Upcoming Games

(UTC times)


Full list
Add a game

Upcoming Events

No events to display

SimSig - Loader 5.27 (TaCOma) - Released

You are here: Home > Forum > Announcements > Permanent announcements > SimSig - Loader 5.27 (TaCOma) - Released

Page 1 of 2

SimSig - Loader 5.27 (TaCOma) - Released 14/11/2023 at 20:35 #154074
headshot119
Avatar
4869 posts
SimSig - Loader 5.27 (TaCOma)

Introduction

We are pleased to announce the release of Loader 5.27 which introduces some exciting new features to SimSig.

The launch has been planned ahead of the release of Doncaster Station at the upcoming meet, this will allow people attending the meet to have the loader ready installed for the new simulation.

IMPORTANT

Because the file structure has changed slightly with this update, you will need to update your loader to 5.27, and then run the updater again from within loader 5.27 to get everything in the correct place.

In a future loader we will tidy up any stray files from the initial update to version 5.27.

Overlays

Overlays have been a feature of SimSig for a while, but only via the F11 Incident Control panel, or prewritten scenarios by the simulation developer. These are now accessible to the player (Including clients in multiplayer) via the buttons on the Control Window. Simply left click on the relevant button (Reminder, Isolation, or BTET) and then left click on a Track Circuit to apply the overlay, they can be removed using the same process but using a right click.

The Control Window has also had a makeover to include the new buttons.

BTET - Blocked To Electric Traction



Line Ups

Simplifiers have been a feature of SimSig for a long time, but we wanted to up the realism level and give players something closer to what real life signallers have access to, and that is where Line Ups come in!

Line Ups allow you to choose a location within the simulation, and view all of the trains booked at that location till the end of the timetable, it will automatically refresh each real time minute, and will assist you in regulating trains.

The layout is fully user customizable as well, and a layout can be simulation specific, or global. There’s some more information on the Wiki about how you can design your own layouts here, and with our other new feature in today's update you can share them via the website for other players to use.

We have included four default layouts which can be used with any location, as well as some location specific ones for our Manchester Piccadilly simulation.



User Content Installation

On the front page of the loader a new “User Content” button is available. This opens a browser that allows you to look through a large collection of user submitted files. Included at the moment are timetables and layouts. Upon selecting a file, you can install them directly to your machine without needing to manually download anything from the website or move them to the correct directory yourself.

You will also be able to view a description of the file, and any reviews that other users have left, before choosing whether or not to install it.

The Downloads area on the website is not going anywhere, and you will still be able to download all files manually if you wish.

Our moderation team have done an initial pass through the vast collection of user submissions and determined whether each file is suitable for inclusion in the loader User Content feature. Some files are not included because for example, they are in an older file format, they do not have a version number embedded in them, or they include the version number in the file name itself.

Users who have previously submitted files that do not meet the criteria to be included in the first batch are invited to amend their submissions to correct these issues so they can be included. We will be updating the website upload area over the next few days to allow this to take place.

Where a timetable has been submitted as part of a zip archive which includes other supporting files, for example a PDF document of supporting notes, the timetable will be placed in the correct timetable folder eg C:\Users\Public\Public Documents\SimSig\Timetables\Aston and the supporting files will be placed in C:\Users\Public\Public Documents\SimSig\Timetables\Aston\TimetableName



Other new features

Incoming telephone calls will now show the workstation which the call has been sent to, both in the call queue, and the title bar of the answer call window.

The interface gateway now supports commands to toggle automatic buttons, and emergency replacements buttons.

An IP ban list is available when running as a server, under server configuration. This will prevent a person you have ejected from rejoining.

You can now test that your port is open using the "test" button under server configuration. You will get a popup box with the result of the test.

Entry speeds can be specified per individual schedules. While in most cases you can leave this at the default setting of "0" (0 means it will use the simulation default entry speed for that entry location), you can use this to finely tune the entry speeds of particular trains into a simulation.

There is now an option to delete unused decisions.

The class of service a particular schedule will use can be checked on the "Misc" tab, it will show in green text next to the Class of service drop down.

There are also various tweaks and fixes, all documented in the change log.

Simulation & Timetable Updates

Doncaster South Simulation & Timetables
Doncaster North Simulations& Timetables
Telford & Oxley Timetables

Have all been updated as well.

If you are wondering why we nicknamed this version TaCOma, it was a backronym of Train Line Ups, Content, and Overlays, which fitted in with some of these ideas first being discussed on board the M/V Tacoma in Seattle earlier this year.

"Passengers for New Lane, should be seated in the rear coach of the train " - Opinions are my own and not those of my employer
Last edited: 14/11/2023 at 21:18 by headshot119
Reason: None given

Log in to reply
The following users said thank you: Hap, HST125Scorton, mattja19, simonstops, peterb, lazzer, Ridgedfox, moonraker, Trainfan344, mldaureol, Mikhail, tjfrancis, KCRCRailway, jnjkerbin, sunocske, Gwasanaethau, welshdave257, whatlep
SimSig - Loader 5.27 (TaCOma) - Released 14/11/2023 at 21:01 #154078
ajax103
Avatar
1108 posts
Some very welcomed features however with the regards to the Class of Service function, it seems to refer to Class 325 mail services as suggesting to use Passenger as the Class of Service - shouldn't it recognise the fact that the Class 325 is not a passenger train and instead suggest that Goods is chosen as the Class of Service?

Does it just look at the headcode to offer a suggestion and not the train type? If that's the case, could it not look at the train type instead if it's actually possible?

I just fired up the Ground Hog Day 2009 TT for Warrington and that's what it does, it's a great little function but thought I point that out as it's probably something behind the scenes that's doing it which is also probably very easy to fix.

Congrats on the update though as there's features that I've wanted for a while

Log in to reply
SimSig - Loader 5.27 (TaCOma) - Released 14/11/2023 at 21:05 #154080
postal
Avatar
5200 posts
Online
headshot119 in post 154074 said:
Because the file structure has changed slightly with this update, you will need to update your loader to 5.27, and then run the updater again from within loader 5.27 to get everything in the correct place.

In a future loader we will tidy up any stray files from the initial update to version 5.27.
A quick note of reassurance for those who use bespoke file locations rather than the SimSig default. I got a little worried when Karl wrote about changing the file structure but the new loader installed and runs OK without altering my existing set of folders.

“In life, there is always someone out there, who won’t like you, for whatever reason, don’t let the insecurities in their lives affect yours.” – Rashida Rowe
Log in to reply
The following users said thank you: headshot119, Gwasanaethau
SimSig - Loader 5.27 (TaCOma) - Released 14/11/2023 at 21:10 #154081
mattja19
Avatar
17 posts
Some really good updates here, particularly the user content section!

Keep up the good work guys and gals

Log in to reply
The following user said thank you: headshot119
SimSig - Loader 5.27 (TaCOma) - Released 14/11/2023 at 21:22 #154083
headshot119
Avatar
4869 posts
ajax103 in post 154078 said:
Some very welcomed features however with the regards to the Class of Service function, it seems to refer to Class 325 mail services as suggesting to use Passenger as the Class of Service - shouldn't it recognise the fact that the Class 325 is not a passenger train and instead suggest that Goods is chosen as the Class of Service?

Does it just look at the headcode to offer a suggestion and not the train type? If that's the case, could it not look at the train type instead if it's actually possible?

I just fired up the Ground Hog Day 2009 TT for Warrington and that's what it does, it's a great little function but thought I point that out as it's probably something behind the scenes that's doing it which is also probably very easy to fix.

Congrats on the update though as there's features that I've wanted for a while :)
You can read more about Class of Service Rules on the Wiki. The new feature tells you exactly what Class of Service Rule will be used for a particular train.

"Passengers for New Lane, should be seated in the rear coach of the train " - Opinions are my own and not those of my employer
Log in to reply
SimSig - Loader 5.27 (TaCOma) - Released 15/11/2023 at 08:02 #154096
ajax103
Avatar
1108 posts
headshot119 in post 154083 said:
ajax103 in post 154078 said:
Some very welcomed features however with the regards to the Class of Service function, it seems to refer to Class 325 mail services as suggesting to use Passenger as the Class of Service - shouldn't it recognise the fact that the Class 325 is not a passenger train and instead suggest that Goods is chosen as the Class of Service?

Does it just look at the headcode to offer a suggestion and not the train type? If that's the case, could it not look at the train type instead if it's actually possible?

I just fired up the Ground Hog Day 2009 TT for Warrington and that's what it does, it's a great little function but thought I point that out as it's probably something behind the scenes that's doing it which is also probably very easy to fix.

Congrats on the update though as there's features that I've wanted for a while :)
You can read more about Class of Service Rules on the Wiki. The new feature tells you exactly what Class of Service Rule will be used for a particular train.
I'm sorry Karl, maybe the question wasn't clear but with the new coding in place that "suggests" what to use as a Class of Service, how does it work in the background? Does it simply go by what the train type uses, does it go by what headcode is in use? How does it know what to offer as a suggestion?

I was using it twice last night while timetabling and it gave me two suggestions (charter train and passenger) for what where Class 325 operated mail trains

It is a useful tool though but I was curious how it worked behind the scenes.

The other thing I was hoping to see but I don't know if the bug has been resolved or not was the category bug with the description $template not updating automatically after a event such as trains joining or spliting eg a 9 car Class 222 + Class 222 forming a 5 car set and a 4 car set with the description fields updated automatically.

Log in to reply
SimSig - Loader 5.27 (TaCOma) - Released 15/11/2023 at 10:33 #154106
lazzer
Avatar
606 posts
The user content feature is a good idea, but there's one thing I noticed about it. When you click on a sim name on the left and expand the contents below, moving up and down the expanded list with the arrow keys doesn't update the panel to the right. You have to left-click with the mouse. Is this easily changed?

A minor point, I know :-)

Log in to reply
SimSig - Loader 5.27 (TaCOma) - Released 15/11/2023 at 10:51 #154108
bill_gensheet
Avatar
1330 posts
ajax103 in post 154096 said:

I'm sorry Karl, maybe the question wasn't clear but with the new coding in place that "suggests" what to use as a Class of Service, how does it work in the background? Does it simply go by what the train type uses, does it go by what headcode is in use? How does it know what to offer as a suggestion?

I was using it twice last night while timetabling and it gave me two suggestions (charter train and passenger) for what where Class 325 operated mail trains

It is a useful tool though but I was curious how it worked behind the scenes.
The text is not a suggestion, it is an output telling you what the COS rules have deduced, and therefore what COS will be applied to, that train.
The inputs are:
TD (first character in the default rules)
'Speed Class' (eg EMU, SP etc)
Freight line speeds ticked (Yes/No)

There may be a case for an explicit 'Parcels' COS to be set directly or by custom rules.
(Will create Mantis if likely to be taken on).

Log in to reply
The following user said thank you: ajax103
SimSig - Loader 5.27 (TaCOma) - Released 15/11/2023 at 10:58 #154109
ajax103
Avatar
1108 posts
bill_gensheet in post 154108 said:
ajax103 in post 154096 said:

I'm sorry Karl, maybe the question wasn't clear but with the new coding in place that "suggests" what to use as a Class of Service, how does it work in the background? Does it simply go by what the train type uses, does it go by what headcode is in use? How does it know what to offer as a suggestion?

I was using it twice last night while timetabling and it gave me two suggestions (charter train and passenger) for what where Class 325 operated mail trains

It is a useful tool though but I was curious how it worked behind the scenes.
The text is not a suggestion, it is an output telling you what the COS rules have deduced, and therefore what COS will be applied to, that train.
The inputs are:
TD (first character in the default rules)
'Speed Class' (eg EMU, SP etc)
Freight line speeds ticked (Yes/No)

There may be a case for an explicit 'Parcels' COS to be set directly or by custom rules.
(Will create Mantis if likely to be taken on).
That's precisely what I was after, thank you and yes it would be nice if we could have a 'Parcels' COS if that could be possible?

Log in to reply
SimSig - Loader 5.27 (TaCOma) - Released 15/11/2023 at 12:14 #154112
Meld
Avatar
1104 posts
Since we are talking 325s here the simplest solution is to set the COS to excursion

Older timetables where parcels ran either as class 3/4 you do the same

No need for a separate COS there arern't that many services operated by 325s so its no biggy to just alter the COS on the notes tab to excursion

Passed the age to be doing 'Spoon Feeding' !!!
Log in to reply
SimSig - Loader 5.27 (TaCOma) - Released 15/11/2023 at 12:16 #154113
headshot119
Avatar
4869 posts
lazzer in post 154106 said:
The user content feature is a good idea, but there's one thing I noticed about it. When you click on a sim name on the left and expand the contents below, moving up and down the expanded list with the arrow keys doesn't update the panel to the right. You have to left-click with the mouse. Is this easily changed?

A minor point, I know :-)
Could you let us know which OS you are using? And do you get the same behaviour when using the arrow keys on the simulation list?

"Passengers for New Lane, should be seated in the rear coach of the train " - Opinions are my own and not those of my employer
Log in to reply
SimSig - Loader 5.27 (TaCOma) - Released 15/11/2023 at 12:29 #154114
jc92
Avatar
3632 posts
Meld in post 154112 said:
Since we are talking 325s here the simplest solution is to set the COS to excursion

Older timetables where parcels ran either as class 3/4 you do the same

No need for a separate COS there aren't that many services operated by 325s so its no biggy to just alter the COS on the notes tab to excursion
ECS might be more appropriate arguably as it allows early entry and early departure by default, although you lose the wrong platform penalty. Excursion will force on time entry.

"We don't stop camborne wednesdays"
Log in to reply
SimSig - Loader 5.27 (TaCOma) - Released 15/11/2023 at 12:36 #154116
lazzer
Avatar
606 posts
headshot119 in post 154113 said:
lazzer in post 154106 said:
The user content feature is a good idea, but there's one thing I noticed about it. When you click on a sim name on the left and expand the contents below, moving up and down the expanded list with the arrow keys doesn't update the panel to the right. You have to left-click with the mouse. Is this easily changed?

A minor point, I know :-)
Could you let us know which OS you are using? And do you get the same behaviour when using the arrow keys on the simulation list?
Yes, I'm using Windows 10 (version 22H2). Do you mean the list of sims when choosing one to play? If so, then yes - the right panel of the "Start New Simulation" popup DOES update when using arrow keys. I assume you don't mean the list of sims in the new "User Content" popup, as you DO need to click on one of those to expand.

Log in to reply
The following user said thank you: headshot119
SimSig - Loader 5.27 (TaCOma) - Released 15/11/2023 at 12:52 #154117
postal
Avatar
5200 posts
Online
jc92 in post 154114 said:
Meld in post 154112 said:
Since we are talking 325s here the simplest solution is to set the COS to excursion

Older timetables where parcels ran either as class 3/4 you do the same

No need for a separate COS there aren't that many services operated by 325s so its no biggy to just alter the COS on the notes tab to excursion
ECS might be more appropriate arguably as it allows early entry and early departure by default, although you lose the wrong platform penalty. Excursion will force on time entry.
You have to be a bit cautious with that as some of the 325 schedules are aligned to the availability of the mail for despatch and in those cases an early departure is most definitely a no-no.

“In life, there is always someone out there, who won’t like you, for whatever reason, don’t let the insecurities in their lives affect yours.” – Rashida Rowe
Log in to reply
The following user said thank you: Meld
SimSig - Loader 5.27 (TaCOma) - Released 15/11/2023 at 18:33 #154122
Steamer
Avatar
3936 posts
Online
postal in post 154117 said:
jc92 in post 154114 said:
Meld in post 154112 said:
Since we are talking 325s here the simplest solution is to set the COS to excursion

Older timetables where parcels ran either as class 3/4 you do the same

No need for a separate COS there aren't that many services operated by 325s so its no biggy to just alter the COS on the notes tab to excursion
ECS might be more appropriate arguably as it allows early entry and early departure by default, although you lose the wrong platform penalty. Excursion will force on time entry.
You have to be a bit cautious with that as some of the 325 schedules are aligned to the availability of the mail for despatch and in those cases an early departure is most definitely a no-no.
Would re-naming the class of service "Parcels/Charter" save a lot of confusion, as the general parameters are the same for both? i.e. passenger linespeeds, waits for time, OK for goods lines?

There are other methods to allow early departures and the like for specific trains at specific locations.

"Don't stress/ relax/ let life roll off your backs./ Except for death and paying taxes/ everything in life.../ is only for now." (Avenue Q)
Last edited: 15/11/2023 at 18:34 by Steamer
Reason: None given

Log in to reply
SimSig - Loader 5.27 (TaCOma) - Released 15/11/2023 at 18:41 #154123
bill_gensheet
Avatar
1330 posts
postal in post 154117 said:
jc92 in post 154114 said:
Meld in post 154112 said:
Since we are talking 325s here the simplest solution is to set the COS to excursion

Older timetables where parcels ran either as class 3/4 you do the same

No need for a separate COS there aren't that many services operated by 325s so its no biggy to just alter the COS on the notes tab to excursion
ECS might be more appropriate arguably as it allows early entry and early departure by default, although you lose the wrong platform penalty. Excursion will force on time entry.
You have to be a bit cautious with that as some of the 325 schedules are aligned to the availability of the mail for despatch and in those cases an early departure is most definitely a no-no.
Excursion or ECS will however enable the passenger delays.
I was thinking as below:

COS Parcel
Enters Early? YES
Departs Early? NO (?)
Passenger Delays? NO
Wrong Platform Penalty? YES
Use Goods Lines? YES


Were RM employees allowed to travel on goods lines on a TPO (which would be class 1) ?

Reformat due to font issues.....

Last edited: 15/11/2023 at 19:09 by bill_gensheet
Reason: Reformat due to font issues.....

Log in to reply
SimSig - Loader 5.27 (TaCOma) - Released 15/11/2023 at 18:47 #154124
0D07
Avatar
65 posts
Yes RES Royal Mail Class 1 services with RM Members of staff on board was permitted to use Goods Lines. Lines at Wembley PRDC, Doncaster and Low Fell, Dallam are still classed as goods lines.

Regards,

Delta Zero Seven

Log in to reply
The following users said thank you: bill_gensheet, jc92
SimSig - Loader 5.27 (TaCOma) - Released 16/11/2023 at 08:52 #154132
Giantray
Avatar
335 posts
Online
Congrats to Geoff & Co on the new Loader features. One of the most frustrating things with Simsig was the inability to use reminders in certain scenarios. Having the ability to put on Line Reminders easierly and other additions to reminders has added more realism to the Simsig experience. Now Line Blockages, Engineer Possessions can be shown and be easily seen.

The only out standing realism feature missing is the S&T Techs ringing in when they are on site of a failure. Presently you cannot make any informed decisions with trains because you have no idea when a failure is going to be worked on and possibly fixed, knowing the Techs are in attendence helps. Presently I wait awhile, then collar up the area for what might be a Line Blockage taken for the S&T to attend and then work trains around it rather than through the fault if possible.

Retired Professional Railwayman (1981-2023); Pway & S&T (1981-88); Former Signalman/Signaller/ Signalling Trainer (1989-2023) [AB, TCB, Mechanical, NX, WestCad, Hitachi SARS]; Railway Historian (esp.SER, LCDR); Member of The Permanent Way Institution..
Log in to reply
The following user said thank you: sunocske
SimSig - Loader 5.27 (TaCOma) - Released 16/11/2023 at 18:23 #154155
GeoffM
Avatar
6311 posts
Giantray in post 154132 said:
Congrats to Geoff & Co on the new Loader features. One of the most frustrating things with Simsig was the inability to use reminders in certain scenarios. Having the ability to put on Line Reminders easierly and other additions to reminders has added more realism to the Simsig experience. Now Line Blockages, Engineer Possessions can be shown and be easily seen.

The only out standing realism feature missing is the S&T Techs ringing in when they are on site of a failure. Presently you cannot make any informed decisions with trains because you have no idea when a failure is going to be worked on and possibly fixed, knowing the Techs are in attendence helps. Presently I wait awhile, then collar up the area for what might be a Line Blockage taken for the S&T to attend and then work trains around it rather than through the fault if possible.
Mantis 39741 - also to address the issue of failures happening immediately after a previous one has been fixed.

SimSig Boss
Log in to reply
The following user said thank you: Soton_Speed
SimSig - Loader 5.27 (TaCOma) - Released 16/11/2023 at 23:07 #154164
9pN1SEAp
Avatar
1120 posts
Online
Hi,

On Derby I notified the Station Supervisor of a platform alteration, even after a few minutes the new platform isn't being reflected in the Line-Up?

Thanks
Jamie

Jamie S (JAMS)
Log in to reply
SimSig - Loader 5.27 (TaCOma) - Released 17/11/2023 at 07:14 #154169
headshot119
Avatar
4869 posts
9pN1SEAp in post 154164 said:
Hi,

On Derby I notified the Station Supervisor of a platform alteration, even after a few minutes the new platform isn't being reflected in the Line-Up?

Thanks
Jamie
Hmmmm, I'll have a look at it a bit later, but it's intentional at the moment. Trust and printed simplifiers don't change when you do a platform alteration being the logic behind it.

"Passengers for New Lane, should be seated in the rear coach of the train " - Opinions are my own and not those of my employer
Log in to reply
SimSig - Loader 5.27 (TaCOma) - Released 19/11/2023 at 13:19 #154204
304033
Avatar
54 posts
First of all. LOVE this Line Up and User Timetables addition... Thank you.

Not sure if someone else has made you aware, but on the LINEUP screen, if you resize the Window the TIPLOC button seems to be stuck in its starting position and then overlaps etc. See attached.




Post has attachments. Log in to view them.
Log in to reply
The following users said thank you: wulf, snapscan
SimSig - Loader 5.27 (TaCOma) - Released 19/11/2023 at 13:21 #154205
headshot119
Avatar
4869 posts
Glad you are enjoying the new features.

Mantis 39757 to take care of the button.

"Passengers for New Lane, should be seated in the rear coach of the train " - Opinions are my own and not those of my employer
Log in to reply
SimSig - Loader 5.27 (TaCOma) - Released 19/11/2023 at 17:20 #154209
Sidestick Priority
Avatar
39 posts
I would like to add my thanks for these new features, in particular the line up function which is proving very helpful and useful indeed.


It would be handy if the line up window remembered the last location used when opening it again later. The same goes for the simplifier.


Thanks again for all your hard work.

JAS

Log in to reply
SimSig - Loader 5.27 (TaCOma) - Released 19/11/2023 at 17:49 #154210
headshot119
Avatar
4869 posts
Mantis 39762 to see if we can make an improvement along those lines.
"Passengers for New Lane, should be seated in the rear coach of the train " - Opinions are my own and not those of my employer
Log in to reply
The following user said thank you: Sidestick Priority