New Wiki template

You are here: Home > Forum > General > Wiki > New Wiki template

Page 1 of 1

New Wiki template 01/03/2019 at 17:50 #116102
Steamer
Avatar
3027 posts
Hello all,

One of the outcomes, both of 'behind the scenes' discussions and the recent thread about improving the website, was a request for the user manuals to be made more consistent. As such, a proposed template has been put together. Developers and Testers have already given comments which have been incorporated, but before finalising it I'd like to open it up to everyone.

There are two templates: One is for the 'long page' style of manual, which generally suits small to medium simulations, and 'contents page', which suits the big simulations. As which is to be used is pretty subjective, both templates are provided for use. The aim is to keep operating information separate from reference material, and adopt a consistent layout to help users find information easily.

New simulation manuals will follow this template. Existing manuals will be converted, provided the Developer is happy for that to happen. Obviously, it will take some time to work through them all.

The template is available to view here: https://www.simsig.co.uk/Wiki/Show?page=editors%3Amanualtemplate

As an example of how it's applied, the manual for the forthcoming Sandhills simulation is available here: https://www.simsig.co.uk/Wiki/Show?page=simulations%3Asandhills

(A screen shot of the Sandhills simulation is linked to from this thread.

Feel free to leave comments below; please note that I'm aiming to finalise the template in a week or so.

"Don't stress/ relax/ let life roll off your backs./ Except for death and paying taxes/ everything in life.../ is only for now." (Avenue Q)
Log in to reply
The following users said thank you: GeoffM, HST125Scorton, norman B
New Wiki template 01/03/2019 at 20:05 #116104
HST125Scorton
Avatar
579 posts
I'd rather see the long template in use than the content style. For me it would be easier in the long template page to scroll down the section that you need 'at the moment' when your in a game and just need to refresh the mind of how something worked. As for the content style I'm not overall smitten with it, you have to click on a content to get somewhere and then try to find what your looking for. Either way I'm not totally fussed on how this new template works but I'd prefer Long Template over Content Style.
Aaron (AJRO)
Log in to reply
New Wiki template 01/03/2019 at 20:14 #116105
GeoffM
Avatar
4650 posts
HST125Scorton in post 116104 said:
I'd rather see the long template in use than the content style. For me it would be easier in the long template page to scroll down the section that you need 'at the moment' when your in a game and just need to refresh the mind of how something worked. As for the content style I'm not overall smitten with it, you have to click on a content to get somewhere and then try to find what your looking for. Either way I'm not totally fussed on how this new template works but I'd prefer Long Template over Content Style.
Others prefer the separate pages / contents version for larger simulations. Horses for courses.

I believe Steamer is more asking about content of each of the two templates, than choice of which format to use.

SimSig Boss
Log in to reply
The following user said thank you: HST125Scorton
New Wiki template 01/03/2019 at 20:44 #116106
Steamer
Avatar
3027 posts
We could spend 5 pages arguing over the merits of Long V Contents, and indeed there was some discussion in the Dev/Tester thread about this. Ultimately, it's down to personal preference, hence why I've catered for both styles. Existing manuals will remain in whatever style they're in currently, unless Geoff or the Developer requests a change.
"Don't stress/ relax/ let life roll off your backs./ Except for death and paying taxes/ everything in life.../ is only for now." (Avenue Q)
Last edited: 01/03/2019 at 20:47 by Steamer
Reason: None given

Log in to reply
New Wiki template 02/03/2019 at 10:41 #116110
norman B
Avatar
106 posts
As one of the members who wanted the Wiki to be done in a consistent way,I would be happy to see these proposals accepted.
Log in to reply
The following users said thank you: headshot119, Steamer
New Wiki template 02/03/2019 at 15:54 #116122
y10g9
Avatar
501 posts
Online
The layout looks good Steamer

Without knowing exactly how the wiki backbone works, is there a way of being able to expand/collapse sections of the wiki, and/or have a hyperlinked contents at the top? I’ve generally found the long versions better for reading through the manual when first using the sim, but using the Sandhills example, if I want to check a level crossing location, or find the signaling plan, then being able to jump down to that section (or collapse the sections above) would probably be a good compromise between the 2 layouts

Log in to reply
The following user said thank you: Steamer
New Wiki template 02/03/2019 at 16:21 #116124
Steamer
Avatar
3027 posts
y10g9 in post 116122 said:
The layout looks good Steamer

Without knowing exactly how the wiki backbone works, is there a way of being able to expand/collapse sections of the wiki, and/or have a hyperlinked contents at the top? I’ve generally found the long versions better for reading through the manual when first using the sim, but using the Sandhills example, if I want to check a level crossing location, or find the signaling plan, then being able to jump down to that section (or collapse the sections above) would probably be a good compromise between the 2 layouts
Unfortunately, the Wiki doesn't allow links to sub-headings at present, or any other method of obtaining a contents page as you describe. A request has already been logged on Mantis for this to be added.

"Don't stress/ relax/ let life roll off your backs./ Except for death and paying taxes/ everything in life.../ is only for now." (Avenue Q)
Log in to reply
The following user said thank you: y10g9
New Wiki template 20/03/2019 at 18:40 #116472
y10g9
Avatar
501 posts
Online
Noted as I went onto the wiki today that a clickable contents section has appeared. To me, this definitely helps with the navigation through the wiki. Thanks to Geoff and others
Log in to reply
The following user said thank you: GeoffM
New Wiki template 20/03/2019 at 18:52 #116473
GeoffM
Avatar
4650 posts
Steamer in post 116124 said:
Unfortunately, the Wiki doesn't allow links to sub-headings at present, or any other method of obtaining a contents page as you describe. A request has already been logged on Mantis for this to be added.
Note that this was done at the same time as the contents, so now you can link to a level 1, 2, or 3 heading with #title in the link. The #title should be in lower case and with spaces replaced with underscores. Thus "Panel Notes" would become panel_notes. Example

Quote:
https://www.simsig.co.uk/Wiki/Show?page=simulations:KingsCross#panel_notes

SimSig Boss
Last edited: 20/03/2019 at 18:54 by GeoffM
Reason: Formatting

Log in to reply
The following user said thank you: Steamer
New Wiki template 20/03/2019 at 19:03 #116474
postal
Avatar
3896 posts
y10g9 in post 116472 said:
Noted as I went onto the wiki today that a clickable contents section has appeared. To me, this definitely helps with the navigation through the wiki. Thanks to Geoff and others
+1

"No question is too stupid, there are just some stupid answers" - Dr. Michael Reece, 12/08/1927 - 03/06/2019. Electrical engineer and inventor
Log in to reply