Upcoming Games

No games to display

Add a game

Who's Online

Hosting with conditions

You are here: Home > Forum > Hosting > Hosting General Topics > Hosting with conditions

Page 1 of 1

Hosting with conditions 30/11/2018 at 20:44 #113740
Andrew G
458 posts
In the past I have hosted the occasional public host and would potentially host more apart from the fact it can be frustrating on occasion for various reasons.

I am considering re-entering the fray on a trial/pilot basis on the following basis and am interested in the views of individuals who look to join public hosts.

1. Clients are only asked to join if they can commit to the full sessions (usually 2 hours - 3 on occasion)
2. Work stations/Panels might be grouped to ensure a fair distribution of work load
3. No queue will be operated and once full, taking account of points 1 & 2, no further connections will be accepted

While to some this might seem draconian to some if successful it might lead to me hosting more frequently and at the the end of the day if it isn't for you then there isn't an obligation to join.

Any comments/observations?

Hosting with conditions 30/11/2018 at 21:46 #113741
JamesN
1010 posts
I think as long as they're reiterated with the game posting they're all entirely reasonable.
The following user said thank you: Andrew G
Hosting with conditions 30/11/2018 at 22:26 #113745
pedroathome
395 posts
Andrew G in post 113740 said:

1. Clients are only asked to join if they can commit to the full sessions (usually 2 hours - 3 on occasion)
Or a reasonable period of time if someone can't commit to the whole session

Andrew G in post 113740 said:

#3. No queue will be operated and once full, taking account of points 1 & 2, no further connections will be accepted

#
I dont know how just disconnecting (well, not accepting the conection for) someone would come sccross. Could this lead to people connecting, or trying to reconnect on a number of occasions without realising the reason for being disconnected?

Occasionally it can be nice to connect into a session, see howitsgoing, without the commitment of playing

James

Hosting with conditions 30/11/2018 at 23:14 #113746
GeoffM
4074 posts
I would suggest having a willing volunteer, who is happy not to continuously operate an aera, to cover meal / PNBs.
SimSig Boss. Website issues: Check here first: https://www.simsig.co.uk/Wiki/Show?page=newwebsite
Hosting with conditions 01/12/2018 at 17:30 #113757
Hap
197 posts
I fully agree with all points made.

Frustrating as it is when someone joins your host for 20 minutes and then you're left hanging for the rest of the night.

To keep it balanced also... There are times when unforeseen circumstances arise and one may have to go at short notice. Situations like that are indeed unavoidable.

I am interested in following up in CM's approach and hosting, but not limited to, 'pro sessions'. (I don't consider myself a guru with the sim, but certainly comfortable in hosting and joining sessions).

I don't mind having a queue, but I will detail in game description that once panels are taken, that is it until another user has left for the evening, though as stated by yourself, I would like to have people who can commit to the full session times detailed within the game description.

A 'panel man' is a good idea to cover the meal time/pnbs that are at short notice.

Craig

HAP
Hosting with conditions 07/12/2018 at 18:12 #113873
Ar88
279 posts
Fully agreed and fair points made by yourself, Andrew.

It is frustrating starting a host, getting all panels taken, for someone to suddenly turn around and say "oh I can only do 0-30mins" when there is someone else who can commit to a minimum timescale or the full session.

The Welsh contingent. Aron, or Ar to mates. Also known as 88E or ThatManCalledAr.