc), make sure you turn off any ARS for that area so that it doesn't make you look like a goose

- Try things! Start your sims at 00:00 and use the first trains through to test how bi-directional tracks work etc. Try to set every route you can think of. Look at a signal and try to figure out how many routes are possible for it. Learn every possible move, because you never know when you'll need it! When you get up to a sim like SwinDid there are stacks of ways to get around trouble if you know how to work it.

Hints & tips 31/03/2014 at 12:16 #58065
Danny252
1461 posts
" said:
- Try things! Start your sims at 00:00 and use the first trains through to test how bi-directional tracks work etc. Try to set every route you can think of. Look at a signal and try to figure out how many routes are possible for it. Learn every possible move, because you never know when you'll need it! When you get up to a sim like SwinDid there are stacks of ways to get around trouble if you know how to work it.
Half of my time spent first playing a Sim will be spent trying out things and working out what's best. For example, I spent 20 minutes last night trying to work out whether it was faster to turn a train fast line at Stafford No. 5, Stafford No. 4, or let it run slow line all the way to Whitehouse Junction! It's knowing all the niggles and things you can/can't do that make you able to properly signal trains.

(For reference, the timings were 4:37 Stafford #5, 4:15 Stafford #4, 5:05 Whitehouse Jn - so you can scrape back a minute by turning trains fast line just after Stafford)

Hints & tips 31/03/2014 at 14:09 #58073
pedroathome
887 posts
Another one which can help on some sims, if, lets say XYZ line is blocked, what, if any alternative roots are there.

Also when starting out on a new sim, I think its better for you to delay trains, thinking about what routes they need. Lets face it, these delays will decrease as you get used to:-
1) Simsig user interface (timetables etc)
2) you learn the box which you are simulating

James

Hints & tips 31/03/2014 at 16:09 #58077
slatteryc
248 posts
Have a procedure. I find right to left works great in a scrolly ( most modern sims ).

Right to left works good in KX for example , and Saltley.

Use the auto working but don't let it trap you; only detailed TT knowledge will really bring out the most here.

USE THE STICKIES... they add a huge boost to remembering what you have done.

Hints & tips 01/04/2014 at 11:04 #58130
maxand
1637 posts
As Isaac Newton observed in 1676, "If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants".

All tips posted earlier are valuable. Forest Pines wrote in post #7:
Quote:
If you've got lots of trains in the area, use the overview hover feature.

I'm not quite sure how helpful this really is. I wasn't aware that hovering did anything, but I now see that if your mouse cursor is over a train, its headcode and some details are displayed (after a short delay) both in the Overview window title and also in a tooltip. Unfortunately, the scale of the Overview window is so small that this can be rather tricky. However, the main advantage of the Overview window is that it enables you to jump to any part of the panel without having to remember to press numbers or Shift+letter keys, etc. Its disadvantage is that its width is proportional to the width of the sim, so if you are playing a really wide sim it overlaps the Messages box. There's no one answer. I find the size of the Overview window just right for Brighton on my screen.

I am indebted to Sacro who posted this great tip:
Quote:
Reduce (the number of steps needed to Interpose) to just one click, by right clicking on the signal, holding it down, then releasing it on the Interpose option.
This applies equally well to Cancel, and works when interposing or cancelling from signals or TD berths. Unfortunately (compared with a TD berth context menu), Interpose Train Description and Cancel Train Description occur right at the bottom of a signal's context menu, so it would be a great help if they were moved higher up, as I seem to be performing them much more often than the three options above them. But that's another story.

Incidentally, one can make a selection and close the context menu by R-click as well as L-click. This may help some who find it more intuitive to use the same mouse button to open the context menu and close it.

My worst experience is always playing a sim for the first time; there seems to be a trap lurking at every signal. Just when a route seems obvious and logical, there turns up a reason why it can't be set: interlocking prevents it, a subroute has already been set in the opposite direction, etc. So, set it up to Save every 10 minutes and, like many other computer games, don't hesitate to replay from an earlier save and learn from your mistakes.

The basics of playing SimSig for me involve knowing each train's TT and its current status. I check the Show Timetable window so often, there's no point in hiding it; simply move it down out of the way (many TTs are mercifully short) and if necessary, hide its bottom offscreen. Don't bother to close it; that's a waste of a keypress or click. Simply click on the next train's berth to overwrite it.

(Has anyone else considered whether it mightn't be a better idea to list a train's stops in inverse order in the Show Timetable window (or at least offer the option to do so)? If you have 20 trains all following the same timetable but changing headcode to a different service at the end of it, all one really needs to know is the headcode(s) of the new service(s), so keeping this at the top means you can sink the rest of the TT below the screen.)

On the other hand, the Train List is so large that you should close it unless you have a spare screen! When I start a session, I immediately Pause it, press F2 to open the Train List, narrow it to the Location column, position it in the middle, vertically, and usually to the left of the screen so as not to hide the Show Timetable window, then close it by pressing Esc rather than clicking the [X] icon (thanks GeoffM for that one). Assuming Esc is next to F1, use the L index finger to press F2 to open the Train List, and the L ring finger to close it by pressing Esc. If you just need to take a quick peek at the Train List and then return to the panel, get into the habit of closing the Train List before clicking on the panel, otherwise you waste another click refocusing on the Train List before you can close it. (Of course, it would be nice to be able to toggle the Train List on/off simply by pressing F2...)

That just leaves the F1 key which AFAIK does nothing in SimSig. What a great opportunity for macro developers.

Sticky notes are a great idea, but with some limitations. Their greatest advantage is that SimSig is smart enough to recognize headcodes in the text and convert them into underlined links, so you can see the TT by clicking them. I always keep one sticky somewhere in the middle of the sim for unusual headcodes so I can see the TT details without having to look them up in the Timetable List window (F4) or the Simplifier, which I hardly ever use (for now, anyway).

The disadvantages of Sticky notes are that 1) typing is slower than writing; 2) stickies must be cleared, which destroys their info, otherwise they accumulate - paper enables you to cross out and still keep the original data; 3) sticky notes stick to that part of the panel - we don't have sticky notes that float (maintain their position as you scroll), as with the other windows, so if you need one you have to use a workaround such as a text file in its own editor, that you can pop up. Better still, use a clipboard manager behind the scenes. You may find a combination of stickies and paper pad to be the best compromise.

Create a small number of sticky notes with white text on a red background (or any combination contrasting with the default black on yellow) containing the signal numbers of key signals (preceding junctions, entry from sidings, etc.). This helps you memorize them when looking down the Train List or when pesky drivers phone in.

Keep your browser open set to the sim manual, also a signal map in a PDF reader, but don't rely on signal maps for finding a train stranded at a place you've never heard of before. If you have the time and energy (which the sim manual writer should have done) create a list of locations, including level crossings, ordered alphabetically and linked to panel areas which can be accessed by pressing a number key or Shift+letter combination. Many text editors can sort a block of lines alphabetically.

When things get hectic and you know that 20 out of the 21 phone calls awaiting you will be from drivers reporting they are delayed at a red signal, press the A key to bring up each in turn, poise your mouse cursor over Wait 15 minutes for signal to clear before phoning back, then get rid of 'em in short order. Don't worry, this shouldn't cause you to overlook drivers reporting an ACOA, farmers inconveniently wanting to move sheep or shunters putting pressure on you to get stuff out of their yards.

Be wary about using automatic buttons, despite the advice given in earlier posts. It's better to allow one train through a signal positioned before a junction than to have some driver ringing up moaning that the wrong route was set. Not a bad idea to keep a list of your preferred automatic signals, or better, take a series of screenshots at the end of a timetable for when you replay the sim in three months.

(Speaking of automatic signals, I can't understand why we need an Automatic working option in a signal's context menu when it's so much easier and visually intuitive to click the blue roundel with the A, next to the signal, saving one step. Anyone else agree? +1 for efficiency.)

If your mouse has a middle button, set it to double-click to be able to use it on a signal to make it the exit signal for the preceding route and the entry signal for the next one, when this is applicable.

Make friends with the Pause button; remember, you don't have to solve idiotic problems in real time. It's amazing how much you can solve while Paused. I find it better to pause frequently (even to set routes) than to soldier on at half speed. Real signallers, eat yer hearts out. As I've always said, SimSig is a game. I've never received a paycheck from it.

Assign a sound to Messages > Level Crossing Clear so you can be doing something else while waiting for one to clear.

Try not to invoke unrealistic actions such as Remove Train or, like Procrustes, Adjust Length, except as a last resort. Instead, practise abandoning the timetable, reversing your train till the passengers throw up, then restoring the timetable, editing its departure time if it looks like going to sleep. Don't hesitate to throw points to force the train to go where you want it to. Don't let the Train List get the upper hand.

Finally, make sure you attach a rousing sound file to play each time SimSig takes a snapshot so you too can snap out of it. SimSig has disturbingly many things in common with poker machines.

Last edited: 01/04/2014 at 11:28 by maxand
Hints & tips 01/04/2014 at 13:03 #58137
y10g9
895 posts
" said:

That just leaves the F1 key which AFAIK does nothing in SimSig. What a great opportunity for macro developers.
F1 definately in the loader sims opens the wiki (aka the help manual. basically the same that happens in any other program on windows)

Quote:
The basics of playing SimSig for me involve knowing each train's TT and its current status. I check the Show Timetable window so often, there's no point in hiding it; simply move it down out of the way (many TTs are mercifully short) and if necessary, hide its bottom offscreen. Don't bother to close it; that's a waste of a keypress or click. Simply click on the next train's berth to overwrite it.{

that then takes up screen space, you complain about things taking up too much screen space here
Quote:
Train List is so large that you should close it unless you have a spare screen
Quote:
(Has anyone else considered whether it mightn't be a better idea to list a train's stops in inverse order in the Show Timetable window (or at least offer the option to do so)? If you have 20 trains all following the same timetable but changing headcode to a different service at the end of it, all one really needs to know is the headcode(s) of the new service(s), so keeping this at the top means you can sink the rest of the TT below the screen.)

well when you read anything you always read whats on top first. timetables are just the same, reading down the list gives the exact order. also the likely hood of having 20 trains all following the same timetable may not be correct. if you assume that then you'll miss the one that has a 5 min dwell time at a station or loop to allow a faster train past, or give you an incorrect platform allocation. Generally when reading a timetable you need to know the next couple locations. Thats why a running timetable only displays the next 10 or so locations rather than a scroll bar for the entire tt.

Quote:
Real signallers, eat yer hearts out. As I've always said, SimSig is a game. I've never received a paycheck from it.
I disagree and i think many others will aswell. SimSig, as it hints in its name is a Simulation of British train Signaling with all signal boxes being simulated with the basics of an IECC Signalling software. Its not a game. Train Simulator, Flight Simulator, ATC-Sim are all simulators. Simsig is the same.

Things i find useful, Keep a pad of paper to hand. Yes stickies are useful for noting certain info on, esp headcodes as can bring up the timetable. Pad of paper useful for jotting down headcode in a line for when they phone up due to a failure blocking them in. Pad of paper also for when yards phone for entry (or what you've requested for them) and also for when you have a train in loop for putting it back on time.
Read the maunal when you first download a sim. open the sim with the maunal with no timetable to try out features that are listed in the manual, it def helps me remember them.

Attach a sound file to the phone, TRTS, Level Crossing down, Train entering Area. These help draw attention to things that generally need identifying.

Join mutiplayer games. they are the best way to learn. Use these to ask questions (aswell as the forum). they also allow you to start off playing sims with just taking a small area to control first so you learn the ins and outs of the pannels. let the host know your new and most will be welcoming and be happy to provide help/tuition.

And finally don't be afraid to as for help

Last edited: 01/04/2014 at 13:04 by y10g9
Reason: fixing quote

Hints & tips 01/04/2014 at 13:45 #58142
TimTamToe
656 posts
" said:

Quote:
" said:

well when you read anything you always read whats on top first. timetables are just the same, reading down the list gives the exact order. also the likely hood of having 20 trains all following the same timetable may not be correct. if you assume that then you'll miss the one that has a 5 min dwell time at a station or loop to allow a faster train past, or give you an incorrect platform allocation. Generally when reading a timetable you need to know the next couple locations. Thats why a running timetable only displays the next 10 or so locations rather than a scroll bar for the entire tt.

Agreed you need to be very careful assuming that headcodes that vary just by a digit follow the same TT. There are many trains in the TT I'm writing that have similar headcodes but completely different dwell times, calling patterns and destinations.

Gareth

Last edited: 01/04/2014 at 13:46 by TimTamToe
Hints & tips 01/04/2014 at 15:23 #58150
Danny252
1461 posts
And there are in fact several trains with the same headcode that take different routes in some sims - I believe the West Midlands lot have a good few where trains several hours apart reuse headcodes.
Hints & tips 01/04/2014 at 15:35 #58151
jc92
3629 posts
" said:
And there are in fact several trains with the same headcode that take different routes in some sims - I believe the West Midlands lot have a good few where trains several hours apart reuse headcodes.
not to mention on heritage timetables where trains for the same general route sometimes use identical headcodes for the general route for all trains, however individual actions and timings can vary, along with the pathing and platform allocation!

"We don't stop camborne wednesdays"
Hints & tips 01/04/2014 at 15:38 #58152
headshot119
4869 posts
" said:
You'll also find on some of the West Midlands sims that trains with a similar head code go totally different ways.

For example today 1V61, and 1V62

1V61 left New Street and went out via Proofhouse before going round the camp hill lines and joining the route to Bristol at Kings Norton.

1V62 left New Street and went out via University.

Two trains within half an hour of each other, similar head codes, yet depart in opposite directions on New Street, and would enter in opposing directions on Saltley.

"Passengers for New Lane, should be seated in the rear coach of the train " - Opinions are my own and not those of my employer
Hints & tips 01/04/2014 at 16:06 #58155
Danny252
1461 posts
" said:
not to mention on heritage timetables where trains for the same general route sometimes use identical headcodes for the general route for all trains, however individual actions and timings can vary, along with the pathing and platform allocation!
Well, local class 2 trains at least, not "all trains" on the same route! But yes, those can really be amazingly broad, covering trains terminating anywhere between X and Y, starting from any origin.

Hints & tips 01/04/2014 at 16:14 #58156
Steamer
3922 posts
maxand said:
Definitely not. The information you need first is at the top, and since each location vanishes from the Show TT window after the train departs/passes the location, you generally need only read the first few lines. This means you can, if you wish, shrink the timetable vertically so only the first few lines are displayed.

If it was the other way round, it would be much harder to work out the train's route (we read from top to bottom), and having the times go from latest to earliest is confusing. And as others have said, the 'Similar headcode=same route' rule applies only to certain service patterns. There are patterns in the headcode allocation, but they're not always obvious at a glance.

My own piece of advice is: Don't follow everyone's advice! Keep and open mind, try things out, then pick out the bits that work for you. Developing your own 'style' will work much better in the long run than copying someone else's to the letter.

"Don't stress/ relax/ let life roll off your backs./ Except for death and paying taxes/ everything in life.../ is only for now." (Avenue Q)
The following user said thank you: Signalhunter