Upcoming Games


Full list
Add a game

Failure in a fringing area

You are here: Home > Forum > General > Features wish list > Failure in a fringing area

Page 1 of 1

Failure in a fringing area 10/07/2020 at 21:17 #129437
postal
Avatar
4299 posts
Online
It is my understanding that when a sim is set at one of the higher levels of difficulties then trains may enter late from a fringe area but on a purely random basis.

However, that does not cover the situation where there is some sort of failure in a fringe area such as a signal, TC or points failure. With a signal or TC failure all trains entering from the fringe before the failure is cleared would be delayed. The delay would probably be by a similar(ish) length of time allowing for the signaller to instruct the train to pass the R or black signal and would happen for a period of time until the failure was cleared. If there was a points failure or something else which caused a total line blockage then nothing would enter for a period of time followed the list of scheduled trains entering one after another until everything delayed had passed - that of course assumes that the imaginary SimSig fringe box is not able to regulate to give priority and hold less time-critical trains back to the end of the queue.

Would it possible to create either scenario as a random event in the core code? This would add to the realism of the task facing the SimSig signaller and perhaps spice things up a little for those who like a bit of excitement and a chance to exercise the little grey cells in making regulating decisions.

This would only apply to a standalone sim as the delays would automatically be passed on in a chained session.

“In life, there is always someone out there, who won’t like you, for whatever reason, don’t let the insecurities in their lives affect yours.” – Rashida Rowe
Log in to reply
Failure in a fringing area 10/07/2020 at 21:29 #129438
jc92
Avatar
3053 posts
an extension/alternative to this concept would be the ability to introduce delays to a specific entry point individually rather than a generic slider, for instance allowing me to run Carlisle and specify high delays at entry points Lockerbie and Lockerbie loop, simulating issues occuring at Motherwell, but with no, or little delays from any other entry point. I might also choose to have delays on for Kingmoor down goods and up departures to simulate issues in the yard.
Log in to reply
Failure in a fringing area 10/07/2020 at 21:36 #129441
postal
Avatar
4299 posts
Online
jc92 in post 129438 said:
an extension/alternative to this concept would be the ability to introduce delays to a specific entry point individually rather than a generic slider, for instance allowing me to run Carlisle and specify high delays at entry points Lockerbie and Lockerbie loop, simulating issues occuring at Motherwell, but with no, or little delays from any other entry point. I might also choose to have delays on for Kingmoor down goods and up departures to simulate issues in the yard.
I was specifically thinking about a defined entry point rather than a generic so that we would be replicating a failure in a specific (but randomly picked) fringe area.

“In life, there is always someone out there, who won’t like you, for whatever reason, don’t let the insecurities in their lives affect yours.” – Rashida Rowe
Log in to reply
Failure in a fringing area 10/07/2020 at 21:39 #129442
jc92
Avatar
3053 posts
postal in post 129441 said:
jc92 in post 129438 said:
an extension/alternative to this concept would be the ability to introduce delays to a specific entry point individually rather than a generic slider, for instance allowing me to run Carlisle and specify high delays at entry points Lockerbie and Lockerbie loop, simulating issues occuring at Motherwell, but with no, or little delays from any other entry point. I might also choose to have delays on for Kingmoor down goods and up departures to simulate issues in the yard.
I was specifically thinking about a defined entry point rather than a generic so that we would be replicating a failure in a specific (but randomly picked) fringe area.
See highlighted section

Log in to reply
Failure in a fringing area 10/07/2020 at 21:42 #129444
postal
Avatar
4299 posts
Online
So are you just repeating with the highlighted section what I suggested in the first place?
“In life, there is always someone out there, who won’t like you, for whatever reason, don’t let the insecurities in their lives affect yours.” – Rashida Rowe
Last edited: 10/07/2020 at 21:42 by postal
Reason: None given

Log in to reply
Failure in a fringing area 10/07/2020 at 21:59 #129445
jc92
Avatar
3053 posts
Your suggestion was for a randomly occurring failure similar to existing signal/TC failures which is randomly generated by the sim. Mine was for the user to be able to define specific entry locations to taste, for instance using the F3 or F11 menus.
Log in to reply
Failure in a fringing area 10/07/2020 at 22:17 #129448
postal
Avatar
4299 posts
Online
I think we are getting a bit at cross-purposes.

I was suggesting that all of a sudden **bang** there is a failure without warning in a random fringe sim which will delay trains entering the sim in play. As far as I can see, the only difference in your enhancement is that you wish to choose the fringe area which has a problem rather than it being a random event. Fair enough but to my mind that is like running with failures turned off then adding your own through F11 when it suits - that always seems like bit of a cop-out to me.

As far as a total blockage for a period is concerned, you can already do that using BLOK but again that takes away the random element.

“In life, there is always someone out there, who won’t like you, for whatever reason, don’t let the insecurities in their lives affect yours.” – Rashida Rowe
Log in to reply
Failure in a fringing area 10/07/2020 at 23:01 #129453
9pN1SEAp
Avatar
380 posts
Online
Doesn’t this situation happen already, if you get a all-lamps failure on the first controlled signal from a fringe area?
Jamie S (JAMS)
Log in to reply
Failure in a fringing area 10/07/2020 at 23:26 #129458
GeoffM
Avatar
5067 posts
There are a lot of words here. Isn't it simply:
"Have an entry point delay all trains through it, to simulate some issue on that line in the adjacent box"
?

SimSig Boss
Log in to reply
The following user said thank you: bri2808
Failure in a fringing area 10/07/2020 at 23:41 #129460
jc92
Avatar
3053 posts
GeoffM in post 129458 said:
There are a lot of words here. Isn't it simply:
"Have an entry point delay all trains through it, to simulate some issue on that line in the adjacent box"
?
From my perspective, yes, that's what I was suggesting. John is suggesting its a random failure event, I'm suggesting its some sort of manual setting per entry point.

Log in to reply
Failure in a fringing area 11/07/2020 at 00:14 #129461
postal
Avatar
4299 posts
Online
GeoffM in post 129458 said:
There are a lot of words here. Isn't it simply:
"Have an entry point delay all trains through it, to simulate some issue on that line in the adjacent box"
?
Succinct but not quite the whole suggestion. Two varieties of delay proposed. One where all trains for a period of time are delayed by a shortish period to simulate a stop, caution and proceed event and one where all entries are blockaded for a period of time and then enter one after the other until the queue has been cleared.

“In life, there is always someone out there, who won’t like you, for whatever reason, don’t let the insecurities in their lives affect yours.” – Rashida Rowe
Log in to reply
Failure in a fringing area 11/07/2020 at 02:14 #129463
GeoffM
Avatar
5067 posts
Right. I think others were sidetracked by talk of failures.
SimSig Boss
Log in to reply
Failure in a fringing area 11/07/2020 at 03:03 #129464
bri2808
Avatar
145 posts
I often think that would be a good idea to have the delays say at London Bridge, so everything coming from there is delayed but trains from Victoria are running fine (for the Three Bridges for example). It would certainly mean you have to think more as trains come into the area
Log in to reply
Failure in a fringing area 15/07/2020 at 15:33 #129627
clive
Avatar
2109 posts
Mantis 31131 raised as a placeholder.
Log in to reply