Upcoming Games


Full list
Add a game

confused returnee

You are here: Home > Forum > General > General questions, comments, and issues > confused returnee

Page 1 of 1

confused returnee 29/06/2020 at 21:09 #128561
ozzyd9001
Avatar
131 posts
hi all
need a little help
ive just returned to simsig after a long absence.
was getting along ok ish till ive tried to install my fav sim Cambridge.
ive payed my money but can not find the sim in my loader, and now i can not see the Listerine manager on the new v5 either.
after hunting the sim list i can not find the sim either.
or am i blind?
please help an old sim sig fan return

your
ozzy

Log in to reply
confused returnee 29/06/2020 at 21:32 #128563
jc92
Avatar
3025 posts
hi and welcome back.

Cambridge was never updated to work on the loader and works the old way through a .exe file. this is why it won't be appearing on the loader. It is also no longer available to download itself as the .exe files have been withdrawn with the launch of V5 loader.

V5 loader doesn't have a seperate licence manager. in the "start new game" option where it lists sims and you can right click on the relevant sim to lock/unlock a licence, although this isn't a requirement under the new loader.

Edit: when/how did you pay for the sim? it was donationware so purchase wasn't neccesary but I can't find anywhere to buy or donate for Cambridge, unless of course you did it several days ago?

Last edited: 29/06/2020 at 21:35 by jc92
Reason: None given

Log in to reply
confused returnee 29/06/2020 at 21:35 #128564
GeoffM
Avatar
5018 posts
ozzyd9001 in post 128561 said:
hi all
need a little help
ive just returned to simsig after a long absence.
was getting along ok ish till ive tried to install my fav sim Cambridge.
ive payed my money but can not find the sim in my loader, and now i can not see the Listerine manager on the new v5 either.
after hunting the sim list i can not find the sim either.
or am i blind?
please help an old sim sig fan return

your
ozzy
We're not entirely sure how you managed to do that as it was delisted. In any case, I've refunded your donation.

SimSig Boss
Log in to reply
The following user said thank you: jc92
confused returnee 29/06/2020 at 21:43 #128566
ozzyd9001
Avatar
131 posts
hi thanks for the reply

i had it in my basket for about a month as i battled my paypal account.
last night i won and i managed to follow through with the purchase as the sim was still in there
but thank you for the refund
pity i enjoyed that sim ;(
yours
ozzy

Log in to reply
confused returnee 29/06/2020 at 22:07 #128570
GeoffM
Avatar
5018 posts
We're expecting a new release in the near future.

By the way, can you check your email address in your profile on here please? It doesn't match the one in PayPal.

SimSig Boss
Log in to reply
confused returnee 30/06/2020 at 09:59 #128599
clive
Avatar
2080 posts
GeoffM in post 128570 said:
We're expecting a new release in the near future.
You are?

While Cambridge is on my backlog of things to do, it's a very big job because of how old it is (let me just whisper "custom code" ) even without the need to implement the new layout. Don't hold your breath.

Last edited: 30/06/2020 at 19:30 by clive
Reason: Get rid of unrequested emoticon

Log in to reply
confused returnee 30/06/2020 at 17:03 #128621
GeoffM
Avatar
5018 posts
clive in post 128599 said:
GeoffM in post 128570 said:
We're expecting a new release in the near future.
You are?

While Cambridge is on my backlog of things to do, it's a very big job because of how old it is (let me just whisper "custom code"even without the need to implement the new layout. Don't hold your breath.
My moles have been sent off for retraining.

SimSig Boss
Log in to reply
confused returnee 30/06/2020 at 17:16 #128625
DriverCurran
Avatar
541 posts
Online
clive in post 128599 said:
GeoffM in post 128570 said:
We're expecting a new release in the near future.
You are?

While Cambridge is on my backlog of things to do, it's a very big job because of how old it is (let me just whisper "custom code"even without the need to implement the new layout. Don't hold your breath.
Is uttering the words "custom code" the SimSig equivalent of saying "isn't it quiet" within a control room?

You have to get a red before you can get any other colour
Last edited: 30/06/2020 at 17:16 by DriverCurran
Reason: None given

Log in to reply
confused returnee 30/06/2020 at 19:43 #128652
clive
Avatar
2080 posts
DriverCurran in post 128625 said:

Is uttering the words "custom code" the SimSig equivalent of saying "isn't it quiet" within a control room?
More like "so we just need to string a bit of wire from Skipton to Carlisle" or "all we need to do is re-open the GCR".

While Cambridge isn't the only old sim that had custom code in it, it was the testbed for heavy use of AHBs (the only previous case was one very simple one in Royston). Since I wrote the AHB code as well, I know that the way you implement one now is not a simple conversion from how you implemented one then.

Log in to reply
confused returnee 30/06/2020 at 21:34 #128678
Sacro
Avatar
1064 posts
clive in post 128652 said:
DriverCurran in post 128625 said:

Is uttering the words "custom code" the SimSig equivalent of saying "isn't it quiet" within a control room?
More like "so we just need to string a bit of wire from Skipton to Carlisle" or "all we need to do is re-open the GCR".

While Cambridge isn't the only old sim that had custom code in it, it was the testbed for heavy use of AHBs (the only previous case was one very simple one in Royston). Since I wrote the AHB code as well, I know that the way you implement one now is not a simple conversion from how you implemented one then.
If you need a hand re-implementing AHBs I'm sure Karl or Pedrick or I could assist

Log in to reply
confused returnee 30/06/2020 at 22:27 #128685
clive
Avatar
2080 posts
clive in post 128652 said:
DriverCurran in post 128625 said:

Is uttering the words "custom code" the SimSig equivalent of saying "isn't it quiet" within a control room?
More like "so we just need to string a bit of wire from Skipton to Carlisle" or "all we need to do is re-open the GCR".

Actually, I just realized the perfect analogy:

"so we just need to convert the Southern Region to 25 kV AC overhead".

Log in to reply
confused returnee 30/06/2020 at 22:29 #128686
clive
Avatar
2080 posts
Sacro in post 128678 said:

If you need a hand re-implementing AHBs I'm sure Karl or Pedrick or I could assist
I'll remember that, thanks. But the first thing I need is a plan for the rewrite.

Oh, and the zeroth thing I need is for 847 other items to get off my backlog.

Log in to reply
The following users said thank you: BarryM, Trainfan344