Upcoming Games

No games to display

Full list
Add a game

Upcoming Events

No events to display

Midland Mainline changes

You are here: Home > Forum > Miscellaneous > The real thing (anything else rail-oriented) > Midland Mainline changes

Page 1 of 1

Midland Mainline changes 16/07/2014 at 18:06 #62793
2650 posts
Today I traveled from Chesterfield to High Wycombe via London St. Pancras Int'l & Marylebone. I noticed a couple of things that have changed on the Midland Mainline between Bedford & St. Pancras. Firstly I see Cricklewood T&RSMD has now been completely demolished & ait looks as if the land was being leveled for the laying of some new track? Does anyone know if this is the case? Secondly & more interestingly about 1 signal section length to the London side of Harlington station looks like they are laying another track which no only has the OLE masts been extended to cover this additional line, but there are also a couple of new signals errected on this line. The line extends quite some distance running past a landfil site & re-joining the Up Slow line just before Sundon Park neutral section. Does anyone know what this is in aid of? I wondered whether they were going to run the Cricklewood waste train to this location as it no londer runs to Forders Sdgs, but to Calvert last I heard that is. So seems very interesting that that part of the Midland mainline is going from 4 tracks to 5. If anyone knows the answers I'd be keen to find out what they are.
The following user said thank you: CTCThiago
Midland Mainline changes 16/07/2014 at 18:46 #62794
Ianno
28 posts
I would presume that the changes at Cricklewood are part of the works to remodel the depot to take Thameslink Class 700 rolling stock. Happy to be corrected on this!

The changes south of Harlington are to do with the construction of a new Up Goods Loop at Sundon, to improve capacity and regulation opportunities for southbound freight services.

The following user said thank you: 58050
Midland Mainline changes 16/07/2014 at 18:55 #62795
2650 posts
Thanks for the updates. I do hope in the case of an Up Goods Loop at Harlington/Sundon that may lead to more freight coming back onto the midland mainline.
Midland Mainline changes 16/07/2014 at 20:37 #62799
Peter Bennet
5360 posts
" said:
I would presume that the changes at Cricklewood are part of the works to remodel the depot to take Thameslink Class 700 rolling stock. Happy to be corrected on this!
Main depots are to be at Hornsey and Three Bridges. Though there maybe stabling points elsewhere.

Peter

I identify as half man half biscuit - crumbs!
Last edited: 16/07/2014 at 20:38 by Peter Bennet
Midland Mainline changes 17/07/2014 at 11:13 #62804
Danny252
1461 posts
" said:
" said:
Main depots are to be at Hornsey and Three Bridges. Though there maybe stabling points elsewhere.

Peter
I think that's pretty much the case with the current Thameslink stock too, isn't it? Certainly heavy maintenance is all done at Hornsey, rather than Cricklewood.

Any hints as to where EMT stock will stable? In the various Simsig timetables, they do store a few units at Cricklewood, and I can't think of many nearby locations where they could stick them instead.

Last edited: 17/07/2014 at 11:17 by Danny252
Midland Mainline changes 26/07/2014 at 13:51 #63173
Bagnall2067
17 posts
I believe I am correct in saying that most maintenance for the Thameslink fleet takes place at Hornsey and Bedford, with Cricklewood primarily a stabling point? I know additonal stabling for the 700s besides Hornsey and Bridges has been part of the plan, with Brighton down yard being updated recently to provide stabling as part of the Thameslink Programme.