Upcoming Games

No games to display

Full list
Add a game

Upcoming Events

how much should I keep trying?

You are here: Home > Forum > Miscellaneous > Jobs Wanted/Offered > how much should I keep trying?

Page 1 of 1

how much should I keep trying? 17/06/2016 at 14:27 #83100
killakanz
1 posts
As someone trying to get into a signalling job, I'm curious as to how much you guys applied before being accepted.

So far, I'm on my 8th application, they've all been crossing keepers or signalers upto grade 3. The first 6 didn't even make it to interview/assessment stage, and I'm still waiting to hear back on the 7th and 8th but I'm going to keep trying.

how much should I keep trying? 17/06/2016 at 16:12 #83101
Steamer
3054 posts
I think the answer to your question is "As long as you want to"!

As you've applied a few times without getting an interview or other assessment, you might want to look at your CV, Cover Letter and anything else the application form requires. Consider the skills needed in signalling, and make sure you provide plenty of examples of those skills. Things like making decisions and following procedures. If you have experience of safety-critical duties, make sure those feature, and any other times where you've had responsibility for something. Also, if you've said you're an enthusiast in the application, don't make a big deal about it- unfortunately, some people within NR will view this as a negative. A brief mention should be OK, but nothing more unless it involves something major, like volunteering in a safety-critical role at a preserved line. Finally, ensure that the basics are right: there should be no spelling or grammar errors in any part of your application.

The above is general advice which can be applied to any job application, I don't work for NR so I can't give any specifics of what they look for in applications.

Best of luck!

"Don't stress/ relax/ let life roll off your backs./ Except for death and paying taxes/ everything in life.../ is only for now." (Avenue Q)
Last edited: 17/06/2016 at 20:53 by Steamer
how much should I keep trying? 17/06/2016 at 18:16 #83102
madaboutrains
250 posts
Sometimes if you fail the SJT you will have to wait a year or just open a new account and do the SJT again.
how much should I keep trying? 17/06/2016 at 20:46 #83105
headshot119
3384 posts
" said:
Sometimes if you fail the SJT you will have to wait a year or just open a new account and do the SJT again.
The online SJT is valid for 6 months. And you don't have to open a new account to retake it.

If you are replying to a thread like this please dont respond unless you are sure of the Information you are posting.

"CHECK Do you stop at Capenhurst?" - Opinions are my own and not those of my employer