Upcoming Games


Full list
Add a game

Kings Cross bug?

You are here: Home > Forum > General > General questions, comments, and issues > Kings Cross bug?

Page 1 of 1

Kings Cross bug? 22/12/2019 at 21:04 #122387
ajax103
Avatar
753 posts
I have been playing a 4 day TT in Kings Cross using the modern era as it has platform 0 so far I haven't had any major issues.

As it's Sunday morning and there's nothing to do, I decided to speed the sim up to the max until I see some trains moving.

I did this and I got bombarded by countless SimSig error messages which I don't understand what they mean...

I'm running Loader V4.15.1 and Kings Cross V3.4.

I've attached a photo of the errors that came up plus the save I've been using.

If I'm right I've gone back to 4am on the 3rd day.
[attachment=10704]WhatsApp Image 2019-12-22 at 20.56.59.jpeg[/attachment]

Post has attachments. Log in to view them.
Log in to reply
Kings Cross bug? 22/12/2019 at 21:38 #122390
headshot119
Avatar
3554 posts
Online
Was this a multiplayer session?

And if so is the picture from the host or the client?

"CHECK Do you stop at Capenhurst?" - Opinions are my own and not those of my employer
Log in to reply
Kings Cross bug? 22/12/2019 at 22:54 #122391
BarryM
Avatar
2120 posts
Online
I ran the SSG on highest speed till TRTS at 05:39 hour. No error messages were received! Me thinks a memory problem with your computer.
Barry, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Last edited: 22/12/2019 at 22:58 by BarryM
Reason: None given

Log in to reply
Kings Cross bug? 23/12/2019 at 08:51 #122394
clive
Avatar
2051 posts
Could you please look in the log file and see if there's more information there? With luck you should find the same message followed by a string of letters and numbers; if so, please email them to me or post them here.

The log file is usually at c:\users\public\public documents\simsig\SimSig Loader0.log, though there may be more than one file with different numbers.

Log in to reply
Kings Cross bug? 23/12/2019 at 08:56 #122395
clive
Avatar
2051 posts
This looks like you had a network error while connected to the server or with a client connected to you. This has then tickled a bug in the core code.

Mantis 28804 raised to investigate this.

Log in to reply
The following user said thank you: ajax103
Kings Cross bug? 23/12/2019 at 10:48 #122396
ajax103
Avatar
753 posts
headshot119 in post 122390 said:
Was this a multiplayer session?

And if so is the picture from the host or the client?
Single Player, this is after I had turn the server off and ran it as a solo session.

BarryM in post 122391 said:
I ran the SSG on highest speed till TRTS at 05:39 hour. No error messages were received! Me thinks a memory problem with your computer.
It took 4 to 5 tries to restart the PC plus the screen went quite dark after which once I finally got the PC to restart I couldn't get any more error messages.

I've never got any such error messages before.

clive in post 122394 said:
Could you please look in the log file and see if there's more information there? With luck you should find the same message followed by a string of letters and numbers; if so, please email them to me or post them here.

The log file is usually at c:\users\public\public documents\simsig\SimSig Loader0.log, though there may be more than one file with different numbers.
I've no idea exactly what I'm suppose to look at but does the following help at all?

========== SimSig Loader version 4.15.1 ==========
System date/time: 22/12/2019 08:36:22
C:\Users\Public\Documents\SimSig\Simulations\KingsX.sim up to date
Loading kingsx from C:\Users\Public\Documents\SimSig\Simulations\KingsX.sim
Simulation: kingsx
Timetable:
Start time: 00:00:00
LicenseID: 2725
CompilerVersion: 4.0.29
CompileDateTime: 2014/04/17 10:55:08
Sim version: 3.4.0
Simulation loaded
53:00:03 Network failure while sending to 90.206.77.243:57596 (EAccessViolation: Access violation at address 004A8B28 in module 'SimSigLoader.exe'. Read of address 00000000)
53:00:03 Stack: 0065C281 0065C3DF 00648309 006483FD 00643F28 00645A80 00642E9F 00660BB9
53:00:03 Stack: 005BCF66 004407AE 00423386 761261BB 761174DC 7611661B 7610BD70 0046B8B8
53:00:03 Stack: 0067C55E 772804========== SimSig Loader version 4.15.1 ==========

clive in post 122395 said:
This looks like you had a network error while connected to the server or with a client connected to you. This has then tickled a bug in the core code.

Mantis 28804 raised to investigate this.
Thank you, no idea how or why I got multi error messages bombarding my screen but after I finally managed to restart the PC, I didn't get any more error messages.

I hope the info above is enough for you to translate as I don't understand a word of it.

Log in to reply
Kings Cross bug? 23/12/2019 at 11:03 #122397
headshot119
Avatar
3554 posts
Online
Thanks, I've copied that log entry across into Mantis.

In regards to this post:

BarryM in post 122391 said:
I ran the SSG on highest speed till TRTS at 05:39 hour. No error messages were received! Me thinks a memory problem with your computer.
Ignore it, the poster is just making a random guess which isn't particularity helpful.

"CHECK Do you stop at Capenhurst?" - Opinions are my own and not those of my employer
Log in to reply
The following users said thank you: ajax103, UKTrainMan
Kings Cross bug? 23/12/2019 at 21:59 #122406
BarryM
Avatar
2120 posts
Online
headshot119 in post 122397 said:
Thanks, I've copied that log entry across into Mantis.

In regards to this post:

BarryM in post 122391 said:
I ran the SSG on highest speed till TRTS at 05:39 hour. No error messages were received! Me thinks a memory problem with your computer.
Ignore it, the poster is just making a random guess which isn't particularity helpful.
Sorry Karl. I'm just a grumpy 82 year old! Unable to put my thoughts into writing.

Merry Xmas to you and all Simsiggers!

BarryM

Barry, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Last edited: 23/12/2019 at 22:05 by BarryM
Reason: None given

Log in to reply
Kings Cross bug? 24/12/2019 at 00:39 #122411
headshot119
Avatar
3554 posts
Online
The picture that was attached in the opening post, is that from the client or the server? I'm trying to work out why you have missing track in platforms 7, 9, and 10. Or is the photo contrast just really poor?
"CHECK Do you stop at Capenhurst?" - Opinions are my own and not those of my employer
Log in to reply
Kings Cross bug? 24/12/2019 at 10:28 #122429
ajax103
Avatar
753 posts
headshot119 in post 122411 said:
The picture that was attached in the opening post, is that from the client or the server? I'm trying to work out why you have missing track in platforms 7, 9, and 10. Or is the photo contrast just really poor?
Well I did take it with my phone, the picture was from a solo session that I then converted to a MP session that I then converted back to the solo session using the network tool on the loader that allows this without having to restart the whole session which I think was the whole reason for it being put in place.

I don't know why I had missing track nor why I got bombarded with those error messages as it's beyond my level of knowledge.

I know though that I went back to the 4am save to restart from there and as of yet have not seen any issues.

I'm sorry I can't be of much help but I am trying to give as much info as possible.

Log in to reply
Kings Cross bug? 24/12/2019 at 10:32 #122430
headshot119
Avatar
3554 posts
Online
What I'm trying to work out is, was the track actually missing for you? Or is it just the photo?
"CHECK Do you stop at Capenhurst?" - Opinions are my own and not those of my employer
Log in to reply
Kings Cross bug? 24/12/2019 at 10:34 #122431
Sacro
Avatar
1057 posts
headshot119 in post 122430 said:
What I'm trying to work out is, was the track actually missing for you? Or is it just the photo?
Given that there are no signal aspects, looks like red is going missing somewhere.

Log in to reply
Kings Cross bug? 24/12/2019 at 15:39 #122446
ajax103
Avatar
753 posts
headshot119 in post 122430 said:
What I'm trying to work out is, was the track actually missing for you? Or is it just the photo?
All I know is it was working fine indeed I was running a private session and when that had finished as there wasn’t much moving I decided to speed up the simulation.

I took the photo of the simulation as it appeared then when I was being bombed by countless error messages.

Note that atm I haven’t seen any issues repeating itself, I didn’t even notice the missing track until you pointed it out - I was more concerned with why I got error messages.

I’m sorry that I can’t be of much help.

Log in to reply
Kings Cross bug? 24/12/2019 at 18:54 #122465
GeoffM
Avatar
4874 posts
Online
Sacro in post 122431 said:
headshot119 in post 122430 said:
What I'm trying to work out is, was the track actually missing for you? Or is it just the photo?
Given that there are no signal aspects, looks like red is going missing somewhere.
It seems the entire red channel is missing from the image! I blame Santa.

SimSig Boss
Log in to reply
Kings Cross bug? 27/12/2019 at 23:18 #122602
clive
Avatar
2051 posts
ajax103 in post 122396 said:
headshot119 in post 122390 said:
Was this a multiplayer session?
And if so is the picture from the host or the client?
Single Player, this is after I had turn the server off and ran it as a solo session.
Can you recall exactly what you did to "turn the server off"? How soon after did the messages start appearing?

ajax103 in post 122396 said:
BarryM in post 122391 said:
I ran the SSG on highest speed till TRTS at 05:39 hour. No error messages were received! Me thinks a memory problem with your computer.
It took 4 to 5 tries to restart the PC plus the screen went quite dark after which once I finally got the PC to restart I couldn't get any more error messages.
This sort of internal error usually doesn't affect a restarted game, though it may have left some traces in it. This is because reloading a saved game isn't restoring the memory of the SimSig process exactly as it was. Rather, it's like starting a new game but with some of the objects in the game set to different values than a new game. Access violations tend to be caused by objects that have got into an inconsistent state because of some complex interaction which didn't get foreseen by Geoff and me. This can almost never happen from loading a saved game because there aren't any complex interactions. Your particular case is even less likely to appear in a saved game because it's a networking issue and the network state isn't saved.

What's more useful, when available, is a save from just before the problem and instructions on how to make the error occur again. But don't worry if you don't have that available.

Log in to reply
Kings Cross bug? 29/12/2019 at 18:18 #122635
ajax103
Avatar
753 posts
clive in post 122602 said:
ajax103 in post 122396 said:
headshot119 in post 122390 said:
Was this a multiplayer session?
And if so is the picture from the host or the client?
Single Player, this is after I had turn the server off and ran it as a solo session.
Can you recall exactly what you did to "turn the server off"? How soon after did the messages start appearing?

ajax103 in post 122396 said:
BarryM in post 122391 said:
I ran the SSG on highest speed till TRTS at 05:39 hour. No error messages were received! Me thinks a memory problem with your computer.
It took 4 to 5 tries to restart the PC plus the screen went quite dark after which once I finally got the PC to restart I couldn't get any more error messages.
This sort of internal error usually doesn't affect a restarted game, though it may have left some traces in it. This is because reloading a saved game isn't restoring the memory of the SimSig process exactly as it was. Rather, it's like starting a new game but with some of the objects in the game set to different values than a new game. Access violations tend to be caused by objects that have got into an inconsistent state because of some complex interaction which didn't get foreseen by Geoff and me. This can almost never happen from loading a saved game because there aren't any complex interactions. Your particular case is even less likely to appear in a saved game because it's a networking issue and the network state isn't saved.

What's more useful, when available, is a save from just before the problem and instructions on how to make the error occur again. But don't worry if you don't have that available.
On the loader you have the network tab in which you can change a session from a single player session to a MP session, I just used that to stop the loader being a server or in layman's terms changed the session from a MP session to a Single Player session.

Log in to reply