Upcoming Games

Full list
Add a game

Interface Gateway Help Requested

You are here: Home > Forum > General > General questions, comments, and issues > Interface Gateway Help Requested

Page 2 of 2

Interface Gateway Help Requested 22/03/2019 at 16:04 #116551
SamTDS
91 posts
technically a panel view would be like a customer information screen, such as at Cheltenham spa and Gloucester station they both have a board showing train timings, headcodes and a small overview. I wish I had the time to build a raspberry pi mockup tonight but it would be tight. Il have the code to connect to the multiplayer sessions as an example tomorrow.
SamTDS - STDS
The following user said thank you: DonRiver
Interface Gateway Help Requested 22/03/2019 at 18:37 #116553
GeoffM
4367 posts
SamTDS in post 116551 said:
technically a panel view would be like a customer information screen, such as at Cheltenham spa and Gloucester station they both have a board showing train timings, headcodes and a small overview. I wish I had the time to build a raspberry pi mockup tonight but it would be tight. Il have the code to connect to the multiplayer sessions as an example tomorrow.
The panels I've heard of it being used for are actual (or custom made) signalling panels, ie entrance-exit buttons etc. The customer information screens I envisaged were "next train XXXX to YYYY, delayed by NN, calling at A/B/C" kind of displays.

SimSig Boss
Interface Gateway Help Requested 22/03/2019 at 19:21 #116557
pedroathome
491 posts
Whistles -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0VuspeXC5c&feature=youtu.be

Although I've learnt a fair amount since working on this first - Both in terms of SimSig and programming

The following user said thank you: DonRiver
Interface Gateway Help Requested 22/03/2019 at 19:30 #116559
Steamer
2925 posts
I've been meaning to ask- can the Gateway be used to send commands into SimSig, or is it output only?

While I can handle microcontroller programming and its associated electronics with reasonable competency, I've yet to get my head around the sort of programming that would allow me to match between that and SimSig...

"Don't stress/ relax/ let life roll off your backs./ Except for death and paying taxes/ everything in life.../ is only for now." (Avenue Q)
Interface Gateway Help Requested 22/03/2019 at 19:48 #116560
pedroathome
491 posts
Steamer in post 116559 said:
I've been meaning to ask- can the Gateway be used to send commands into SimSig, or is it output only?

While I can handle microcontroller programming and its associated electronics with reasonable competency, I've yet to get my head around the sort of programming that would allow me to match between that and SimSig...
The gateway is output only

Interface Gateway Help Requested 22/03/2019 at 21:09 #116563
GeoffM
4367 posts
pedroathome in post 116560 said:

No, it's two-way. The following commands are available - that is, an external device can send these commands to SimSig:
- Route request
- Signal bpull (ie cancel)
- TD interpose/step/cancel
- Set latch/flag state
- Points key command

SimSig Boss
Interface Gateway Help Requested 22/03/2019 at 21:12 #116565
pedroathome
491 posts
GeoffM in post 116563 said:

No, it's two-way. The following commands are available - that is, an external device can send these commands to SimSig:
- Route request
- Set latch/flag state
- Points key command
The question then, but how would a user using the gateway send these commands into SimSig?

Interface Gateway Help Requested 22/03/2019 at 21:26 #116566
GeoffM
4367 posts
pedroathome in post 116565 said:

- Route request
- Set latch/flag state
- Points key command
The question then, but how would a user using the gateway send these commands into SimSig?
I'd have to find my test project that dumped live NROD TD data into SimSig (it was quite amusing to watch and spurned ideas of using real world steps to trigger train entries for real time delays). After the mysterious announcement this weekend...

SimSig Boss
Last edited: 22/03/2019 at 21:27 by GeoffM
Reason: None given

Interface Gateway Help Requested 22/03/2019 at 21:43 #116567
belly buster
331 posts

- Route request
- Set latch/flag state
- Points key command
Thinking in terms of a hardware interface, would "signal push" be a useful addition, as this would allow you to replicate a hardware button press without having to think about any route logic.

Interface Gateway Help Requested 22/03/2019 at 21:53 #116568
GeoffM
4367 posts
belly buster in post 116567 said:

- Route request
- Set latch/flag state
- Points key command
Thinking in terms of a hardware interface, would "signal push" be a useful addition, as this would allow you to replicate a hardware button press without having to think about any route logic.
The parameters are fromSignal and toSignal so while the hardware would need to act like a real life panel processor module, it doesn't need to know specific routes, just send signal pairs. This is because otherwise SimSig would not have the information to handle more than one user - think two users pressing their entrance buttons before either hits an exit: there is a chance that the two entrances actually form an entrance-exit pair and the wrong route sets.

SimSig Boss
The following user said thank you: belly buster
Interface Gateway Help Requested 02/04/2019 at 05:48 #117134
Hawk777
302 posts
SamTDS in post 116547 said:
Unfortunatly I haven't made any progress on the electronics side as currently we are finding it difficult to get decent free electronic design software. It is nice however to see the interest being brought in. I could likely make crossing status LEDs relatively simply.
Have you considered KiCad? I have used it and been quite satisfied myself.