Question from a noob.

You are here: Home > Forum > New to SimSig? > Newcomers > Question from a noob.

Page 1 of 1

Question from a noob. 17/02/2024 at 04:36 #155377
747Pilot
Avatar
4 posts
Hello, and thank you in advance for the help. So I'm from the US but have had an interest in trains from the UK for a long time now, with my favorites being the Class 390,465, and 325. I found out about SimSig awhile back after searching for train dispatching games but haven't played it much so still very much a noob. I have tried a few of the free layouts and most of the time I am just so confused and get overwhelmed by the trains, even though I have watched a few tutorial vids on YouTube, although I got decent on the free LUL line. One of the issues I have is that on some routes I will get a call from a train and I have no Idea where to find it. I will scroll around the map and look everywhere but will have trouble finding where it is.

So is there a way I can print a map of the route or an easy way to find where a certain train is?

Thanks

Log in to reply
Question from a noob. 17/02/2024 at 07:09 #155378
swiftaw
Avatar
265 posts
Under the Documentation section of this website you can find the signal number plan for every sim, it shows the numbers of all the signals, and you can print it.

Also, while playing the sim, you can bring up the train list that shows you all the trains currently in the sim and which panel they are on.

Log in to reply
Question from a noob. 17/02/2024 at 09:54 #155380
747Pilot
Avatar
4 posts
swiftaw in post 155378 said:
Under the Documentation section of this website you can find the signal number plan for every sim, it shows the numbers of all the signals, and you can print it.

Also, while playing the sim, you can bring up the train list that shows you all the trains currently in the sim and which panel they are on.
Thank you. I looked at the documentation page for a specific route and can see a thumbnail of the map but when I try to download the PDF from the link next to it then I just get a simple map route instead of a detailed diagram. Also, do you know of any easy routes to learn that have a car/pedestrian crossing in them which are free?

Thanks

Log in to reply
Question from a noob. 17/02/2024 at 11:00 #155384
Steamer
Avatar
3920 posts
Online
747Pilot in post 155380 said:
swiftaw in post 155378 said:
Under the Documentation section of this website you can find the signal number plan for every sim, it shows the numbers of all the signals, and you can print it.

Also, while playing the sim, you can bring up the train list that shows you all the trains currently in the sim and which panel they are on.
Thank you. I looked at the documentation page for a specific route and can see a thumbnail of the map but when I try to download the PDF from the link next to it then I just get a simple map route instead of a detailed diagram.

You might be looking at the wrong thing- there will be a Signal Number Plan towards the end of each manual. Also, you can find them all listed on this page.

Quote:
Also, do you know of any easy routes to learn that have a car/pedestrian crossing in them which are free?
North East Wales has a couple of controlled level crossings on it, that would probably be your best bet.

"Don't stress/ relax/ let life roll off your backs./ Except for death and paying taxes/ everything in life.../ is only for now." (Avenue Q)
Log in to reply
Question from a noob. 18/02/2024 at 00:36 #155394
747Pilot
Avatar
4 posts
Steamer in post 155384 said:
747Pilot in post 155380 said:
swiftaw in post 155378 said:
Under the Documentation section of this website you can find the signal number plan for every sim, it shows the numbers of all the signals, and you can print it.

Also, while playing the sim, you can bring up the train list that shows you all the trains currently in the sim and which panel they are on.
Thank you. I looked at the documentation page for a specific route and can see a thumbnail of the map but when I try to download the PDF from the link next to it then I just get a simple map route instead of a detailed diagram.

You might be looking at the wrong thing- there will be a Signal Number Plan towards the end of each manual. Also, you can find them all listed on this page.

Quote:
Also, do you know of any easy routes to learn that have a car/pedestrian crossing in them which are free?
North East Wales has a couple of controlled level crossings on it, that would probably be your best bet.
Thanks, those are exactly what I was looking for. Also, on the North east Wales route is there anything you actually have to do with the signals since they are controlled? I know there are some manual crossings UK and if your in a larger or slow truck you have to phone the signaller before crossing.

Log in to reply
Question from a noob. 18/02/2024 at 19:12 #155414
Steamer
Avatar
3920 posts
Online
747Pilot in post 155394 said:
Steamer in post 155384 said:
747Pilot in post 155380 said:
swiftaw in post 155378 said:
Under the Documentation section of this website you can find the signal number plan for every sim, it shows the numbers of all the signals, and you can print it.

Also, while playing the sim, you can bring up the train list that shows you all the trains currently in the sim and which panel they are on.
Thank you. I looked at the documentation page for a specific route and can see a thumbnail of the map but when I try to download the PDF from the link next to it then I just get a simple map route instead of a detailed diagram.

You might be looking at the wrong thing- there will be a Signal Number Plan towards the end of each manual. Also, you can find them all listed on this page.

Quote:
Also, do you know of any easy routes to learn that have a car/pedestrian crossing in them which are free?
North East Wales has a couple of controlled level crossings on it, that would probably be your best bet.
Thanks, those are exactly what I was looking for. Also, on the North east Wales route is there anything you actually have to do with the signals since they are controlled? I know there are some manual crossings UK and if your in a larger or slow truck you have to phone the signaller before crossing.
Yes, by controlled I was meaning the signaller has to lower the barriers themselves, check outside the window/CCTV then clear signals etc.

Crossings where large and slow vehicles have to phone before crossing are generally Automatic Half Barriers, which as the name suggests operate automatically and railway signals can show Green with the barriers raised. There are also user-worked crossings where any vehicle should phone before crossing.

"Don't stress/ relax/ let life roll off your backs./ Except for death and paying taxes/ everything in life.../ is only for now." (Avenue Q)
Log in to reply
Question from a noob. 18/02/2024 at 20:02 #155415
747Pilot
Avatar
4 posts
Steamer in post 155414 said:
[quote=747Pilot;post=155394][quote=Steamer;post=155384][quote=747Pilot;post=155380][quote=swiftaw;post=155378
Yes, by controlled I was meaning the signaller has to lower the barriers themselves, check outside the window/CCTV then clear signals etc.

Crossings where large and slow vehicles have to phone before crossing are generally Automatic Half Barriers, which as the name suggests operate automatically, and railway signals can show Green with the barriers raised. There are also user-worked crossings where any vehicle should phone before crossing.
Ahh, that makes sense, I assumed you meant they were automatically controlled so that the barriers would go down on their own. I guess I was hoping for something like a crossing where you don't control the barriers, but you might get calls from larger, slow vehicles, and you have to tell them whether they can cross or not.

Last edited: 18/02/2024 at 20:03 by 747Pilot
Reason: None given

Log in to reply
Question from a noob. 19/02/2024 at 08:23 #155418
Zecs
Avatar
9 posts
Online
747Pilot in post 155415 said:

Ahh, that makes sense, I assumed you meant they were automatically controlled so that the barriers would go down on their own. I guess I was hoping for something like a crossing where you don't control the barriers, but you might get calls from larger, slow vehicles, and you have to tell them whether they can cross or not.
You can read about the different crossings and how to deal with them on this page.

Log in to reply