Upcoming Games

No games to display

Full list
Add a game

Upcoming Events

Who's Online

Crew Changes

You are here: Home > Forum > Simulations > Released > Exeter > Crew Changes

Page 1 of 1

Crew Change 6v80 Exeter Summer 5-day - early 1980s Version 1.0 13/07/2019 at 09:42 #119401
tjfrancis
Avatar
346 posts
Just had a crew change call saying that Crew for 6V80: Ok, crew for 6V80 will be ready to board at Exeter St Davids at around 09:00 but the Train in question will not be at Exeter st davids into 09:33 train is on time have i done something wrong i have attached a save and a screen shot
Post has attachments. Log in to view them.
I am dyslexic so please consider this when reading my posts
Last edited: 13/07/2019 at 09:43 by tjfrancis
Reason: None given

Log in to reply
Crew Changes 13/07/2019 at 10:01 #119402
jc92
Avatar
2625 posts
No the crew change option allows the writer to decide when the crew will arrive and be ready (which appears to also be affected by delays and failures). In this case the crew are arriving early for their train to be ready in good time.
Last edited: 13/07/2019 at 10:01 by jc92
Reason: None given

Log in to reply
Crew Changes 13/07/2019 at 11:26 #119404
Meld
Avatar
568 posts
Just imagine a message train crew ready 45 mins before arrival then train gets delayed by 60 mins - new message comes train crew out of hours gone passenger back to depot
Log in to reply
Crew Changes 13/07/2019 at 13:59 #119405
VInce
Avatar
396 posts
Used to happen all the time - I was a train crew controller in the old Nottingham Control and the best story I can remember was of York men, who used to travel out to work 6E21 1105 Bromsgrove - Port Clarence tanks from Derby.

It only had to be 10 mins late and they were off, back home passenger day in, day out, even if they were offered other work. It didn't used to be a problem operationally as we had Derby traincrew who travelled out to York on 1S27 at 1230 to bring one of the Lackenby - Etruria steel trains back. They invariably worked 6E21 out and were very willing to do so as it put them on a mileage bonus.

One fine day the the York men arrived and as usual declined to work their booked job and asked how 1S27 was running.

"Right time" came the honest reply from yours truly.

Shortly after that 1S27 failed in Burton station, 6E21 came around it on the goods lines, through P2 at Derby, got relieved by the Derby men and right away, with the the York men watching it all happen while they stood on P1. I remember they made a complaint which was the worst thing they could have done as the resulting enquiry revealed they had only worked their booked job on four occasions out the 40 previous days it had run. It also revealed that even if the train had been 30 mins late they would still have been well within hours.

They lost the job shortly after that.

Good times.

Vince

Last edited: 13/07/2019 at 16:29 by VInce
Reason: None given

Log in to reply
The following users said thank you: TUT, jc92, 58050
Crew Changes 14/07/2019 at 00:17 #119407
GeoffM
Avatar
4499 posts
tjfrancis in post 119401 said:
Just had a crew change call saying that Crew for 6V80: Ok, crew for 6V80 will be ready to board at Exeter St Davids at around 09:00 but the Train in question will not be at Exeter st davids into 09:33 train is on time have i done something wrong i have attached a save and a screen shot
The number 7 bus from their house only runs every half hour and the 09:30 is cutting it a bit fine.

SimSig Boss
Log in to reply
Crew Changes 14/07/2019 at 08:40 #119408
Trainfan344
Avatar
188 posts
GeoffM in post 119407 said:
tjfrancis in post 119401 said:
Just had a crew change call saying that Crew for 6V80: Ok, crew for 6V80 will be ready to board at Exeter St Davids at around 09:00 but the Train in question will not be at Exeter st davids into 09:33 train is on time have i done something wrong i have attached a save and a screen shot
The number 7 bus from their house only runs every half hour and the 09:30 is cutting it a bit fine.
But could they not get a train in from Newton Abbot?

Log in to reply
Crew Changes 14/07/2019 at 13:31 #119410
58050
Avatar
2350 posts
VInce in post 119405 said:
Used to happen all the time - I was a train crew controller in the old Nottingham Control and the best story I can remember was of York men, who used to travel out to work 6E21 1105 Bromsgrove - Port Clarence tanks from Derby.

It only had to be 10 mins late and they were off, back home passenger day in, day out, even if they were offered other work. It didn't used to be a problem operationally as we had Derby traincrew who travelled out to York on 1S27 at 1230 to bring one of the Lackenby - Etruria steel trains back. They invariably worked 6E21 out and were very willing to do so as it put them on a mileage bonus.

One fine day the the York men arrived and as usual declined to work their booked job and asked how 1S27 was running.

"Right time" came the honest reply from yours truly.

Shortly after that 1S27 failed in Burton station, 6E21 came around it on the goods lines, through P2 at Derby, got relieved by the Derby men and right away, with the the York men watching it all happen while they stood on P1. I remember they made a complaint which was the worst thing they could have done as the resulting enquiry revealed they had only worked their booked job on four occasions out the 40 previous days it had run. It also revealed that even if the train had been 30 mins late they would still have been well within hours.

They lost the job shortly after that.

Good times.

Vince
Some thing similar happened at Bedford during 1987/88 regarding weekend engineering trains on the Midland mainline. With the withdrawal of the Cl.45s from BR service pairs of Cl.20 locos working vacuum braked engineering trains south of Kettering became more & more frequent. The problem was that Bedford men were trained on them & as a result when they arrived on site to relieve Toton men they were unable to do so due to the lack of traction knowledge. This gave the LDC at Bedford cause to request traction training on Cl.20s which was duly agreed in view of the number of times this problem occured & would continue to occur. 20227 was brought to Bedford by 56007 for driver training. I know this as a secondman on the day the TCS at Bedford said 'If you go out & split the 2 locos I'll pay you for 12 hours'. So I went out to P1 & split 20227 from 56007. 20227 stayed at Bedford for several months & also became the Bedford pilot for ages in it's new railfreight grey livery. The spotter seemed quite happy as Cl.20s working south of Wellingborough was quite rare, but not any longer. In later years it was Bedford men who took the Cl.20s to the Southern Region for work on the HS1 into London. Had the Cl.20s not appeared more often on weekend engineering trains on the Midland mainline then Bedford men would have never learned them as there was no book work for Cl.20 south of Wellingborough. The odd occasions they were used was worked by Leicester, Toton or Derby men on out & back turns.

Log in to reply
The following user said thank you: TUT