Upcoming Games

Full list
Add a game

Upcoming Events

We are not planning any more in-person events until the COVID-19 situation has improved.

Manchester Piccadilly 1969 timetable released

You are here: Home > Forum > Simulations > Timetables > Manchester Piccadilly > Manchester Piccadilly 1969 timetable released

Page 1 of 1

Manchester Piccadilly 1969 timetable released 08/01/2020 at 16:27 #122799
whatlep
283 posts
Another timetable for the early days of Piccadilly, with even more trains and light engine movements than 1971. Released to mark 50 years since the closure of the Hayfield, Macclesfield (via Rose Hill) and Woodhead routes to passenger traffic on Jan 5th 1970, the timetable features all those services. It is based on the May-June 1969 weekday timetable and is a vivid remeinder of the steam-age operations still very much in evidence in the period. All main-line services are loco-hauled, platforms can be blocked by stock for hours at a time and shunting movements can jam the layout at rush-hours. Marvel too at Oxford Road, a very quiet place outside the morning and evening peaks, despite additional services transferred from Manchester Central.

The timetable can be handled by one person, with comfort outside peak hours, but in the peaks you are strongly recommended to reduce speed to no more than 1.5 times real time.

PLEASE - read the guidance in the General tab of the timetable before operating the simulation. You are likely to enter a world of pain if you don't! To help with understanding of the 1969 layout a couple of signalling plans are attached. Note the absence of the direct route from Longsight to the Eastern Lines and that the only place to route trains to/from platforms 6-12 and the Ashburys route is at Ardwick. Whether you keep to reality or "cheat" is up to your conscience!

I hope users enjoy the timetable. It's possible that a "summer Saturdays" version will emerge in due course.

Post has attachments. Log in to view them.
The following users said thank you: Phil-jmw, BarryM, ajax103, vloris, broodje
Manchester Piccadilly 1969 timetable released 22/01/2020 at 00:19 #122980
whatlep
283 posts
As suggested in my original post, a new, very different version for "Summer Saturdays" of July 1969 has been created and is now available for downloading.

It's very different to the weekday 1969 timetable. Fewer trains overall, but more throughout the day on the Liverpool and Chester routes, many more loco-hauled services in place of rush-hour locals and some truly difficult periods when Piccadilly is full to bursting.

I hope users will enjoy it!

The following users said thank you: Phil-jmw, BarryM, phil1044
Manchester Piccadilly 1969 timetable released 22/01/2020 at 00:37 #122982
Phil-jmw
556 posts
whatlep in post 122980 said:
As suggested in my original post, a new, very different version for "Summer Saturdays" of July 1969 has been created and is now available for downloading.

It's very different to the weekday 1969 timetable. Fewer trains overall, but more throughout the day on the Liverpool and Chester routes, many more loco-hauled services in place of rush-hour locals and some truly difficult periods when Piccadilly is full to bursting.

I hope users will enjoy it!
All of your heritage Manchester TT's have been excellent to run Peter, so I'll look forward to this one too.

The following user said thank you: whatlep
Manchester Piccadilly 1969 timetable released 23/01/2020 at 12:56 #122992
whatlep
283 posts
For users' information, V1.1 of the original weekday 1969 simulation is now available to download. Five new trains added: mostly for parcels services late in the evening that had somehow escaped my notice previously. Better still, they add a couple of shunting requirements and loco moves!

Other lesser changes concern minor schedule corrections for several EMU workings, though I doubt users will notice any difference, plus a correction to the last Hadfield working to ensure it runs rather than sitting for ever at Piccadilly.

All changes documented in the attached log file.

Post has attachments. Log in to view them.
Last edited: 23/01/2020 at 12:58 by whatlep
Reason: None given

The following user said thank you: Phil-jmw