Entry to Hornsey EMU Depot – North end?

You are here: Home > Forum > Simulations > Released > King's Cross > Entry to Hornsey EMU Depot – North end?

Page 1 of 1

Entry to Hornsey EMU Depot – North end? 23/07/2017 at 15:51 #96567
bugsy
Avatar
424 posts
I’m playing the Autumn 2014 TT v1.0 (modern layout) and have got to just before 20.50.
There have been quite a few empty stock trains heading back to Hornsey EMU Depot from various more northerly locations and all are time-tabled to go via the Harringay Reverse Siding. I have played another sim in which trains can be routed into the depot via the Up-Carriage Line just south of Alexander Palace.
I note that although there is a grey exit triangle here, a route cannot be set to it. Also, the Up-Carriage Line isn’t in the timetable editor as an option.
Is there a particular reason why they aren’t allowed to be routed that way in this sim?

Just curious.

My goodness, that was difficult, but I managed it.
Log in to reply
Entry to Hornsey EMU Depot – North end? 23/07/2017 at 16:34 #96571
Steamer
Avatar
2937 posts
A route can be set onto the Up Carriage Line from 454 (Up Slow 1), but not 458 (Up Slow 2). The former has a subsidiary aspect, the latter doesn't.

Without testing, I would assume that when exiting at Hornsey EMU Depot Up Carriage Line, the "Hornsey EMU Depot" location is used.

"Don't stress/ relax/ let life roll off your backs./ Except for death and paying taxes/ everything in life.../ is only for now." (Avenue Q)
Log in to reply
Entry to Hornsey EMU Depot – North end? 23/07/2017 at 19:17 #96573
bugsy
Avatar
424 posts
Steamer in post 96571 said:
A route can be set onto the Up Carriage Line from 454 (Up Slow 1), but not 458 (Up Slow 2). The former has a subsidiary aspect, the latter doesn't.

Without testing, I would assume that when exiting at Hornsey EMU Depot Up Carriage Line, the "Hornsey EMU Depot" location is used.
I didn't try setting the route from 454 only 458 via which most of the trains arrive. The timetable editor does let you set the 'Hornsey EMU Depot' location and it validates ok. I'll give it a go and let you know what happens.

My goodness, that was difficult, but I managed it.
Log in to reply
Entry to Hornsey EMU Depot – North end? 23/07/2017 at 19:43 #96574
bugsy
Avatar
424 posts
Steamer.

It all worked quite nicely. I'll have to remember and set the route via 454 for all trains into the depot from that direction, unless of coarse there is a conflict at Alexander Palace platform 2. Saves going all the way to the Harringay Reverse Siding, which didn't seem necessary to me.

My goodness, that was difficult, but I managed it.
Log in to reply
Entry to Hornsey EMU Depot – North end? 23/07/2017 at 23:40 #96576
BarryM
Avatar
2066 posts
bugsy in post 96574 said:
Steamer.

It all worked quite nicely. I'll have to remember and set the route via 454 for all trains into the depot from that direction, unless of coarse there is a conflict at Alexander Palace platform 2. Saves going all the way to the Harringay Reverse Siding, which didn't seem necessary to me.
It is necessary? I'll think you will find that the empty stock go through the train-washing plant from the Harringay Reversing Sidings end.

Barry

Barry, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Log in to reply
Entry to Hornsey EMU Depot – North end? 24/07/2017 at 14:47 #96583
bugsy
Avatar
424 posts
BarryM in post 96576 said:
bugsy in post 96574 said:
Steamer.

It all worked quite nicely. I'll have to remember and set the route via 454 for all trains into the depot from that direction, unless of coarse there is a conflict at Alexander Palace platform 2. Saves going all the way to the Harringay Reverse Siding, which didn't seem necessary to me.
It is necessary? I'll think you will find that the empty stock go through the train-washing plant from the Harringay Reversing Sidings end.

Barry
Actually, in this particular game, all the empty stock that goes to the train-washing plant originates from Kings Cross, with the usual final destination being Bounds Green Depot via Bowes Park Reverse Siding. I think that it must vary according to which of the different scenarios you're running.

I was thinking of giving the Kings Cross 1955 (Steam) Summer TT a go next. Am I being a bit too ambitious, seeing as I'm going to be doing this on my own?

My goodness, that was difficult, but I managed it.
Log in to reply
Entry to Hornsey EMU Depot – North end? 24/07/2017 at 18:03 #96587
Steamer
Avatar
2937 posts
bugsy in post 96583 said:
Actually, in this particular game, all the empty stock that goes to the train-washing plant originates from Kings Cross, with the usual final destination being Bounds Green Depot via Bowes Park Reverse Siding. I think that it must vary according to which of the different scenarios you're running.
There's also a washer within Hornsey EMU depot. There's very little overlap between Hornsey and Ferme Park/Bounds Green; the former is used to service suburban EMU stock (currently Thameslink), the latter pair Inter-City stock (currently VTEC, Grand Central and Hull Trains).

Which end trains should enter depends on the operating practice within the depot. If trains are timetabled to reverse at Harringay and enter the south end, it's probably to make the depot itself flow more efficiently. Of course, if a failure would make that difficult, entering at the north end would be OK, but if the timetable shows it to enter at the south end, it should enter at the south end unless significant delay would result.

"Don't stress/ relax/ let life roll off your backs./ Except for death and paying taxes/ everything in life.../ is only for now." (Avenue Q)
Log in to reply
The following user said thank you: BarryM
Entry to Hornsey EMU Depot – North end? 24/07/2017 at 18:56 #96590
Danny252
Avatar
1447 posts
The main reason for not using the North end entrance to Hornsey EMUD is the fact it was physically removed in 2013! A new entrance was added around the same time adjacent to the exit from Bounds Green depot, though most services are still timetabled to use the South entrance.
Last edited: 24/07/2017 at 19:04 by Danny252
Reason: None given

Log in to reply
The following user said thank you: BarryM
Entry to Hornsey EMU Depot – North end? 24/07/2017 at 19:00 #96591
bugsy
Avatar
424 posts
Steamer in post 96587 said:


Which end trains should enter depends on the operating practice within the depot. If trains are timetabled to reverse at Harringay and enter the south end, it's probably to make the depot itself flow more efficiently. Of course, if a failure would make that difficult, entering at the north end would be OK, but if the timetable shows it to enter at the south end, it should enter at the south end unless significant delay would result.
Knowledge of operating practice is obviously an advantage here. I understand what you are saying and in future will follow the time-tabled routes.

Thanks for your input Steamer

My goodness, that was difficult, but I managed it.
Log in to reply